NOTTINGHAM SATURDAY

BostonBart22

Thread starter #141
Hope someone from the Club is reading these posts...... and having a good think about how to nullify the mask problem. It really does need to be tightened up. The Club has worked tirelessly to get the Arena open and hockey in Cardiff again. Let's not blow it all now by allowing idiots to get away with it... or it could mean a fine, temporary closure or some sort of penaltyfor our Club and the season is just about to start. They don't need that financially or in the media.
I firmly believe if the Devils shut down because of these morons, the future would be bleak, no way could the owners bail us out another season.

Ocko

Unpopular opinion but I think the club have done well to get the message out. I don’t think we will get shut down. I completely abide by mask wearing in the rink because it’s not a hardship and the club have asked.

But if it’s a loophole in the rules that if you have a drink you don’t have to have it on then the rules aren’t being broken. I also think on the whole most people are wearing them and I’ve seen security picking up the odd few people who aren’t. It’ll never be 100% because people just don’t listen - but that’s life.

If the Welsh assembly are shutting places down then there will be much greater concerns than IAW. I was in town on Friday night and it’s completely back to normal, not a mask in sight, shoulder to shoulder queuing at bars, drinking and dancing together. The thousands steaming in the bars of St Mary Street will be the first target rather than IAW with a few people sneaking their mask off to have a pint. There are also many types of places where you don’t have to wear a mask, those will be scaled back before any concern at the rink. Hospitalisations are still low, despite us being technically in the middle of a third wave.

august04 2.0

Unpopular opinion but I think the club have done well to get the message out. I don’t think we will get shut down. I completely abide by mask wearing in the rink because it’s not a hardship and the club have asked.

But if it’s a loophole in the rules that if you have a drink you don’t have to have it on then the rules aren’t being broken. I also think on the whole most people are wearing them and I’ve seen security picking up the odd few people who aren’t. It’ll never be 100% because people just don’t listen - but that’s life.

If the Welsh assembly are shutting places down then there will be much greater concerns than IAW. I was in town on Friday night and it’s completely back to normal, not a mask in sight, shoulder to shoulder queuing at bars, drinking and dancing together. The thousands steaming in the bars of St Mary Street will be the first target rather than IAW with a few people sneaking their mask off to have a pint. There are also many types of places where you don’t have to wear a mask, those will be scaled back before any concern at the rink. Hospitalisations are still low, despite us being technically in the middle of a third wave.
I hope you’re right but the hordes in town bring far more to the fragile Welsh economy than little old IAW and the Devils. We're an easy target given the fuss that was created when it remained shut down for so long, which is why I think we need to be very careful. Time will tell I suppose.

Wannabe2

We ain’t talking about the bar, we all know the rules there. But when you move into the Arena rules change it’s about looking after your neighbors what’s the problem.

Ocko

Bars etc are hospitality where masks are not required
Also can we stop talking about rules - it's the law
Which is entirely my point. The Welsh government will be more concerned with scaling those back before worrying about the odd transgressions in IAW where the vast majority are abiding by the rules. Hospitalisations are still low, it would be pretty random for the government to turn a blind eye to all the nightclubs etc and shut down IAW because of a couple of law breakers (not rule breakers because you wanted to be pedantic ;)).

august04 2.0

We ain’t talking about the bar, we all know the rules there. But when you move into the Arena rules change it’s about looking after your neighbors what’s the problem.
Totally agree. Let people eat and drink to their hearts content in the bar and cafe areas - we know that masks are not required in hospitality areas, so people can choose whether to take the risk by going in those areas. But in the main arena, you wear a mask at all times and if you don’t, you’re out. That’s far easier to police than the current situation which is pretty much impossible. I remember the days when going to the hockey meant concentrating on watching the game and having a pint in the period breaks in the WNIR bar. Is that not an option in the short term while we get through all this?

Ocko

And I’m not disagreeing. I don’t drink at the rink so have my mask on 100% of the time. It’s no problem to me. I just think on the whole it’s nowhere near as bad as people make out. There is only so much the club can do, it’s like people want floggings in the period breaks for anyone caught without one.