Nottingham:Hull Challenge Cup Game

Thread starter #1
Can someone explain something to me?

Nottingham played Hull last Saturday in a game which doubled up as a league fixture and a Challenge Cup Group B game. Now the game was 2-2 at the end of regulation and so went onto overtime, with Nottingham eventually winning 3-2.

I know you have to have a winner for a league game, so for the purposes of the league game Hull would get one point and Nottingham two. But these early rounds of the Challenge Cup can finish as draws, so why hasn't this been done. In recent seasons, any joint cup/league fixtures used the final score after regulation for the cup game result, and took into account the overtime/penalty shootout only for the league game.

Am I being dense or has it changed this year?

I am of course basing this on the Elite League Challenge Cup Group B table which shows Hull with 3 losses in regulation and 0 points, so either way it is wrong. Hull should have at least one point, either through a draw or a loss in overtime. I was just surprised to see Nottingham 2 points ahead of us when I thought they should only be 1. Maybe they haven't updated it.

Finny

The CC result was taken as the final score at 60 minutes i.e. a draw.
Overtime was then played so that the result of the league game could be found.

I hate it when this happens though. If Nottingham can't play enough games for both competitions then they shouldn't enter them.

James

Administrator
Someone should tell the league that then. Rock Chick is right, the Elite League website has Nottingham down for 3 wins and Hull with none, rather than Nottingham with 2 and both with a draw.

Finny

That's because the stats engine behind the EIHL is not very good, and can't handle the fact that the game counts for two different competitions.

Apparently they are in the process of changing the company who run the website - perhaps they will do a better job at it.

Finny

The actual group table is:

P W L D GF GA PTS GD
Nottm 4 3 0 1 14 9 7 5
Cardiff 3 2 1 0 13 9 4 4
Coventry 3 1 2 0 11 13 2 -2
Hull 4 0 3 1 8 15 1 -7

(Not too sure how that is going to come out in the formatting. )

On a slightly different note, the Devils official website is in the process of being adjusted so that it does show the whole league table and challenge cup group table.

slightly off topic but as you seem to know whats going on with the official website finny you got any ideas when there is going to start being some actual footage on the devils tv?

august04

Finny said:
On a slightly different note, the Devils official website is in the process of being adjusted so that it does show the whole league table and challenge cup group table.
While they're at it, I hope they can find a way to include stats for all players (e.g. G, A, PTS, PIMS). At the moment it only shows the top two in each category, which is of no use to anyone really.

I read somewhere that Nottingham have doubled up on only 2 of their home games. V us and Hull, but are not risking it against Coventry. I really really hope we beat them up there now.

How can a team pick and choose what games they double up on?

Finny

august04 said:
Finny said:
While they're at it, I hope they can find a way to include stats for all players (e.g. G, A, PTS, PIMS). At the moment it only shows the top two in each category, which is of no use to anyone really.
This will be dealt with asap. I had a chat with Shannon and Paul yesterday and the website is being updated with everyone's stats (by me)- it's just not being displayed. It was just one of those things that was overlooked when the new site was setup. They were having a meeting today I believe with the website guys and the stats along with the league table were two of the main priorities.

Finny

nmase20 said:
slightly off topic but as you seem to know whats going on with the official website finny you got any ideas when there is going to start being some actual footage on the devils tv?
I believe there have been unforseen problems that are beyond their control at the moment, which means the games aren't being uploaded as soon as they were planning too.
The 'arty' highlights of the Sheffield game are now up on there - and IMO they are awesome. Unfortunately it looks like we will be having these long delays for quite a while - just one of those things that can't be helped.

It's not just Devils TV though that will be continually improved over the season. The whole website will be getting tweaks constantly throughout the season. I managed to get a sneak peek at the 'final' design - and when it gets to that stage it will look fantastic.
However, I don't think the website will ever be 'finished'. They have lots of idea's that they want to add - and it's going to be a case of deciding what gets done first. And by the time they have finished one thing, they will have come up with another two things they want added.

I don't know whether it was there before and I never noticed it, but I only looked at the photo gallery last night - some of the photos from the Belfast game are brilliant.

As I mentioned on the previous post - the stats and league table are the first priority, but we also came up with a couple of ideas about extra things to add to the site regarding stats which hopefully people will find useful and interesting. But once again they will be added to the long list of improvements to be worked on.

Koop11

Not being a tech head when it comes to computers but will the issue of the speed of the Devils website been addressed soon? Devils TV seems to work well on my computer and looks superb but the Devils main site appears very slow loading up whatever computer I use.

James

Administrator
The very slow speed of the site has been mentioned to the club and they are working to rectify it, yes. Devils TV is hosted externally to the main Devils site, hence the speed difference.

Finny

I think that was something they were speaking about in their meeting yesterday. Although I've never found it slow on any machine i've used ???? :?