Panthers Vs Devils - 26 Jan 19 - League

Gospel

Sorry, I'm a huge Devil fan but I wouldn't tolerate this sort of hit from our guys either. I don't remember the Benti hit but would have been just as critical of it if it was similar.
Game highlights are posted on that game thread, think its from April 2018 against Guildford, 3rd period

mweller

Everyone here seems to forget the ‘legal’ hit Benti put on Liam Stewart last season, that was deemed legal. This is a contact sport, injuries happen. Stewart is still out with from the injury & not sure if he’ll return.

If this hit had been made by a Devil most would be arguing that it was legal.
Sorry disagree with every point in this; I haven’t forgotten Liam Stewart’s injury, so don’t assume we all have. This hit was more akin to Marsh’s hit which led to a 5 match ban and which most of us thought was pretty bad. Also the guidance on this has moved on a lot precisely because we know how dangerous it is now. If it had been a devil I certainly wouldn’t have argued with at least a minor penalty. We’re not in the Voth days anymore.

jimmy snels

im seething with our team tonight. not with the result, not even for turning up in 1st gear but for watching one of our guys lit up like that and leaving ulmer to fight a guy he should never be fighting. kudos to him but he's our form guy.
ive just deleted the rest of a huge rant until ive had time to think about my words.
last ones: Darnell is a cock

Sliput

Sorry, I'm a huge Devil fan but I wouldn't tolerate this sort of hit from our guys either. I don't remember the Benti hit but would have been just as critical of it if it was similar.
And yet Voth with his cheap shots (Ashley Tait springs to mind) was treated like a god by a lot of Devils fans !!

Devils86

Apart from Bowns we were bang average tonight - sloppy across the ice and didn’t deserve the 2 points. I still believed we would get back into it at the end though.

Far too many turnovers, loose passes and rushes presented. Will need a bounce back performance in Fife tomorrow night.

Slartibartfast

There have been several hits like this one reviewed by DOPS. There is no raised elbow and no obvious intention to hit the head. HOWEVER DOPS usually invoke the rule that the checking player has a responsibility not to make contact with the head. So if the club asks for a review he will probably get a ban.

august04

A few years ago, we’d be telling Mosey to keep his head up (and lauding the likes of Voth) but hits like that were part of the game then. That kind of hit has been outlawed now - there can be no contact to the head whether you’re taller or not. In the modern game, that hit is an absolute disgrace, as was the officiating in not calling a penalty for it. Both should be investigated by DOPS and Darnell should be publicly called out for such incompetence and made to sit a game or two himself, like they do in football when a ref gets it so badly wrong. As for Rissling, well he should be banned for at least 3 games but more importantly for me, needs to answer the Devils call at some point. Huge credit to Ulmer for having the balls to take him on but where were our ‘tough’ guys? I’m stunned and embarrassed that they didn’t do anything with Mosey laying motionless on the ice. The one piece of the puzzle that this team has been crying out for has been a tough guy who knows his principle job is to protect his team mates from cheap shit like this. Batch doesn’t have it in his nature to do that, not convinced about Louis either, despite both being good scrappers. We’re missing that deterrent and are simply not nasty enough. I still feel sickened by the hit and our response to it (except Ulmer), having watched that incident back.

Last edited:

Slartibartfast

I'm sure if you watch the replay, the elbow is rising after the hit towards the face area.

Glad Mosey's posted the above.
Maybe. Looking at the replay a few times I can see that the elbow comes out a bit but not up. The picture above shows that its the shoulder that hit his head (still illegal). However I would like to see it in slow motion to be sure. Anyone got any clever video software that can do that?

bb1

The loss to me is a little less relevant atm. The most important thing is that Mosey is ok and makes a full recovery. What ticks me off the most is that after the hit nobody reacted. Pope was the first guy in and did nothing at all. Sad to see that one of our top snipers had to step up and fight. Ulmer has hugely gone up in my estimations and has shown up a few guys after that. Even if the hit was clean and not to the head I would expect somebody on the ice at the time to have gotten in Risslings face to make sure he doesn't want to do it again!

Ocko

Just remembered that’s the 3rd headshot on Mosey in as many games. Out of all 3 we’ve had one player step up. Said player wasn’t on the ice. So with 4 other team mates on the ice on 3 occasions, weve had 12 opportunities for someone to stand up for their mate but instead turned have a blind eye to 3 cheap shots. What on earth is wrong with the character of these guys? Absolutely disgusted.

bb1

Just remembered that’s the 3rd headshot on Mosey in as many games. Out of all 3 we’ve had one player step up. Said player wasn’t on the ice. So with 4 other team mates on the ice on 3 occasions, weve had 12 opportunities for someone to stand up for their mate but instead turned have a blind eye to 3 cheap shots. What on earth is wrong with the character of these guys? Absolutely disgusted.
Agree. Guys like Faryna, Hotham, Hendo, Dougie, Bordy would never of let that slide. Even Lordo himself would have gone straight for Rissling if he had been out there. Jake, Pope, Fournier and Reddick (I think) were all out there and from that there's only one guy among those that should have and could have gone after Rissling.....and the only one who would have stood a chance. No excuse will be good enough for me!

august04

If our players are not going to be protected by officials from sickening hits to the head like this, then it’s time to bring the real policemen back - and get the cheap shot merchants sorted out on the ice. How can one of our most experienced referees think that is a clean hit?