Panthers Vs Devils - 26 Jan 19 - League

A few years ago, we’d be telling Mosey to keep his head up (and lauding the likes of Voth) but hits like that were part of the game then. That kind of hit has been outlawed now - there can be no contact to the head whether you’re taller or not. In the modern game, that hit is an absolute disgrace, as was the officiating in not calling a penalty for it. Both should be investigated by DOPS and Darnell should be publicly called out for such incompetence and made to sit a game or two himself, like they do in football when a ref gets it so badly wrong. As for Rissling, well he should be banned for at least 3 games but more importantly for me, needs to answer the Devils call at some point. Huge credit to Ulmer for having the balls to take him on but where were our ‘tough’ guys? I’m stunned and embarrassed that they didn’t do anything with Mosey laying motionless on the ice. The one piece of the puzzle that this team has been crying out for has been a tough guy who knows his principle job is to protect his team mates from cheap shit like this. Batch doesn’t have it in his nature to do that, not convinced about Louis either, despite both being good scrappers. We’re missing that deterrent and are simply not nasty enough. I still feel sickened by the hit and our response to it (except Ulmer), having watched that incident back.
So who was on the ice for the Devils at the time, I think I recal Pope and Mo, who else?

kettdevil1

I think.... and as August says we were mid change... it was Pope - Martin - Mo - Mosey - Fournier.... not the ideal set of players in that situation, Livingstone came on quickly (possibly for Martin) and then it all went into a blur

terry hunt

A few years ago, we’d be telling Mosey to keep his head up (and lauding the likes of Voth) but hits like that were part of the game then. That kind of hit has been outlawed now - there can be no contact to the head whether you’re taller or not. In the modern game, that hit is an absolute disgrace, as was the officiating in not calling a penalty for it. Both should be investigated by DOPS and Darnell should be publicly called out for such incompetence and made to sit a game or two himself, like they do in football when a ref gets it so badly wrong. As for Rissling, well he should be banned for at least 3 games but more importantly for me, needs to answer the Devils call at some point. Huge credit to Ulmer for having the balls to take him on but where were our ‘tough’ guys? I’m stunned and embarrassed that they didn’t do anything with Mosey laying motionless on the ice. The one piece of the puzzle that this team has been crying out for has been a tough guy who knows his principle job is to protect his team mates from cheap shit like this. Batch doesn’t have it in his nature to do that, not convinced about Louis either, despite both being good scrappers. We’re missing that deterrent and are simply not nasty enough. I still feel sickened by the hit and our response to it (except Ulmer), having watched that incident back.
I am against employing thugs for the sake of it.Those days are over sports people are much wiser now.
Unfortunately as much as i admire the Devils aim to play for CHL hockey other clubs dont agree.
The penny must drop surely after the sacking of Corey Neilsen and reported comments that Belfast arent interested in taking part in the CHL due to costs.
The club has to protect their players like any other employees.
I dont want to be attending any more early retirement testimonials.
I hope this incident does not impact on the team performance for the rest of the season.Our players have families and have short careers.

kettdevil1

We would have to request a review and although it might get a ban.... my feeling is no, although it should have been spotted by the on ice officials at the time.
Mosey's hit on the other hand is a more interesting case... I think all incidents where there is an injury are reviewed but if not. We may have to request a review and the Panthers play Belfast twice in the next few weeks....

What should we do?

hip check

The loss to me is a little less relevant atm. The most important thing is that Mosey is ok and makes a full recovery. What ticks me off the most is that after the hit nobody reacted. Pope was the first guy in and did nothing at all. Sad to see that one of our top snipers had to step up and fight. Ulmer has hugely gone up in my estimations and has shown up a few guys after that. Even if the hit was clean and not to the head I would expect somebody on the ice at the time to have gotten in Risslings face to make sure he doesn't want to do it again!
Agree totally, another reason to have a deterrent on the roster, if this is deemed a bad hit the culprit should have to answer for his indiscretion and that deterrent shouldn't be Ulmer, great that he stepped up to the mark but he's not a fighter..have we actually got a deterrent on the roster? it appears not.
Oh how I miss Faryna.

Devil94

Even though Panthers play Belfast soon, I still think we should go for a review. The title is still in our hands, and Rissling needs to be punished somehow, especially as we don't play Nottingham again this season.

