New Signing!

voth26

Needless to say I'm extremely excited about Shaone coming to join us. As Lordo mentioned, he's been on the radar for a while and through most of the summer it looked like he was coming but he's a very successful businessman back home in Vancouver and needed to make sure everything was tidy before he could commit. Now that he's here, there is only one thing on his mind and that's winning a title. Please make Shaone, his wife and son welcome in Cardiff as you guys always do!
Oh we will Steve he will get a massive red army welcome, when does he fly in or is he here already Steve?. Thank you for this signing hopefully we can turn the season into a more consistent one

SteveKing

Shaone gets in some time tomorrow. And to other poster's questions, there is nobody leaving the team. I think we've got a great mix of players on more importantly people on this team. Every one of them brings something to the table that I think can win us another title. We've always carried an extra and that's what we'll do again for the rest of this season.

jimmy snels

Shaone gets in some time tomorrow. And to other poster's questions, there is nobody leaving the team. I think we've got a great mix of players on more importantly people on this team. Every one of them brings something to the table that I think can win us another title. We've always carried an extra and that's what we'll do again for the rest of this season.
great work Steve K! exactly what we needed. i hope this this will be a weller/stracs type move for us.
out of interest Steve, as a 36 year old who runs a real successful buisness in Vancouver, what is his motivation to play here at 36 years old because clearly its not a monetary decision? so is he a guy motivated by success? seeing the world whilst playing his favourite sport? the comradeship of playing on a team still? an unhealthy fascination of sheep so wales was the obvious choice? ;)

im genuinely chuffed we moved like this. looking forward to seeing him play!

SteveKing

Yah Jimmy he's put himself in a position where he knows what he's doing after hockey so now he can play the sport that he loves for as long as he can. Very few players have that luxury. He hasn't won a championship before as a pro so his primary motivation is to lift some silverware. He told me that he'd love to play until he's 40 if it's possible and with his skating, he just might be able to. He also wanted a good setup for his wife and son as well so that played a part. I can't speak to any potential sheep fetish.

Devils86

Very happy to hear no departures. My word I love our owners and management.

On the D men point. I always think a mix of offensive D man and stay at home is the mix to aim for (roughly - although guys like Ritchie are bit of both) hence I list Fourns, McMonagle and Reddick as the offensive d-men. Ritchie and Jardine as both. And Louis as the stay at home man.

Recruiting Morrisonn as a stay at home D man says to me you pick 2 from Morrisonn, Louis and Jardine (can’t drop Ritchie because of who he is and how he enables Fourns to play).

That being said I can understand the need for a shutdown pair - like last year when we paired Louis and Batch.

august04

I’ve always liked playing a defence minded D man alongside a more offensive guy (Hotham-Richie, Fournier-Louis, Strachan-Reddick etc). So we have 3 more stay at home D men really now in Morrisonn, Louis and Richardson so pair each one of those with one of our more offensive players (Fournier, Jardine, McMonagle and Reddick). There’s obviously a spare and I’ve said before who would be spare for me if they are all fit. I’m sure we’ll get injuries though, so no doubt there’ll be plenty of game time to go around amongst the 7.

This signing also allows Mosey not to rushed back and when he does get back, he can ease himself slowly into a forward role rather than being thrown in at the back end where he will probably be under greater pressure.

Last edited:

Finny

I’ve said before that our lack of goals worries me more than the number we’ve been conceding, but ultimately its defence that wins championships and when a player of this calibre of player becomes available you don’t say no.

As others have said it’s very reminiscent of Tyson Strachan’s arrival. He doesn’t need to be flashy like Fournier or have the offence of Hotham, we just need to be able to have someone who will shut down the opposition.

Will be interesting to see who sits in coming weeks. Niggling injuries might play a part in that. But it’s also interesting to see how different we all see how players are performing.

