NHL thread ***SPOILER ALERT***MATCH RESULTS INSIDE***

kettdevil1

Fair enough, although looking at the season as a whole, Brodeur is currently at 0.886 on save percentages and Hedburg is also below 90%. 5 wins for Brodeur all season is also a concern.

Mind you looking at Kovy's stats the one that sticks out is the fact that he is -26 on the season :eek:

Zajac as a comparison is -8.

Could be interesting in the dressing room if the coach decides to introduce him to the concept of defending....

TheStub

Re: Re: NHL thread ***SPOILER ALERT***MATCH RESULTS INSIDE***

kettdevil1 said:
Fair enough, although looking at the season as a whole, Brodeur is currently at 0.886 on save percentages and Hedburg is also below 90%. 5 wins for Brodeur all season is also a concern.

Mind you looking at Kovy's stats the one that sticks out is the fact that he is -26 on the season :eek:

Zajac as a comparison is -8.

Could be interesting in the dressing room if the coach decides to introduce him to the concept of defending....
I think he may start with getting that concept through to the defense. I wouldn't read too much into Marty or Moose's stats, rather the team +/-. Any netminder hung out to dry that often will have poor stats, even when standing on their head.

Hopefully last night was the start of the change, and we can get the red bus rolling. Getting shot of Rolsten is a good start, he has never sat well in this NJ side. Our Captain needs to either find some leadership or ship out.

Mind you, rumors abound that Rolly will become an Isle and Langunbruner will be a leaf before the weekend. If we get a decent trade we will make cap space and shore up our lineup as guys get fit again.

kettdevil1

TheStub said:
Ah... there goes my weekend. Rolston cleared re-entry waivers. No-one even wanted him at half price.
:? How the mighty have fallen. Saw him a few years ago and he looked a decent player (although not as good as his current salary frankly), perhaps the new regime will get the best out of him - like a few other Devils, he appeared to have been coasting for a while and a kick up the backside might well be exactly what is needed.

Looking through the Devils roster what strikes me is the fact that there are a lot of decent players on it, (certainly compared to the Flames sadly...) the problem appears to be underperformance rather than a lack of talent. Given that we know that the new coach knows what he is doing, that indicates that there is a fair chance that things will improve in the near future.

You are still stuck with Kovy for some time though :lol:

TheStub

kettdevil1 said:
:? How the mighty have fallen. Saw him a few years ago and he looked a decent player (although not as good as his current salary frankly), perhaps the new regime will get the best out of him - like a few other Devils, he appeared to have been coasting for a while and a kick up the backside might well be exactly what is needed.
He was decent for Lemaire when at the Wild, but never really did anything with the Devils. Tried him on every line, at wing and centre and he still never performed. Signed to be a 30+ goal centre, and he never got close - and now complains that he prefers to play the wing :shock: I think he was at the end of his career with the Wild... Devils just paid a lot to get a 35 year old vet fall to retirement.
kettdevil1 said:
Looking through the Devils roster what strikes me is the fact that there are a lot of decent players on it, (certainly compared to the Flames sadly...) the problem appears to be underperformance rather than a lack of talent. Given that we know that the new coach knows what he is doing, that indicates that there is a fair chance that things will improve in the near future.
The roster is just stacked with talent, but it hasn't performed for a few seasons now. The injuries this year haven't helped - along with a new system and a rookie coach. Lemaire should kick them into shape, after all he coached most of them last season. I just hope that we can start winning. The season is lost, but if we can get some momentum it will be a platform for next year. Plus we now have the chance to develop some of our prospects. Tedenby has been our player of the season so far - young and hungry, he looks good even when the rest of the team aren't skating. Get the AHL prospect through and experienced, cut a load of vets (JL, Arrnott and maybe even Clarkson) and have a young, hungry team to win us the cup next year.
kettdevil1 said:
You are still stuck with Kovy for some time though :lol:
He is the white elephant, but he is far from our problem this year. His cap hit may be, once we get people back from LIR we will be right against the cap, unless we can make a $5mil Rolston shaped hole in the cap. We could build the team around him, but he needs to buy into the system, play defence and will struggle to get to 50 goals again :lol:

For me, Parise is the better player. We need him signed up long term NOW, along with Zajac, and probably Tedenby and Jacobson. Those guys are the future of the franchise.

TheStub

Just treated myself to NHL Center Ice for the rest of the month... so I know what I'll be doing come midnight... watch NJ beat Atlanta.

Well... watching NJ, the beating part is highly improbably IMHO ;)

kettdevil1

TheStub said:
Just treated myself to NHL Center Ice for the rest of the month... so I know what I'll be doing come midnight... watch NJ beat Atlanta.

