New Team in Leeds

kettdevil1

I think EIHL would be the way to go. Looking at the way the lower league has been struggling recently, a 2000 capacity is far too big and with rumours that two of the bigger clubs (Hull and Bracknell) might move up, I can’t see the logic of not going EIHL.

I have been past on the train a few times recently and construction seems to be going well after initially al hiccups.

Gospel

If you look at the Scottish teams and Coventry they are in the ball park of averaging 2000 per game. It would be a lot to ask to fill it every weekend to its capacity but they could be competitive I reckon.

osh

Well, if it was good enough for us - albeit temporarily - it will do a job in Leeds. Definitely aim for EIHL if the backing from decent ownership is prepared to take it on. Obviously it is a gamble for Leeds as it would mean a new coach setting up a team capable of competing straight away at EIHL level but that’s not to say it couldn’t be achieved and another team in a decent sized city could work out. Would be great to see other large cities get involved ( Dublin, Liverpool, a North East team etc )

Kevlar68

Leeds have a great history of great teams, Leeds United F.C. in the 60's & 70's, Leeds Rhinos in the 2000's, so why not a ice hockey team, think its a great idea, come on you DIRTY LEEDS!

tim78

I would prefer a 2 tier system, and keep a small margin between the import levels. ie drop 1 or 2 at the current level and another 2 - 3 the level below.

Plenty of teams could make the mark without new rinks and give the teams struggling an option to still compete.

Likes of Bracknell, Baskinstoke, Telford, Solhill, Slough, Blackburn, Whitley, Hull, Edignburugh and Leeds would make it an easier step, both financially and compitatively.

Kevlar68

Why isn't there a promotion/relegation system in the leagues? With Edinburgh gone couldn't a team have been promoted in to EIHL? I'm sketchy on the leagues thing if i'm being honest.

tim78

I'm presuming it's mostly run buy the clubs and not an independant body (could be wrong) but that would make it harder to natural form the above setup.

Wannabe2

Why isn't there a promotion/relegation system in the leagues? With Edinburgh gone couldn't a team have been promoted in to EIHL? I'm sketchy on the leagues thing if i'm being honest.
Lots of teams can’t afford, and don’t want to play in the Elite league, they can’t afford 12/15 imports don’t have top Brits, and would struggle exactly the same as the Caps. It wouldn’t suit them, and it wouldn’t suit the league. It’s been talked about for years, and just isn’t practicable.

Kevlar68

Lots of teams can’t afford, and don’t want to play in the Elite league, they can’t afford 12/15 imports don’t have top Brits, and would struggle exactly the same as the Caps. It wouldn’t suit them, and it wouldn’t suit the league. It’s been talked about for years, and just isn’t practicable.
Thanks for clearing that up, cheers.

Wannabe2

It’s been talked about for years Kev, to punters it makes sense, but in reality it’s a no no. Bracknell, Basingstoke, Peterborough, Hull to name a few used to be in the top uk league. But as the league progressed, standards rose, and competition became harder and more expensive, many team fell by the wayside never to return to the top. They now have found their level and fortunately are still around.

BostonBart22

Leeds will get top players from existing eihl teams to hit the road running.. Plus a decent coach dare I say lord.... Remember lawless done everything at devils then got snapped up by Manchester when they started out.

Wannabe2

Leeds will get top players from existing eihl teams to hit the road running.. Plus a decent coach dare I say lord.... Remember lawless done everything at devils then got snapped up by Manchester when they started out.
Sorry don’t agree with that one bit, how would they take top players from other teams, and why would Lord even let that job enter his head. They have our old rink, with less capacity, in a ok city, but not great. If they come into our league at sometime I can see them being another MKL at most.

James

Administrator
unfortunately relegation / promotion is a non starter for Ice hockey in this country. The level you play at is determined by the facility you have to a much greater extent than other sports.

Ocko

Sorry don’t agree with that one bit, how would they take top players from other teams, and why would Lord even let that job enter his head. They have our old rink, with less capacity, in a ok city, but not great. If they come into our league at sometime I can see them being another MKL at most.
Although it is certainly our old rink in terms of the basic structure, I believe it is a near complete redesign with a few bits added that wont bare a lot of resemblance to the BBT. For example, the steps are meant to be at the back rather than the front and a bar will overlook the ice so some considerable changes.

Great that this is finally getting off the ground and the EIHL is certainly an easier market to tap into than the NIHL where you need a plethora of local players. As long as the business plan is sound they'll be fine. Every team starts somewhere, who thought there would be a market for hockey in Cardiff, Belfast, Sheffield at the time of their inception? The rink capacity could do with a little increase, but it is still around the size of Guildford and they dont seem to be doing too badly. Maybe once a team are in there they could look to increase it a little with maybe more standing or corporate.