Panthers Vs Devils - 26 Jan 19 - League

Kevlar68

Very scrappy game, didn't flow well. Camera work was bad and why is it positioned were it is and not on half way line? And watching the slow motion of risslings hit he was leaning in to the hit with knees bent extending his legs straight to add more force to the hit so I think it looks like a deliberate bad hit to me.

Another thing to note - assuming we are calling this hit Tyson Marsh v Moran mk.2 (5 game ban) - do we want to request a review?

Panthers play Belfast twice in their next 5 games.

Reviewing this hit wouldn't really benefit us.
Damn right we should ask for a review. It’s about what’s right and how the game is played, Rissling should not be allowed to get away with this kind of play without some kind of action taken.
Unfortunately, we probably won’t meet them again this year so virtually no chance of him facing the consequences on the ice like a man (massive respect to Tyson Marsh, who although fought on the night after the Moran hit, knew he had to answer the bell with Jannssen) as he probably won’t be re-signed by Panthers next year as he’s for want of a better word shite!!

Panthers will roll over for Belfast as they usually do whoever is on their roster so Rissling playing or not playing won’t be of any consequence I’m afraid.

As I say, this is about what’s right and what’s wrong, however I’m angry he wasn’t dealt with on the night by Louis or Batch, particularly after celebrating by dusting off his hands after beating one of our non fighting star forwards!
Massive respect to Layne Ulmer but I’m much more annoyed about how we responded to the hit on Mosey than actually losing the game.

hip check

Soft underbelly, how many debates have we had on here about skill/speed/physicality? we have the first 2 but imo we're lacking in the 3rd..always room for a no nonsense tough nut imo..Ulmer total respect to you taking on a fight you knew you would lose.

august04

Interesting that there’s been no reaction from Lord yet. It’s a shame we haven’t heard his thoughts on the game, unless I’ve missed it somewhere.

Last edited:

Mooney#16

It’s highly emotive but i’m not sure Louis and Batch are to blame for not holding Rissling to account as if they are on the bench they need to stay there. It wasn’t the wisest move by Ulmer but i’m in no way going to blame him for his reaction. He’s human and an absolute gamer and clearly good team mate. Unfortunately the guy who doesn’t shower himself in glory is Pope. He needed to step up but that’s hindsight talking.

The bit when I got annoyed was Guptill had the neck to go and face wash Batchy and rough him in a scrum. Guptill is Panthers leading scorer and he gave Batchy a pass on the instigator pen so Batchy should have got those gloves off pronto and gone for him. Louis also has a shot at Hurtabise and just cross checked him. These are skill guys going at our tough guys. Batchy and Louis should have taken revenge on those guys. See how Strachan likes it when his offence is getting lit up. I don’t doubt the guys toughness. They aren’t cowards. But they don’t play mean and nasty when it’s required. That is a zero tolerance hit and then throwing cheap shots at Ulmer in the fight. That should have turned into a war.

Foxy

If there is to be a review then surely Lord wont have given an interview because that is the obvious thing they're going to ask and he wont have known the full extent of Mosey's injury at the time

Temme

It’s highly emotive but i’m not sure Louis and Batch are to blame for not holding Rissling to account as if they are on the bench they need to stay there. It wasn’t the wisest move by Ulmer but i’m in no way going to blame him for his reaction. He’s human and an absolute gamer and clearly good team mate. Unfortunately the guy who doesn’t shower himself in glory is Pope. He needed to step up but that’s hindsight talking.

The bit when I got annoyed was Guptill had the neck to go and face wash Batchy and rough him in a scrum. Guptill is Panthers leading scorer and he gave Batchy a pass on the instigator pen so Batchy should have got those gloves off pronto and gone for him. Louis also has a shot at Hurtabise and just cross checked him. These are skill guys going at our tough guys. Batchy and Louis should have taken revenge on those guys. See how Strachan likes it when his offence is getting lit up. I don’t doubt the guys toughness. They aren’t cowards. But they don’t play mean and nasty when it’s required. That is a zero tolerance hit and then throwing cheap shots at Ulmer in the fight. That should have turned into a war.
I saw this and thought the same.