Well... watching NJ, the beating part is highly improbably IMHO ;)
Miracles on Ice do happen apparently ;)

Good win against a decent(ish) team, although not the greatest of games. Canada v Sweden in U20s was a rather more exciting New Years Eve watch!

TheStub

For the first time in a while, there is a positive feeling around the Devils. Back to back wins, coming off good (but loosing) performances. Overall, we are looking a bit better.

But, if you are only going to give Mair 2:44 of ice time, then why bother - get Tedenby on the bench!! He is the future...or part of it.

kettdevil1

You've got to love the Bruins at the moment, not only are they winning games but they are winning the brawls as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLPHb6issFk

Only a couple of weeks after their infamous game against the Stars they get involved in another one against the Habs. Not only do they win 8-6 but the game features several mass brawls and a goalie slapping match.

Great fun.

TheStub

Can I just say... WOOOHHHHOOOOOO!!!

What a difference a coach makes! Not counting my chickens, but the playoffs no longer look to be out of our grasp. It'll be close though - but if we come crashing in, then I think we can really go deep... after all, we will have been playing play off hockey for 4 months!

All we need now is Parise back!

kettdevil1

OK, this might be tempting fate but.... posted on Saturday 25th September by me......

Two games down, two more to go, just call me Nostradamus.... :lol:

Yes, it is always like that at the start, no doubt it will build as the season progresses.

Hopefully the pot will go north of the border this year, it has been on loan to the south for too long.

I would love the Flames to prove me wrong and go all the way but realistically the best hope has got to be Vancouver although les Habs have got to win it again some day.... not sure if local businesses insurance can take the celebrating though.

Away from the frozen land, Philly have a chance but are still short on quality, the Pens will be as good as ever to watch, the Sharks will be brilliant till April, Chicago will be so-so, St Louis will surprise and I wonder if this will be the year when Washington finally realise that OV can't win the cup on his own?

Summing up.... Canucks to win

TheStub

They have an offense who somehow forgot how to score and a netminder who was about half as good as Mr Smiles Thomas the other end.

I'm amazed Bruins did it - but what a great series (if flat game 7 - Canucks rolled over and got spanked)

kettdevil1

Merthyr Devil said:
kettdevil1 said:
OK, this might be tempting fate but.... posted on Saturday 25th September by me......

Summing up.... Canucks to win[/i]
:D

I'd say the Canucks fans have you to blame really! :lol:

Good predictions though to be fair!
I plead guilty and have been in hiding since....

Superb group of games (bar Game 7) and the Bruins were worthy winners. They play on the edge but when it works, they were unstoppable. Tim Thomas was a worthy MVP and as has been mentioned, key players failed to perform. Basically the 'Nucks cracked

Skippy

It was a good series apart from Game 7 :(

A lot of things went wrong for the Canucks in the playoffs the injuries and the players playing injured list was a major factor

-“Dan Hamhuis suffered a serious abdominal injury.”
-“Alex Edler has two broken fingers from a slash.”
-“Kevin Bieksa has a bruised MCL from a slash.”
-“Ryan Kesler has a hip problem that we don’t know the extent of yet.”
-"Mikael Samuelsson, as you know, had an operation on an abdominal muscle tear.”
-“Manny was a warrior out there, but he was operating at less than 100 per cent, he hadn’t skated in I think six to seven weeks after his injury because of the treatment he had to have.”
-“Chris Higgins had a foot injury that continued to get worse throughout the playoffs.”
-“Christian Ehrhoff had a shoulder injury that didn’t recover from the third round onward. We don’t think he’ll need a procedure, but he’ll need some fairly serious rest and rehab.”
-“Henrik had a back injury from getting cross-checked in the second round.”

I think that Vancouver used the wrong tactics and tried to match the Bruins in physicality, it wasn’t a fight they were going to win. The Sedin’s don’t play that game well and as soon as the Canucks take a penalty that’s their strongest offensive threat off the ice for two minutes as the Sedin’s don’t play on the penalty kill at all.

Some of the penalties called were odd as well, Daniel Sedin gets punched six times after the whistle makes no attempt to retaliate and gets 10 mins ?? he must of said something to the ref but still an odd call.

It also felt like Vancouver decided that they ‘d won at the end of game two they went into game 3 expecting win the cup.

A

Anonymous

I haven't read all the pages on this but I don't think the rioting has been mentioned after the Canucks lost game 7, 4 - 0.
I couldn't believe my eyes when I heard about it and afterwards seeing it. Lets hope and prey our sport doesn't end up like football.

Heres a good link to what went on, on the streets of Vancouver;

www.krowm.com/sports/general/riots-in-v ... e-streets/