Newbie Questions

Thread starter #1
Hi – myself and a few mates from Cardiff Uni have stumbled across the Cardiff Devils and the sport of Ice Hockey and love it. We went to a few games last season and are back for more…I even have my own shirt now!

Just wanted to ask a few newbie questions and would appreciate an insight into the Devils past and present setup:

-What’s with the numbers hanging from the roof, above the dj stand/away goals?
-When will the permanent rink be built and will it be on or near the existing rink
-What is the capacity of the existing rink
-Who is bob Phillips that I’ve read up on, and also Brian Candy (google says former owner but why such a cloud?)
-How are the refs allocated to each game as some seem better than others!
-What are flex tickets I’ve heard mentioned for discount tickets and how can I buy one
-Are the devils fully professional or do they have part time jobs also?
-Great debate with my mates, how much on average are the players paid…are they like £50k+ with fully paid houses/cars…I have no idea and was just curious

Appreciate clarity on the above! Jason

steve

if anyone fancies answering the bob philips question...carefull please! ;)

all the banners are for past victories and players whose jerseys have been 'retired' - i.e. no future devils players will wear that number as a mark of respect to the devils 'legend'.

err capacity is 2000 with a potential to expand to 2500 (but only when we can justify we need it).

i'm sure Koop11 can tell us about the rink developments - my understanding is that the current preferred option is to make the current location permament in the next 2 years. There is talk of a 9,000 capacity arena being constructed (to replace the CIA) in which the devils could play also.

The refs tend to be picked by how far they have to travel to save money, so we tend to get the same guys quite often. And yes there are major variations between them!

Flex tickets will save you a couple of quid per game and come direct from the club - so planet ice (boo!) don't get to charge their 'admin' or 'fulfilment' charge lol.

All the guys are pro's, Finny was the only player last year to work full time and play.

Most clubs spend around £9k per week on players pay. Who gets what within that is up to the club. I doubt any player is on £50k - the players who are on uni deals tend to do quite well as their fees are covered. I guess players are on about £800-900 per week in some cases.

If your students and like to make noise, block 2 is the place to be!

TheStub

devils_jas said:
Hi – myself and a few mates from Cardiff Uni have stumbled across the Cardiff Devils and the sport of Ice Hockey and love it. We went to a few games last season and are back for more…I even have my own shirt now!

Just wanted to ask a few newbie questions and would appreciate an insight into the Devils past and present setup:

Those are retired jerseys - for players who have contributed a lot to the club.

For all past Devils players, see http://www.cardiffdevils.com/teamc.aspx ... vils%20A-Z
-When will the permanent rink be built and will it be on or near the existing rink
Your guess is as good as ours - but we are hoping that there will someone new operating the rink come December, and that significant improvements can be made to the current rink before next season.
2000 ish I believe. Not sure what the fire certificate will say - and there are a few who stand.
-Who is bob Phillips that I’ve read up on, and also Brian Candy (google says former owner but why such a cloud?)
Long, long rants there.
-How are the refs allocated to each game as some seem better than others!
We've all noticed that, and we would all like to know :lol: Usually it is by distance to the rinks, but they circulate them to 'spread the love'.
-What are flex tickets I’ve heard mentioned for discount tickets and how can I buy one
Flex tickets let you buy a number of tickets in advance at a reduced rate. Actually, more like tokens. You can then cash them in for actual game night tickets.

http://www.cardiffdevils.com/ticketsc.a ... lex%20Pack

-Are the devils fully professional or do they have part time jobs also?
I think the younger Brits have part time jobs (I'm certain Ben Davies does), but for the most part they are fully professional. Although, some of the imports are on play & study deals with the Business School.
-Great debate with my mates, how much on average are the players paid…are they like £50k+ with fully paid houses/cars…I have no idea and was just curious
Lower :lol: £1000 a week would be considered a LOT for a British import player, and although we don't publish the salary there is a wage cap of about £6000 a week for the whole team. Lots of them get houses and cars (sponsored) thrown in to make up the deal.

Many imports seem to view the UK either as a working holiday (chance to travel before they retire) or a route into bigger money in the European leagues.

As I say, I don't know what we are paying any player, but an average of about £250+ feels about right for some reason.

Appreciate clarity on the above! Jason
Anytime - now waiting to get proved wrong by everyone else :lol:

** Steve beat me to it - but I typed it all now :lol:

drainage

devils_jas said:

-Who is bob Phillips that I’ve read up on, and also Brian Candy (google says former owner but why such a cloud?)-
We hope a mythical creature who will not darken our doors again - if he does we will all de camp to the Red Dragon Centre pile into the Tardis and be light years away before he has called Dave Simms to report he's infiltrated the camp and is trying to steal Brad!!!

Or to put it bluntly - he's not liked here !

drainage

devils_jas said:
Oh and welcome one and all - heres to a good season that will hook you to our beloved sport!!

i've got student flex tickets and you dont get any discount at all, you dont pay the "walk up" price of £10 but i dont really understand what that is because no one pays £10.
So its just a token basically, everyone else has answered the questions so i wont say anything else, i doubt anyone will go into the history of bob phillips and i dont know the full extent of it so i wont comment any further.
Welcome to the joys of the cardiff devils :D :twisted:

James

Administrator
Bob Phillips used to own the club, then he didn't and then he did. Then he didn't but his wife did and he owned Sheffield Steelers. Then she didn't but it turned out he did and now he doesn't. He still owns Field Electrical Steelers though. Hope thats clear :mrgreen:

If there was a hollywood movie to be made about the Devils, Bob Phillips is the evil mastermind character. Stroking his cat David Simms from his lair known as Sheffield.

steve

i love that! James - any chance of a Bob and Simms Dr Evils/Mini-me picture! Thats the kind of thing photoshop was designed for!

James

Administrator
steve said:
i love that! James - any chance of a Bob and Simms Dr Evils/Mini-me picture! Thats the kind of thing photoshop was designed for!
I'm sure that sort of thing isn't allowed. Remember when he was implicated in our knee injury crisis last year ?

steve

haha Finny you should have let that one slide - a bunch of new devils fans would have thought our very own moderator finny was a former player!

Finny said:
steve said:
All the guys are pro's, Finny was the only player last year to work full time and play.
I don't remember that??????
Damn it I need to lay of the beer...........
Finny, does this mean I have to start collecting your game worn jerseys too? :shock:

I'm already collecting shirts of one member of the family as it is ;)

Finny

Devildrums said:
Finny said:
steve said:
I don't remember that??????
Damn it I need to lay of the beer...........
Finny, does this mean I have to start collecting your game worn jerseys too? :shock:

I'm already collecting shirts of one member of the family as it is ;)
Yes you do.
Seeing as they are very exclusive I shall start the bidding at £1,000,000!!!

DevilDan said:
If there was a hollywood movie to be made about the Devils, Bob Phillips is the evil mastermind character. Stroking his cat David Simms from his lair known as Sheffield.

yeah evil mastermind nice one mate