If you don't want the fight, drop the gloves, throw a couple and turtle.

Either way you've got to look at taking a man off the ice of Guptill's quality at EVERY opportunity.

Temme

Damn right we should ask for a review. It’s about what’s right and how the game is played, Rissling should not be allowed to get away with this kind of play without some kind of action taken.

Isn't that a bit of shooting ourselves in the foot though? We want a full strength Panthers team to go to war with them.

Panthers will roll over for Belfast as they usually do whoever is on their roster so Rissling playing or not playing won’t be of any consequence I’m afraid.

Not that i'm wishing it - but who's to say the next Rissling cheap shot isn't on Dwyer? or Rutherford? Or Baun? - We don't play them again so their roster is no longer our problem.

As I say, this is about what’s right and what’s wrong, however I’m angry he wasn’t dealt with on the night by Louis or Batch, particularly after celebrating by dusting off his hands after beating one of our non fighting star forwards!
Massive respect to Layne Ulmer but I’m much more annoyed about how we responded to the hit on Mosey than actually losing the game.

Agree.
I'm playing devils advocate here, as in my opinion we should be reviewing that hit every single day of the week, and it's clearly ban worthy - i'm just trying to highlight the fact that if this hit doesn't get reviewed then there is a potentially very good reason for it. A full strength Panthers team right now can do us more favours than it can cost us.

I'm playing devils advocate here, as in my opinion we should be reviewing that hit every single day of the week, and it's clearly ban worthy - i'm just trying to highlight the fact that if this hit doesn't get reviewed then there is a potentially very good reason for it. A full strength Panthers team right now can do us more favours than it can cost us.
Not having a go at you personally, and I guessed you were just posing a question and putting it out there!
However, it could be a moot point as my understanding is that it is an automatic DOPS review as there was an injury on the play.
Where I will take you to task though is that this season a full strength Panthers team is just as useless as an under strength one.
Apart from when they play us of course as small clubs nearly always raise their game when they get to play one of ‘the big boys’
Games against the Devils are treated like ‘cup finals’ for the biggest under achievers in British ice hockey!

Gaz G

Not having a go at you personally, and I guessed you were just posing a question and putting it out there!
However, it could be a moot point as my understanding is that it is an automatic DOPS review as there was an injury on the play.
Where I will take you to task though is that this season a full strength Panthers team is just as useless as an under strength one.
Apart from when they play us of course as small clubs nearly always raise their game when they get to play one of ‘the big boys’
Games against the Devils are treated like ‘cup finals’ for the biggest under achievers in British ice hockey!
This made me laugh.

Sliput

Another thing to note - assuming we are calling this hit Tyson Marsh v Moran mk.2 (5 game ban) - do we want to request a review?

Panthers play Belfast twice in their next 5 games.

Reviewing this hit wouldn't really benefit us.
Absolutely ask for a review. When did league titles take preference over the safety of our players ?

Plus we may have lost mosey for 3 weeks at least due to nature of injury and protocol...
I can't see Mosey playing again this season, 10/12 weeks tends to be the recovery time for a concussion that big and if you look at our clubs history of concussion injuries we never rushed players back.

The frustrating thing is Rissling will miss maybe 2-5 games IF banned and barely a scratch put on him. Mosey could miss 20 games and the playoffs.

The most frustrating thing is Darnell will have zero accountability for his performance on Saturday and will be given the tops games this weekend. I don't agree with Simmsy very often but he's suggestion of import refs might be the way forward. Especially when you look how good Smejkal was.

august04

Darnell should face suspension for that performance, as well as Rissling - ‘Hollywood’’s not fit to lace Smejkal’s skates. When would we expect some sort of DOPS announcement? I think a statement/interview from someone within the club to outline their position/Mosey’s condition would be welcome.

RedDevil17

To think that arguably the so called best ref in the league can’t see a blatant check to the head and the fact he doesn’t call it not only makes me angry but I’m also fearful of how bad it is going to get. Why isn’t action being taken on officials too? Officiating is getting worse and more inconsistent year on year and it’s seriously worrying! I fear for the players safety. Never think I would see the day that I’d agree with Simmsey in terms of getting abroad officials in? What happened to Schmejkal from last year? He was head and shoulders above anyone in the league last year in terms of officiating. Too many who have made the step up are completely out of their depth then we have Clowns like Darnell thinking it’s about himself as per usual.

