Panthers vs Devils - 4 Nov - League

RedDevil17

It’s quite obvious that Blood stops and Henderson deliberately skates into him and falls over to feign injury...no biasedness involved!! :)

Last edited:

Mooney#16

I’m not. He stopped up in the slot and then wanted to take a move rearwards to give himself a yard if the one timer pass came. That’s a standard hockey play. Henderson on the back check just didn’t see it coming and rode into it. I wouldn’t even class it as a hit just blood positioning in the slot for a shot and an accidental collision. I wouldn’t even give a two min interference it’s that accidental for me.

In all honesty I think given the injury you look for some element of guilt from somebody but that is a pretty low bar to set for a ban.

Unfortunate for Henderson but a hockey play I would say. Fully understand that could be a disagreeable viewpoint mind if you question bloods motives for adjusting backwards.

If you notice blood does this kind of move when also trying to hit people in to the boards!! Imo he knows exactly what he is doing and maybe a game ban that’s all.

Curiosity and time on my hands this morning, so just looked at Bowns v import nm stats so far (league games only). See stats below for breakdown.

Cardiff have 3 forwards in top 30 point scorers and 4 D in top 30 for D men, the 2nd highest of which is Reddick.

Goals against average is 2.16, Belfast 2.17, Fife 3, Nottingham 3.11.
Goals for average is 4.41, Belfast 3.82, Fife 4.06, Nottingham 3

Maybe losses cant be explained as easily as blaming the D and the NM?

Some of the best games I’ve seen Devils play have been when they have played team D i.e. all 5 players getting back to help. I think they have got away from this in a few games this season, particularly in the 3 losses where the other team have played very good team defence. It nullifies Devils offensive style and it’s something which has happened before in losses.

But, its too early to press the panic button, as others have said Devils went through a similar period last year and the season didn’t turn out too badly in the end. I’m sure the team will learn from it and move on.

League game stats:
Nottingham Bowns 92.85 Garnett 90.90 W
Sheffield Bowns 93.94 Whistle 50.00 Day 91.66 W
Nottingham Bowns 88.57 Garnett 85.71 L
Glasgow Bowns 92.56 Rumpel 73.68 W
Dundee Bowns 92.85 Sjogren 91.43 W
Manchester Bowns 96.55 Ginn85.18 W
Dundee Bowns 93.94 Sjogren 83.33 W
Sheffield Bowns 93.33 Whistle 62.50 W
Fife Bowns 92.31 Owen 82.50 W
Glasgow Bowns 100.00 Rumpel 96.30 W
Coventry Bowns 81.82 Killeeen 100 Hedley 87.09 L
Nottingham Bowns 93.48 Garnett 90.00 L

Temme

I’m not. He stopped up in the slot and then wanted to take a move rearwards to give himself a yard if the one timer pass came. That’s a standard hockey play. Henderson on the back check just didn’t see it coming and rode into it. I wouldn’t even class it as a hit just blood positioning in the slot for a shot and an accidental collision. I wouldn’t even give a two min interference it’s that accidental for me.

In all honesty I think given the injury you look for some element of guilt from somebody but that is a pretty low bar to set for a ban.

Unfortunate for Henderson but a hockey play I would say. Fully understand that could be a disagreeable viewpoint mind if you question bloods motives for adjusting backwards.
Can't agree with this, look at the moments after they enter the zone but before contact; Blood has eyes on the Nottingham player the entire time.

If this is an accidental contact play with Blood going for positioning then fair enough.

However Blood is 100% aware of the Nottingham players positioning, and is the player that instigates contact. We can determine this because Blood alters his course toward the Panthers player, whilst looking at him the whole time, the Panthers player is unaware of Bloods positioning nor his intent, and the onus in this instance would be for Blood to let-up on the hit. Upon contact Blood doesn't flinch, therefore he is aware that there is contact coming prior to the hit being made.

(There's the DOPS write-up done in advance :p )

I suspect a 1-2 game ban and an upgrade to 5+match for interference.

Mooney#16

I've looked back at that like 10 times. I can conceed Blood is also putting a pick on the defenceman by cutting infront and taking the lane away but again that is a standard hockey play. 2 min interference penalty maybe because he backs in but if that's a match and a ban that is completely punishing the injury and not the play.

Picks are interference so it's always a fine line when playing them but the trick is to get to that piece of ice first. A guy can't just skate into you and claim interference. You have to go around him. Blood owns the ice first and Henderson skates to the contact also so it's not cut a dried because Henderson got injured. My opinion. 2 mins as he extended rear.

Good debating point though.

Temme

I've looked back at that like 10 times. I can conceed Blood is also putting a pick on the defenceman by cutting infront and taking the lane away but again that is a standard hockey play. 2 min interference penalty maybe because he backs in but if that's a match and a ban that is completely punishing the injury and not the play.

Picks are interference so it's always a fine line when playing them but the trick is to get to that piece of ice first. A guy can't just skate into you and claim interference. You have to go around him. Blood owns the ice first and Henderson skates to the contact also so it's not cut a dried because Henderson got injured. My opinion. 2 mins as he extended rear.

Good debating point though.
Tend to agree, maybe a ban would be punishing injury rather than incident.
I didn't go to the game and highlights are limited - maybe on the match footage there's something more that happened at the other end for this to happen.

It is a pretty standard "interference but not really" kind of play - something which we've only in the last 3 years become good at, but Belfast/Sheffield seemed to be experts!

