Nottingham sign Chris Stewart

Gospel

Strachan arrived mid season last year, not having played for months, and he was up to speed immediately. Same for Schiestel - he’s turned into one of our top D men after just a few weeks, having not played since the end of last season. I hope it works out for the Panthers and I’m looking forward to seeing Stewart play - we don’t get the chance to see too many players with 652 NHL games under their belts over here that often.
Think you’ll find Strachan wasn't near speed when he arrived in mid October and took a couple of weeks to a month to fit in and the same applies for Drew, which you have already stated. We are now in January and for him to get back anywhere near his best will probably take a month as well. The season is virtually over by then. Its a big big risk & no doubt cost for the Panties.

His past pedigree speaks for itself and its good for the EIHL as a whole that players like him are looking here & im looking forward to seeing him play as well.

kettdevil1

Wow!!!!!! I haven’t said we need Stewart I’m not saying we are Man City of ice hockey,

All I have said is there’s players out there who we could sign it’s a proven fact.

So don’t like it when people on here say there’s no one available when there clearly is.
Of course there are players available..... hell, I would suit up if Lordo asked ;)..... but it is about the right player and I suppose sometimes the frustration is that the call is for a signing, any signing (not necessarily aimed at you that bit HM but there have been plenty of posts in this vein.)

I have no idea whether Stewart will take the league by storm, when I saw him play for Calgary he was off the pace, unfit, disinterested and looked a shot bolt but.... at a lower level, IF he decides he wants to, he has the potential to be a superstar. What I would say is that the players we have signed in-season have arrived with far less fanfare (indeed in the case of Mosey, some active hostility) yet, have had a massive impact on our season. Hence, my point is, it is about signing the right player.... I guess Stewart might be the right player for Nottingham but, I still think that for us, any signing should be a Strachan type D Man, hence, not Stewart!

august04

Think you’ll find Strachan wasn't near speed when he arrived in mid October and took a couple of weeks to a month to fit in and the same applies for Drew, which you have already stated. We are now in January and for him to get back anywhere near his best will probably take a month as well. The season is virtually over by then. Its a big big risk & no doubt cost for the Panties.

His past pedigree speaks for itself and its good for the EIHL as a whole that players like him are looking here & im looking forward to seeing him play as well.
I recall Strachan making a huge difference to our defensive stability straight away and yes, he got even better after that too! If we win all our games in hand on the Panthers, we’d be 13 points clear. I’m certainly not saying they’re out of contention for the league title as they could go on an unbeaten run with the talent that they have in that line up, but there’s an argument that their league aspirations could be toast already - but they have a Challenge Cup and Play-Offs to go for, so if he’s anywhere near fit, he could make an impact certainly for those competitions.

Diablo3

I think the Panthers will have to make sure he settles in then give him some time to get up to speed. He has been unsettled this year going on his transfers / games played. But if it works out, fair play to them.

We are playing well enough that I can't see any new signings unless the player is on Tod's/ Lordo's hit list or is just too good to miss.

jimmy snels

i totally get the frustration with this "right player" and "no quality in the market". a guy like this is an unbelievable signing for the panthers and the league.
If we arent looking to replace faryna id rather it was just said than those excuses now to be honest. say we are happy with what we've got, have the squad to win league and be done with it. its a false hope now imho to think we'll sign someone new of any real level.

Hope im wrong mind!

Mazzoak

Comments like this annoy me as a Devils fan. Players like Stewart aren’t just out there begging to join the mighty Cardiff Devils. Every coach has different contacts, we likely didn’t even have Stewart anywhere near our radar, just like Nottingham didn’t have Linglet anywhere near there. His brother played for the Panthers before so maybe that’s who made it happen,

Don’t you mean his agent......

Devil_Abroad

My guess is we’d be looking for a guy good enough to slot on a top line for a few games to cover injuries but willing to mostly play 3rd and 4th line; otherwise who from the top 2 lines moves down? Also needs to be a good fit in the dressing room i.e. no baggage or issues. Also has to fit our budget constraints.

We’ve probably been looking and possibly talking to a few but having passed Christmas with only 3 months left of the season the bus has probably passed us by now. Just hope any future injuries aren’t serious ones and that the niggles already with players remain so or disappear. Hope Haddad’s is short term.

Huge games coming up in the next few weeks so we will also need some luck too.

#3peat.

jimmy snels

pope would be my choice to drop down lines. not sure he's currently playing at a level every shift deserving of top line minutes. haddad had a period of this but came out of it on fire. hopefully pope will do same

voth26

Wow!!!!!! I haven’t said we need Stewart I’m not saying we are Man City of ice hockey,

All I have said is there’s players out there who we could sign it’s a proven fact.

So don’t like it when people on here say there’s no one available when there clearly is.
No one has said there's no players available, the club have said their looking for the RIGHT player to come in and add to the team. Panthers have signed and released a few different players since the season started so clearly it's important to sign the right player and not just anyone to keep fans happy

Gazr76

This scenario is a bit unique. His brother played previously for Nottingham and did the Panthers a huge favour by organising this. I am not so sure he would have even considered any team in the UK without his brothers influence.

Mooney#16

This feels like Panthers last roll of the dice. That roster is pretty stacked now on paper but can Chernomaz put them onto a streak from here, Out of interest who do they play more from here, Devils or Giants as if they don’t have enough head to head fixtures left it might still be to late.

kettdevil1

This feels like Panthers last roll of the dice. That roster is pretty stacked now on paper but can Chernomaz put them onto a streak from here, Out of interest who do they play more from here, Devils or Giants as if they don’t have enough head to head fixtures left it might still be to late.
They play both ourselves and Belfast twice more

terry hunt

Take a look at the league he is playing in and his team.
His team is loaded with well known ex EIHL players does that mean he would be good for us?

Mooney#16

They play both ourselves and Belfast twice more
It’ll be a tough ask for them but if they can claw 4 points back on both on their own terms it really is a race of consistency for all three teams. If Nottingham can win it with the odds as they currently are they are welcome to it.

Given there is only two fixtures head to head this isn’t a signing to fear in reality. It’s essentially the Devils against themselves again for three months. Playing consistently to their potential and winning the head to head series with Belfast are the keys not necessarily a big signing. The huge question mark though is injuries. I do think we could do with a spare to alleviate that concern.