Also the lack of reaction makes me sick. Why is Layne Ulmer (one of our best players) fighting Jaynen Rissling who is 6 foot 4? Pope should’ve stepped in. Funny how a few weeks ago he dropped his gloves when it was HIM who got slashed by Finucci but when it’s Mosey he just stands there?! Then he has the cheek to call out the fans a few weeks ago for being keyboard warriors then he goes and calls out Finucci on Twitter. The lack of reaction scares me. Thought we were told by Steve we would see reactions this year and our tough guys stepping up? That’s clearly not the case! Hope Mosey is ok and I too don’t think he’ll play this season which means we’ll have to dip back into the market otherwise we’ll be short handed going down the stretch which isn’t ideal.

Agree with August04 when he says Darnell should be suspended. Joke of a referee. Time for DOPS to step in even if they’ve been anomynous all year. All well and good Darnell joking about getting an IIHF rulebook for Christmas on twitter but he seriously needs to read the damn book...

RANT OVER

Last edited:

terry hunt

If my memory is correct the Devils have not asked for a review for a very long time.Was it the Marsh suspension for the "major " injury to Moran.As soon as Marsh had his career ruined Moran made a miraculous recovery.
I doubt we will ask for a review or comment.There may be concern about Ulmer getting a ban which could be a big problem with Mosey and Haddad out.
Rissling had a suspension in October i think for a check to the head so he is a repeat offender by DOPS rules.
Strachan has done an "interview" on the Panthers site.Usual rubbish about a great game/played the right way blah,blah.
He was part of signing Rissling and could be fighting for his job of course.

Wannabe2

Strachan was a crap player, and will probably be a crap coach, he could only last this long at Nottingham as he wouldn’t last5 mins anywhere else.

august04

There’s some talk that it gets reviewed because an injury occurred on the play. If that’s not the case, and we have to request a review, then we have a duty of care to players to do so in the best interests of the UK game. I don’t care about the result or that Panthers might be short handed against our rivals. There’s a much bigger picture here and we need to do the right thing in bringing this clown to justice.

BostonBart22

To think that arguably the so called best ref in the league can’t see a blatant check to the head and the fact he doesn’t call it not only makes me angry but I’m also fearful of how bad it is going to get. Why isn’t action being taken on officials too? Officiating is getting worse and more inconsistent year on year and it’s seriously worrying! I fear for the players safety. Never think I would see the day that I’d agree with Simmsey in terms of getting abroad officials in? What happened to Schmejkal from last year? He was head and shoulders above anyone in the league last year in terms of officiating. Too many who have made the step up are completely out of their depth then we have Clowns like Darnell thinking it’s about himself as per usual.

Also the lack of reaction makes me. Why is Layne Ulmer (one of our best players) fighting Jaynen Rissling who is 6 foot 4? Pope should’ve stepped in. Funny how a few weeks ago he dropped his gloves when it was HIM who got slashed by Finucci but when it’s Mosey he just stands there?! Then he has the cheek to call out the fans a few weeks ago for being keyboard warriors then he goes and calls out Finucci on Twitter. The lack of reaction scares me. Thought we were told we would see reactions this year and our tough guys stepping up? That’s clearly not the case! Hope Mosey is ok and I too don’t think he’ll play this season which means we’ll have to dip back into the market otherwise we’ll be short handed going down the stretch which isn’t ideal.

Agree with August04 when he says Darnell should be suspended. Joke of a referee. Time for DOPS to step in even if they’ve been anomynous all year. All well and good Darnell joking about getting an IIHF rulebook for Christmas on twitter but he seriously needs to read the damn book...

RANT OVER
Good rant, plus we couldve lost batch after the slew footing on him leading up to the panthers winning goal, 4 officials on ice, and not 1 picked it up, Hate to say it but VAR would be handy for those 2 missed calls..