Nottingham Ice Hockey Supporters Trust

Thread starter #1
Hi,

As you in Cardiff now have a fans council, I thought you might like to know how we're faring in trying to establish something similar in Nottingham in the form of a Supporters Trust.

I shall try to be brief …

Whilst we were setting up the trust we received a letter from the club’s solicitor instructing us to cease using the name “Nottingham Panthers Supporters Trust”, to close our website and to use no colours or other means to associate ourselves with the club. We were also offered a meeting in Leicester, 30 miles from Nottingham. As the letter also contained allegations of misrepresentation we were advised by Supporters Direct and our legal advisor not to attend until these allegations were explored. Despite approaches by the Trust and Supporters Direct we could get no response from the solicitors or club. Supporters Direct said that it was the first time they'd heard of a club threatening their supporters!

We then completely rebranded the trust. New name, new colours, new website, new email address.

On 3rd October the club chairman, Neil Black, held a question and answer session at a local pub. The trust had emailed him to say they wouldn’t be raising any trust related questions at the session as they did not think it was the appropriate forum.

An ordinary fan (not related to the trust) asked him why he had threatened the trust. He replied that the trust had NOT been threatened, and that they had been offered a meeting in Nottingham.

At this point the trust’s interim chair, Rob Scott, felt compelled to put the record straight and said that those statements were not true and perhaps Mr Black wasn’t actually aware of the contents of the letter. He offered to show Mr Black the letter, copies of which he had on his phone.

A heated discussion took place, but at no time was Rob abusive, or used inappropriate language.

Several days later he learned that he had been banned from all home games this season.

Rob is desperately searching for a copy of the recording a fan made of the Q&A session to prove that the ban is completely unjustified. Hardly the actions he would take if he were guilty. Other people at the Q&A also confirm that Rob was not abusive.

It seems that the reason for his ban is disagreeing with the club chairman.

Rob is a loyal hockey supporter who recently travelled to Switzerland to support his team. He has also just started to take his young son to home matches.

Via the Panthers Cage forum, I have appealed to Panther’s fans to email the Panthers organisation at info@panthers.co.uk to lift the ban. Just a simple “Lift the Ban” in the subject line.

I think that there has for years been a (sometimes grudging!) respect between our teams. As hockey, as well as Devils supporters, would you also consider sending an email to re-instate a true hockey supporter who has been unfairly treated.

Thanks for reading this long-winded post. I hope you can spare a few seconds to help Rob.

JC23

Hi,

As you in Cardiff now have a fans council, I thought you might like to know how we're faring in trying to establish something similar in Nottingham in the form of a Supporters Trust.

Whilst we were setting up the trust we received a letter from the club’s solicitor instructing us to cease using the name “Nottingham Panthers Supporters Trust”, to close our website and to use no colours or other means to associate ourselves with the club. We were also offered a meeting in Leicester, 30 miles from Nottingham. As the letter also contained allegations of misrepresentation we were advised by Supporters Direct and our legal advisor not to attend until these allegations were explored. Despite approaches by the Trust and Supporters Direct we could get no response from the solicitors or club. Supporters Direct said that it was the first time they'd heard of a club threatening their supporters!

We then completely rebranded the trust. New name, new colours, new website, new email address.

On 3rd October the club chairman, Neil Black, held a question and answer session at a local pub. The trust had emailed him to say they wouldn’t be raising any trust related questions at the session as they did not think it was the appropriate forum.

An ordinary fan (not related to the trust) asked him why he had threatened the trust. He replied that the trust had NOT been threatened, and that they had been offered a meeting in Nottingham.

At this point the trust’s interim chair, Rob Scott, felt compelled to put the record straight and said that those statements were not true and perhaps Mr Black wasn’t actually aware of the contents of the letter. He offered to show Mr Black the letter, copies of which he had on his phone.

A heated discussion took place, but at no time was Rob abusive, or used inappropriate language.

Several days later he learned that he had been banned from all home games this season.

Rob is desperately searching for a copy of the recording a fan made of the Q&A session to prove that the ban is completely unjustified. Hardly the actions he would take if he were guilty. Other people at the Q&A also confirm that Rob was not abusive.

Rob is a loyal hockey supporter who recently travelled to Switzerland to support his team. He has also just started to take his young son to home matches.

Via the Panthers Cage forum, I have appealed to Panther’s fans to email the Panthers organisation at info@panthers.co.uk to lift the ban. Just a simple “Lift the Ban” in the subject line.

I think that there has for years been a (sometimes grudging!) respect between our teams. As hockey, as well as Devils supporters, would you also consider sending an email to re-instate a true hockey supporter who has been unfairly treated.

Thanks for reading this long-winded post. I hope you can spare a few seconds to help Rob.
Disgusting behaviour by your club, sorry to see it happening.

Will be sending an email for sure.

Hi,

It’s certainly a PR nightmare. Was Black informed prior to starting up the Trust ?
The Devils fan council was put forward and as l understand set up by the club. Whilst l agree it’s important for fans to have a voice, it’s just as important for the ownership to protect its business. It’s fundamentally important for both parties to work closely together and respect each other’s interests and opinions. A lot of these situations arise by simply misunderstanding a parties ego and simply failing to adequately stroke that ego. Which then results in the kind of stupidity that has occurred. The trust will need to come up with some financial plan that demonstrates taking the club and supporters trust forward, l fear fan pressure will be fruitless, people such as Black live for money and respect and I’m afraid it’s a one way street, you give him money, you give him respect, if you want it replicated I’m afraid that can usually only be achievable by being far more devious & cleverer than Black.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been fortunate enough to get to know Rob and his wife really well over the last few years and they are both fantastic people. Their hospitality towards Devils fans whilst in Nottingham such as offering accommodation, organising tickets, booking meals, giving lifts and a host of other things is truly appreciated by those that know them.
Having to read comments on the cage forum attacking Robs character by clowns who don't know him are upsetting.
The issue here is not wether you agree with the Trust or not.
The issue is that Rob quite rightly called out Neil Black (in front of a packed room) on lies that he was telling regarding the trust.
Rob was then subsequently banned from attending Panthers games because of another lie by Neil Black.
I emailed the Panthers and the NIC earlier in the week and told them my thoughts on the matter, I've not yet received a reply and am guessing I never will.
I'm really hoping common sense prevails and Rob gets the ban lifted regardless of what happens with the trust.