Newbie Devils questions

Thread starter #1
Hi guys and gals,

I'm a massive hockey fan living in Llanelli and have a few queries I'd like to address on the devils in general if that's ok. I'll be honest and say that whilst I'm a huge Montreal Canadiens fan, in the last ten years I haven't really been interested in my 'local' team in Wales. This is mainly due to negative press on other forums berating the quality of British ice hockey. Another factor is that none of my mates are interested in the sport. Ironically it's the devils that got me into hockey as my comprehensive school used to run trips to watch the team about 12 years ago, used to love going to watch Brent Pope, Doug McEwen et al. Just got back from a holiday in Montreal last week (oh boy, playoff fever over there) which has unexpectedly got my girlfriend hooked on the game. So we are both going to go to the opening game of the new season to see what it's like watching an Elite league game in Cardiff nowadays. I know you guys will be understandably biased as fans, but was just wondering what kind of atmosphere and standard of play to expect. I'm not expecting NHL style obviously, but would be more than happy if it were good, entertaining fare. Just read that the average attendance is 1500 people, that's quite impressive. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Wannabe2

Gohabsgo said:
Hi guys and gals,

I'm a massive hockey fan living in Llanelli and have a few queries I'd like to address on the devils in general if that's ok. I'll be honest and say that whilst I'm a huge Montreal Canadiens fan, in the last ten years I haven't really been interested in my 'local' team in Wales. This is mainly due to negative press on other forums berating the quality of British ice hockey. Another factor is that none of my mates are interested in the sport. Ironically it's the devils that got me into hockey as my comprehensive school used to run trips to watch the team about 12 years ago, used to love going to watch Brent Pope, Doug McEwen et al. Just got back from a holiday in Montreal last week (oh boy, playoff fever over there) which has unexpectedly got my girlfriend hooked on the game. So we are both going to go to the opening game of the new season to see what it's like watching an Elite league game in Cardiff nowadays. I know you guys will be understandably biased as fans, but was just wondering what kind of atmosphere and standard of play to expect. I'm not expecting NHL style obviously, but would be more than happy if it were good, entertaining fare. Just read that the average attendance is 1500 people, that's quite impressive. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Hi mate i have also been to watch the Canadiens, the leafs, the Rangers and the Devils, and our league obviously isnt that standard, but the atmosphere at ours is something else, god if we had 15-20,000 watching us, you would hear the noise in Llanelli no probs. All i can say to you is simply come on down, and you will love it you will make friends so very easy, and although we have 11 imports theres nothing like watching a Welsh team, a warning mind you, you just might want to come on a regular basis, as once you have watched the Devils, then its very hard to not return. We already have season ticket holders from Llanelli and Swansea, Bridgend Cowbridge and many other places outside Cardiff. Bring your partner and you will both get hooked believe me, its the greatest sport on the planet and you will be very very welcome to join us in supporting the best hockey club in the UK.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

PCS

The standard of hockey played in the british league is good, obviously not to the standard of the NHL or the AHL, but somewhat comparable to that of the ECHL(at a stretch) and the CHL. With the devils and other teams in the leaue alike having some very talented players. The atmosphere at a pre-season will undoubtedly be great, the fans getting there first real fix of hockey in a while.

Last season the atmosphere had its highs and lows, I remember some matches such as boxing day coventry match where the atmosphere was electric, with a pretty much full capacity crowd, how ever there were some games such as newcastle and edinborough games when the atmosphere was rather limp. Though I think next season there will not be as many games with a bad atmosphere, with an extra import, many teams are looking to bring in some toughness and the chance of a fight always boosts the atmosphere:).

You realy should try and get down and watch some games, I can see next season being a very exciting one, with a very real chance of the Devils lifting some silver.

Finny

I would strongly recommend that you give it a couple of games at least, a lot of people I know said that the first couple of games were 'ok' but it took 3 or 4 to really get hooked.

The standard is obviously nowhere near as good as the NHL, but that doesn't mean it can't be more entertaining. I rarely watch an NHL game as I just don't have the passion watching it as I do for 'my' Cardiff Devils. Plus in the tent you will be much closer to the action and the atmosphere can be fantastic.
One of my friends asked to come to the Devils two years ago, so I got her a ticket. Just before the game she explained she hadn't seen a hockey game since she lived in Chicago 5 years earlier and went to the Blackhawks games occasionally.
I was worried she would find the drop to the Elite League too much - but it turned out she loved it. She said the atmosphere was much better and loved the fact you were almost on top of the players, and has come back for more games since.

Thread starter #6
Thanks for the positive replies, looking forward to coming down in the new season. I thoroughly enjoyed the matches I went to a decade or so ago so can't see any reason I won't enjoy it this time around.

Wannabe2

Nice to hear from you mate, see you guys in the new season, and a big welcome from the greatest fans in hockey, bar none. ;)

A

Anonymous

Me and the wife have just enjoyed our first season and we are both totally hooked. The passion and over all enjoyment of hockey night has blown us both away. Neither of us can wait until the new season. Im collecting hockey cards, my screen saver on my lap top is of the Devils, as it is on my mobile. Im obsessed and the wife's not far behind. See you at the opening game of the season, and I bet you any money you'll be back . . . . . . . . time and time again !! :p :twisted:

I used to watch the devils years ago befor i had children, they were the days of Nicky Chin, Stephen Cooper and Doug Mcewan. I have been away for a good few years at the end of last season my husband and i took our 3 girls to there first match, well we ended up watching the devils last 12 home matches including Jason Stones testmonial, my daughters are hooked and cant wait for the new season to start. You and your partner will be hooked i asure you. :D :D :D

drainage

I went to a game in Nov 1986 cos my boyfriend at the time thought it would be something to do on a Sunday night ( I was the loyal girlfriend !!) I still am a season ticket holder - got engaged , married and divorced to said boyfriend but remained hooked on the Devils !! I have seen games in North America and off course its not on a par - but its our team with a great following ..... and some of the best players to ever grace UK shores playing in Devils colours over the years.

You will love it ....... happy hockey days !