Panthers vs Devils - 4 Nov - League

kettdevil1

I’m always in the wrong on here no matter what I say!!
Yes bowns had a good game everyone has said so,
But why is it not his fault when we concede 5 to flames and 6 to blaze??

No one mentions bowns then,
they only ever mention reddick blood etc ?
Having an opinion is not wrong..... however, if you have an opinion that the vast majority of ice hockey fans would not agree with, then clearly you must be prepared to defend your position... preferably with facts!!

I was not at the Blaze game so I am going off the highlights which suggest that a whole host of players were caught napping and the malaise that we saw yesterday was evident from what I have seen. I would argue that blaming Bowns for the defeat neglects the part others played. It also shows scant regard for the bigger picture.

This weekend we played poorly at key points of the game but I would argue that overall this season we have reached heights of play that I am struggling to better.... as evidenced by our record in the league, the CHL, the cup and Bowns’ stats. If you are arguing that Murdy should play a few more games, that is one thing. If you are arguing that we should replace Bowns then that is another....

As for Reddick, I completely accept that he gives 100%. My problem is that he needs the right pairing to be a good fit. Others (Ritchie being a good example) can adjust more readily when given a new D partner, I would suggest Reddick is less capable of doing that. Doesn’t mean I think he is a poor player, just that he needs different things and when not present, the mistakes come.

Just my opinion of course,

august04

I'm not far from that point myself sadly, I used to visit and post far more frequently. The people who run this forum have given us a great resource to debate and chat Devils hockey, and it's not their fault, but at times it's just outright embarrassing.

I mean... two defeats and people are already naming players who should be replaced from this highly successful team.

What would happen on here if we were a midtable in the EIHL? Calling out Bowns after he made 40-plus saves last night. Wtf?!
You can always block an individual poster! If reading someone’s different opinion (no matter how right or wrong you think it is) upsets you so much, then perhaps forums are not for you. The Inferno is actually very tame when compared with some other sports forums that I’ve seen.

Hedd Wyn John

Just remind me - how many saves did Bowns make last night

Was it only 43 - obviously not good enough
While Bowns might let the odd ‘soft’ one in every now & again, he’s human! All goalies give away the odd soft goal every once in a while. The fact is he makes terrific saves time & time again. I’ve lost count the amount of games Bowns has kept the Devils in the game with his saves. Even when we’ve been playing badly Bowns saves usually keep the score line close. Losing Bowns would be a huge loss.

kingmo19.1

I’m always in the wrong on here no matter what I say!!
Yes bowns had a good game everyone has said so,
But why is it not his fault when we concede 5 to flames and 6 to blaze??

No one mentions bowns then,
they only ever mention reddick blood etc ?
Are you Reddick in disguise????? :):)

Wannabe2

Your right on there mate, you are usually in the wrong. Our dodgy keeper has the 2nd best save % in the league, why don’t you try digesting that, 2nd best save % in the league. Is that really so difficult to comprehend, We have just had a stinker of a weekend, but in all honesty we hope but don’t expect a result in Nottingham. Big week coming up let’s do this.

It's all that Sam Duggan's fault since he joined our form has been terrible...

/sarcasm

In all seriousness though, the squad has been playing at a very high + consistant level for pretty much all the season. The new guys seemed to settle really quickly and some of the older ones seemed better than ever.

Better we have a blip now rather than later in the season, respect also has to be given to other teams, as coaches as well as players adjust to the eihl + improve their game.

I'm not an fan of singling out players especially for one game, overall our team defense has been great, our offense has been great + our goaltending has been solid from both bowns + murdy.

If it turns into a losing streak like what the panthers had last season then yeah it's a problem but I trust Lordo to come up with a solution, get the boys working hard and snap back into the zone.

Wannabe2

It's all that Sam Duggan's fault since he joined our form has been terrible...

/sarcasm

In all seriousness though, the squad has been playing at a very high + consistant level for pretty much all the season. The new guys seemed to settle really quickly and some of the older ones seemed better than ever.

Better we have a blip now rather than later in the season, respect also has to be given to other teams, as coaches as well as players adjust to the eihl + improve their game.

I'm not an fan of singling out players especially for one game, overall our team defense has been great, our offense has been great + our goaltending has been solid from both bowns + murdy.