I wonder if there's a way the club can make a formal complaint about the officials too. We're not talking about a few missed or bad calls here, we are talking about an incident which could have cost a career, and a life changing injury. And the same officials will be back out somewhere tonight and next week to let it happen to someone again.

august04

We would have to request a review and although it might get a ban.... my feeling is no, although it should have been spotted by the on ice officials at the time.
Mosey's hit on the other hand is a more interesting case... I think all incidents where there is an injury are reviewed but if not. We may have to request a review and the Panthers play Belfast twice in the next few weeks....

What should we do?
There’s a principle involved here. I don’t care whether it weakens Panthers when they play Belfast - headhunters need to be rooted out of the U.K. game and this isn’t the first time he’s been involved this season. We should absolutely request a review on this hit and failure to do so will reflect badly on our organisation.

hip check

Just remembered that’s the 3rd headshot on Mosey in as many games. Out of all 3 we’ve had one player step up. Said player wasn’t on the ice. So with 4 other team mates on the ice on 3 occasions, weve had 12 opportunities for someone to stand up for their mate but instead turned have a blind eye to 3 cheap shots. What on earth is wrong with the character of these guys? Absolutely disgusted.
Agree, where's the sense of watching your teammates backs? we've had players in the past who would've stepped straight in, if the ref doesn't take action the players should do the right thing and step up to the mark..we have a soft underbelly.

august04

I am against employing thugs for the sake of it.Those days are over sports people are much wiser now.
Unfortunately as much as i admire the Devils aim to play for CHL hockey other clubs dont agree.
The penny must drop surely after the sacking of Corey Neilsen and reported comments that Belfast arent interested in taking part in the CHL due to costs.
The club has to protect their players like any other employees.
I dont want to be attending any more early retirement testimonials.
I hope this incident does not impact on the team performance for the rest of the season.Our players have families and have short careers.
I agree, we shouldn’t have to employ “thugs” to protect our players. The governing body and match officials should be doing that. DOPS have been virtually invisible this year and I’m struggling to understand how Darnell and 3 other officials thought that was a clean hit. If the players are not getting protection from these parties, then you have to police it on the ice, or someone is going to get very badly hurt or have a career cut short. It’s as simple as that. It’s amazing what a deterrent employing the meanest, toughest SOB you can get, can be - and you might then bring these cheap shotters into line. I might be classed as out of date, but something has to be done if certain players over here have such disregard for their fellow professionals.

jimmy snels

watched it back again just now and after 24 hours i thought id post something more constructive than i was going to last night. i cant. where was our benches common sense in putting those players out there after a hit like that? why is ulmer the one with passion? where the hell were our "tough guys"? morrisette and joey martin also ragged around like rag dolls whilst ulmer got filled in.
Id even accept that utter shambles to an extent (eg. we made a poor call in the heat of the moment) if next shift we went after those guys who ragged are other guys to at least make a point, but we are so soft its unbearable let alone unbelievable. i hated watching that back. hated it. i really hope mosey is ok and the fans are listened to and next season we actually get a tough forward in. last time i felt like this was after mac falkner was taken out and no one did anything. at least G tried next game I guess. I expect no matter what if we meet him on the ice again this season someone to just fill that cheap shotting panther in. kinda falls on batch or lou as we are so short of any toughness.

what on earth was darrnel doing? he's the senior ref. the officals need to sort themselves out and meet to chat about this crap together. that should 100% be called. DOPS should be handing out a huge ban if they're serious about this kinda thing.

Temme

Another thing to note - assuming we are calling this hit Tyson Marsh v Moran mk.2 (5 game ban) - do we want to request a review?

Panthers play Belfast twice in their next 5 games.

Reviewing this hit wouldn't really benefit us.

Temme

I saw this at the time and assumed it was what it was being reviewed for. Given that they reviewed the goal, its staggering it wasn't seen!
Unfortunately it can't be used to check the trip/slew, even though they would have seen it clear as day on the replay, they would have only been able to correct the call if the puck hadn't fully crossed :(

Unfortunately it can't be used to check the trip/slew, even though they would have seen it clear as day on the replay, they would have only been able to correct the call if the puck hadn't fully crossed :(
makes sense, shame we couldn't call the review on that in the same way as goaltender interference etc.