Panthers ship 10

moggy#9

Thread starter #21
I’d hate to see Fife go but it could be the reality of pro sports unfortunately, it’s not a charity and it seems there are better run teams in the league below, Milton Keynes getting 2900 people the other week(although they were a bit shit last time they were up with us)
Generally speaking I'd agree with you. The problem is that I don't see the league being viable with less than 10 teams. Until we have a queue of potential joiners, we have to protect what we have.

Ideally (IMO) we need 16 or more t teams in good locations, for the the league to be strong. If I were a massively rich hockey philanthropist I'd be looking to put arenas in places like Durham, Southampton, Brighton and Plymouth.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

With that plan you wouldn’t be massively rich for long. :(

Honestly l think the only incentive for club owners is recouping their costs and making a half decent return. Whilst the old ship with its leaking hull & dodgy diesel remains afloat, she‘ll continue sailing. I can’t see any long term financial investment ever coming into this league, maybe if it had reached a bigger audience at the start a franchise league may have been viable, now though, no, the numbers just aren’t there. As for teams injecting cash, doesn’t make great business sense, costs are rising for people in the U.K. the cost of living is and will continue to bite people, they won’t be spending on Ice Hockey. Hopefully the old girl carries on, the danger is that one day her Captain decides to leave her rot in the dock forever......

moggy#9

Thread starter #23
With that plan you wouldn’t be massively rich for long. :(

Honestly l think the only incentive for club owners is recouping their costs and making a half decent return. Whilst the old ship with its leaking hull & dodgy diesel remains afloat, she‘ll continue sailing. I can’t see any long term financial investment ever coming into this league, maybe if it had reached a bigger audience at the start a franchise league may have been viable, now though, no, the numbers just aren’t there. As for teams injecting cash, doesn’t make great business sense, costs are rising for people in the U.K. the cost of living is and will continue to bite people, they won’t be spending on Ice Hockey. Hopefully the old girl carries on, the danger is that one day her Captain decides to leave her rot in the dock forever......
Lol. Yeah, I think I'd need to be in the bill gates leagues of making money faster than I could spend it. I do think that all 4 of those places deserve rinks and could make it work though.

As far as the current league goes, I think the next few years are going to be very testing.

Mazzoak

Lol. Yeah, I think I'd need to be in the bill gates leagues of making money faster than I could spend it. I do think that all 4 of those places deserve rinks and could make it work though.

As far as the current league goes, I think the next few years are going to be very testing.
If only l could make money as easily as l can spend it.

I agree on those 4, although ice rinks as a business are a bit of an oddity in the U.K. l can see cinemas now going the same way. Technology & social interactions are changing people in a way that these entertainment venues are becoming very 1960’s & people will stop going.
The future will be virtual reality, one day in the not too distant future people will be watching sports, films etc as part of the action as they do with console gaming. The film industry are currently merging blockbuster movies with Gaming, so it’s also rumoured the sports industry could follow. Imagine ice hockey virtually, with the tech of the gaming industry it’s only a matter of time before sports “watching“ will place you as a fan onto the playing field or in the case of ice hockey, you could be viewing the goal as if you’re actually on the ice, maybe next to the net minder. Imaging watching a break away goal that you’ve actually seen as if you’re skating alongside the player. F1 have started a simulator league that “players” will compete virtually using the kind of simulators currently used by F1 teams. It’s believed these could use actual live race visuals for fans to actually drive in the actual race, imaging that you could be competing alongside Lewis Hamilton predecessor live.

pjj365

Generally speaking I'd agree with you. The problem is that I don't see the league being viable with less than 10 teams. Until we have a queue of potential joiners, we have to protect what we have.

Ideally (IMO) we need 16 or more t teams in good locations, for the the league to be strong. If I were a massively rich hockey philanthropist I'd be looking to put arenas in places like Durham, Southampton, Brighton and Plymouth.
There are at least 9 team which could join by upgrading facilities and teams rather than add 3 on the South Coast
Milton Keynes, Durham, Gosport, Bristol, Basingstoke, Hull, Swindon, Telford
I can contribute 10p to the fund raising - only a few £m to go!

moggy#9

Thread starter #26
There are at least 9 team which could join by upgrading facilities and teams rather than add 3 on the South Coast
Milton Keynes, Durham, Gosport, Bristol, Basingstoke, Hull, Swindon, Telford
I can contribute 10p to the fund raising - only a few £m to go!
Well, I picked those 4 as either having previously been hockey hotbeds or, in the case of Plymouth, a big catchment area. As for choosing the South coast, the affluence off those areas may help their success. As far as Bristol goes, yes it's could be a massive success, it's just a pity they didn't make the rink a bit bigger - though it was a massive upgrade over the old rink that I first skated in.

pjj365

Well, I picked those 4 as either having previously been hockey hotbeds or, in the case of Plymouth, a big catchment area. As for choosing the South coast, the affluence off those areas may help their success. As far as Bristol goes, yes it's could be a massive success, it's just a pity they didn't make the rink a bit bigger - though it was a massive upgrade over the old rink that I first skated in.
I get your point but my list has established recent or current fan bases
As for Bristol Jamie said on DevilsTV that provision has been made to expand over 20000 if needs be

moggy#9

Thread starter #32
Birmingham, Blackburn, Liverpool,Newcastle,Southampton.
Blackburn has a lovely rink, but they've consistently failed to draw significant crowds. I don't remember Newcastle drawing massive crowds even when the first entry to the Newcastle arena. Southampton was a nasty place to go - a horrible little rink and horrible fans, but there was no denying their passion.

moggy#9

Thread starter #35
Sadly yes. If anyone builds a rink there you’ve got a guaranteed fan base.
Yeah, I utterly hated the wasps, but there was no denying how passionate their fans were. The atmosphere in the Riverside rink was incredible. (Even if the coffin lid seats and the zamboni the couldn't get into the corners were a bit sad.)

kingmo19.1

Yeah, I utterly hated the wasps, but there was no denying how passionate their fans were. The atmosphere in the Riverside rink was incredible. (Even if the coffin lid seats and the zamboni the couldn't get into the corners were a bit sad.)
Amazing days - fun hockey, great atmospheres and loads of characters -
Much prefer that era than what we’ve got now (even though the standard is much higher).