If it turns into a losing streak like what the panthers had last season then yeah it's a problem but I trust Lordo to come up with a solution, get the boys working hard and snap back into the zone.
Exactly

KaneDevils

It's simple really, if bowns let's in a soft one, then say. It happens, he's a human being. But, you can't and shouldn't judge his or any other goalies performance on how many goals he let's in. Bowns could let in 10 in his next game, doesn't mean he's at fault for any of them. We do Have defenders who's job is ..... to..... stop goals too, I believe.

I remember once at st James park, Liverpool beat Newcastle 5.1. Man of the match, shay given. Newcastle goalie.

Mazzoak

Bowns performance is a reflection of the team, full stop. How anybody can do that position is mind boggling.
Our defence isn’t closing lanes down effectively, that’s a coaching issue, easily addressed with the calibre of players in the squad. Lords been consistently slow setting lines, it’s not a criticism, it’s how he coaches, frustrated past players, but ultimately he’s the boss. It’ll come, I don’t believe Lordo is going to do a Thommo anytime soon.

Wannabe2

No comparison, chalk and cheese, one was a dick without a friggin clue, but our man has done it been there, and the other pretender couldn’t hold a candle to him. Don’t ever compare our man to the other pretender.

Take a look at the hit by Ben Blood on Kevin Henderson @ 6:55 on those highlights.
- illegal hit (Henderson didn't have the puck, hadn't had the puck at all during the play, so it can't even be said to be a late hit)
- dangerous play (as Henderson didn't have the puck, he wouldn't be expecting to be hit)
- deliberate hit - #77 changes course and lowers his body for the hit
- injury ( Henderson out 4-6 weeks )
According to the Elite League website, DOPS should automatically review that - "All injury situations regardless of on-ice call" - DOPS FAQ - Automatic Reviews

If it had been a Cardiff player on the receiving end of that, how many games would you want the offender to get banned for?

Devil94

I would say possibly one game max, due to the outcome. Don't think there was any intent to injure there, but should have been called interference on the ice.

kettdevil1

Take a look at the hit by Ben Blood on Kevin Henderson @ 6:55 on those highlights.
- illegal hit (Henderson didn't have the puck, hadn't had the puck at all during the play, so it can't even be said to be a late hit)
- dangerous play (as Henderson didn't have the puck, he wouldn't be expecting to be hit)
According to the Elite League website, DOPS should automatically review that - "All injury situations regardless of on-ice call" - DOPS FAQ - Automatic Reviews

If it had been a Cardiff player on the receiving end of that, how many games would you want the offender to get banned for?
It’s a good question and Blood might end up sitting for 1 or 2 but ... trying hard to be neutral here. Although the hit was definitely interference and Blood’s body positioning (and on ice positioning) won’t help his case, my feeling is that the injury is caused by Henderson’s arm getting tucked up with his stick rather than any great violence the hit has. It looks the sort of injury that could have happened on any play and although very unfortunate for Henderson, I would not say it was a particularly bad hit.

Clearly DOPS are likely to review it but my feeling is that the outcome I suspect likely to be (in order of likeliness), 1 game, nothing, 2 games.....

What’s your call Shaggy?

Koop11

Bowns is an asset we are lucky to have. It’s fair to say this has been an indifferent start to a season. He hasn’t been at his best. Some games he has let more than one soft goal in. Shots he sees are going in which is worrying. The next game, he’ll get a shut out. I guess there lies part of the problem; Bowns so far this season has been inconsistent, arguably the one thing you do not want a goalie to be.

The highlights from the Nottingham game on Sunday summarise Bowns’ up this season so far. Saves a number of odd man rush plays and stops over 40 shots. He then lets in a near post shot winner which he sees.

The issue right now for me is not Bowns though. Defensively, when even strength, we look wide open. We’re blessed with a talented defensive core but a calmness and reliability is needed at the back, more so as Bowns appears to be lacking something at the moment.

It’s not time for panic. Whilst a 0 point weekend is not acceptable for this club, top of the league is in our hands and we have qualified as 2nd seed in the CC. We’re been in worse positions and gone in to win silverware.

Rich Best

I am probably really biased, but I see that as completely accidental. He just stops in a circular motion and positions himself for a shot, and collides with the Nottingham player. I don't think the contact was deliberate, or that blood was even aware he was there. Perhaps why it wasn't called on the night.

jimmy snels

didnt look at player and stopped in an area you'd think was a good position. unfortunately someone was behind him. nothing in it for me. its hockey not netball

Temme

Have to be honest, looks to me like he turns his head toward the player to check where he is, then skates backwards into him.

If that was something Nottingham are looking to review i don't think they'd have put it in their highlights.

Even as a Devils fan i'm struggling to see this as a clean play.