Reddick has been mentioned as a possibility for that 7th D spot. Yet for me Reddick has been our second most consistent Dman behind only Richardson.
We could play him on the wing, but I wonder if we might see Louis there instead. I think Lord has tried that before and it’d be another big body throwing hits upfront.

august04

Reddick has been mentioned as a possibility for that 7th D spot. Yet for me Reddick has been our second most consistent Dman behind only Richardson.
We could play him on the wing, but I wonder if we might see Louis there instead. I think Lord has tried that before and it’d be another big body throwing hits upfront.
Of course we all see things differently and it’s a subjective one as I don’t think any of our defenceman has had a particularly strong season so far, even Richie - and he’s always been consistently good. Lord mentioned injuries have hit hard too of late, so I’m sure there’ll be games for everyone and different D pairings will be looked at. I hope Louis stays in defence though, as I don‘t think we see the best of him when he’s been played as a forward in the past.

moggy#9

I’ve always liked playing a defence minded D man alongside a more offensive guy (Hotham-Richie, Fournier-Louis, Strachan-Reddick etc). So we have 3 more stay at home D men really now in Morrisonn, Louis and Richardson so pair each one of those with one of our more offensive players (Fournier, Jardine, McMonagle and Reddick). There’s obviously a spare and I’ve said before who would be spare for me if they are all fit. I’m sure we’ll get injuries though, so no doubt there’ll be plenty of game time to go around amongst the 7.

This signing also allows Mosey not to rushed back and when he does get back, he can ease himself slowly into a forward role rather than being thrown in at the back end where he will probably be under greater pressure.
I completely agree with not rushing mosey back before he's fully fit. A lesser club might have cut him or rush him back to playing. The commitment to making sure we have the roster to win, plus the treatment of mosey show what a class organisation and great owners that we have.

ASHIPP

From recent PR articles Evan is making good progress and has level of self motivation to do everything he can to get fit as quickly as possible.

We are missing him there is no doubt but would rather he takes the right amount of time and returns fully recovered to contribute and enjoy his season.

Lord will have plenty of options now with Shaone's arrival in different positions. He just has to find the right combinations and chemistries for the team to be consistently good.

JT666

After complaining of being bored at games, I've put my money where my mouth is and ordered six tickets for my friends and I for this game on the back of the new signing. First experience of Block 13, can't wait!

Samael

Nice early Xmas present for the fans. The fact he kept his word about keeping in touch and came good speaks volumes about his class and the club's. Let's all hope he enjoys his experience as a Devil and does the business for the fans. Croseo Shaone.

terry hunt

Yah Jimmy he's put himself in a position where he knows what he's doing after hockey so now he can play the sport that he loves for as long as he can. Very few players have that luxury. He hasn't won a championship before as a pro so his primary motivation is to lift some silverware. He told me that he'd love to play until he's 40 if it's possible and with his skating, he just might be able to. He also wanted a good setup for his wife and son as well so that played a part. I can't speak to any potential sheep fetish.
The way your going Steve we will have you eating lavabread soon.

Jonesy83

Interesting comment on Dave Simms periscope tonight about our new signing.
saying he’s got something like 20 million in the bank and not sure how committed he’ll be to playing.

Personally I can’t see that being the case, as if it was, what would be the point in coming over in the first place.

Samael

How would the estate agent know that? Wild speculation methinks based on his previous NHL career.

I bet he is set up for life though and wants to play simply for a love of the game and to lift a cup, Steve pretty much said this earlier in the thread.

jenks33

I watched the Simms periscope and saw his comments about Morrisonn. To be fair to him on this occasion Aaron Fox did have Morrisonn in Zagreb for 3 years so Simms was surely repeating what Fox has said to him. Let’s just hope we’ve got ourselves a Tyson Strachan and not a chris Stewart. Personally I can see Morrisonn having a positive effect, I just hope he settles quicker than maybe expected having not played for a while.

Gazza272

I watched the Simms periscope and saw his comments about Morrisonn. To be fair to him on this occasion Aaron Fox did have Morrisonn in Zagreb for 3 years so Simms was surely repeating what Fox has said to him. Let’s just hope we’ve got ourselves a Tyson Strachan and not a chris Stewart. Personally I can see Morrisonn having a positive effect, I just hope he settles quicker than maybe expected having not played for a while.
For those who haven't seen it, what exactly was said?