I don't believe he's gone into him with the intention of making a hit, but he has gone with the intention of stopping the Nottingham player, maybe just Blood didn't know just how "unaware" he was that contact was on it's way?

Excellent debating point, always love a borderline play!!!

My assumption though is 100% that if Nottingham had requested a review they wouldn't put it on their highlights?

KaneDevils

Agree with Mooney. No way is a ban warranted for that. He's trying to be smart as opposed to dirty. It's not even a hit, simply trying to block the players skating lane.

Take a look at the hit by Ben Blood on Kevin Henderson @ 6:55 on those highlights.
- illegal hit (Henderson didn't have the puck, hadn't had the puck at all during the play, so it can't even be said to be a late hit)
- dangerous play (as Henderson didn't have the puck, he wouldn't be expecting to be hit)
- deliberate hit - #77 changes course and lowers his body for the hit
- injury ( Henderson out 4-6 weeks )
According to the Elite League website, DOPS should automatically review that - "All injury situations regardless of on-ice call" - DOPS FAQ - Automatic Reviews

If it had been a Cardiff player on the receiving end of that, how many games would you want the offender to get banned for?

You rarely seem to post on THF nowadays Shaggy so you may not have seen it but a few months back, following an early season game between the sides, another Panthers fan expressed the view that Nottingham have their own special way of dealing with Cardiff players who offend against Nottingham players and are subsequently inadequately punished (in Nottingham’s judgement) by DOPS for the alleged offence. It was an implied -and utterly disgraceful- reference to Tyson Marsh being knocked out (and seriously injured) by Cam Janssen.

Hopefully you don’t share the view of your brain-dead fellow Panthers fan but, just in case you should have some empathy with it, can you kindly inform us exactly how many banned games it will take to appease Nottingham so we may rest assured that Blood will not be subjected to a full on assault when the teams next meet?

It may help your deliberations to take account of another Panthers fan’s view on THF who said in regard to the incident -

"Consensus appears to be that he (Henderson) was unlucky rather than victim of a heinous crime"

Having met a lot of Panthers fans, I know the decent, fair minded ones greatly outnumber the embarrassing idiots that also reside among them ( we have some too as do all teams) but I must say I was disappointed that the obnoxious post I refer to above was not more roundly condemned. What’s your view on it?

BostonBart22

Take a look at the hit by Ben Blood on Kevin Henderson @ 6:55 on those highlights.
- illegal hit (Henderson didn't have the puck, hadn't had the puck at all during the play, so it can't even be said to be a late hit)
- dangerous play (as Henderson didn't have the puck, he wouldn't be expecting to be hit)
- deliberate hit - #77 changes course and lowers his body for the hit
- injury ( Henderson out 4-6 weeks )
According to the Elite League website, DOPS should automatically review that - "All injury situations regardless of on-ice call" - DOPS FAQ - Automatic Reviews

If it had been a Cardiff player on the receiving end of that, how many games would you want the offender to get banned for?
DOPS been red hot this season and issued bans on mondays after weekend, dont think it warrants a review tbh for all we know it may have been reviewed and thrown out..

Mazzoak

No comparison, chalk and cheese, one was a dick without a friggin clue, but our man has done it been there, and the other pretender couldn’t hold a candle to him. Don’t ever compare our man to the other pretender.

I’m not comparing, my point was referencing Thommo poor recruitment for 2018. I don’t know if that was a result of budget restrictions, poor advice or pressure. Lord has none of those, so his focus is far less blurry.

It's a strange incident to watch but I would agree that it's just a normal positioning play which has had an unfortunate outcome for the Nottingham player, i don't see why Blood would deserve any kind of ban for riding the contact which the Nottingham player didn't, I don't think there would be any kind of ban if the Nottingham player had bowled into the back of Blood knocking him over, maybe just a 2minute penalty on the night

The brain dead Panthers "fan" on THF has given his view on the incident-

"I don’t think he meant to injure Henderson but Blood knew what he was doing. I’d like to see Doty deal with him next game. If Blood won’t fight then take a run at a star."

Come on Shaggy, or any of the other Nottingham fans who post on here, tell us what you think of this guy who could possibly be sat next to you at the NIC.

"I don’t think he meant to injure Henderson but Blood knew what he was doing. I’d like to see Doty deal with him next game. If Blood won’t fight then take a run at a star."

Come on Shaggy, or any of the other Nottingham fans who post on here, tell us what you think of this guy who could possibly be sat next to you at the NIC.
I don't agree with him. But that doesn't stop him from having an opinion. Everyone's entitled to one.

I am a fan of sticking up for your teammates though, in a morally, acceptable, hockey way.

Im not sure what you're referring to in your earlier post though when you mention a "full on assault"? If you're referring to the Janssen vs Marsh fight then I don't see how that was assault, just an unfortunate consequence of a fight. Whilst the Blood/Henderson incident doesn't come anywhere near the Marsh hit on Brad Moran, if it had, I'd have wanted Doty to do what Janssen did and call whoever it was out for a fight (obviously wishing it didn't end the same way).

I'll be honest, I think Henderson was just unfortunate in this instance, maybe Blood knew what he was doing, but who knows? It doesn't matter now, he's gone and even if you get an import slot banned, you're already short so it doesn't matter.

kettdevil1

I suspect Zuki probably has his own Hannibal Lecter style position at the NIC and is fed raw meat before games.... I would not view him as representative of Nottingham fans, or hockey fans in general....

BostonBart22

Think doty got a hand injury of late aint fought for a while...bring it on if he wants , Batch will sort him out..