New Devils Jerseys

Finny

Its down to the facilities. I used to work with a bloke from Treorchy who was a massive bluebirds fan and also a soul crew nutter. Had nothing to do with "Welshness", he just wanted to watch football and have a fight, which he couldn't do in Treorchy as there wasn't a club with the facilities or funding there.
Maybe for that one guy, but that doesn’t explain why Cardiff fans sing Men of Harlech or fly the St David’s Flag at away games.
Every time you go to an away games it is Wales v England.

Moggy wasn't saying he wanted to change the branding of the club to represent the Cardiff culture and history you failed to recognized but now conveniently u turn. The Devils Ice hockey team have about as much to do with the docks, Billy the seal, Bonfire night in Sofia Gardens as they do with Dragons, Welsh cakes and Max bloomin Boyce.

You have twisted it to suit your own argument which paradoxically now contradicts what you say about raising Welsh branding. We aren't the Tiger Bay devils neither are we the Cardiff Dragons. The team has a unique brand, although you also try to dismiss that due to the existence of New Jersey l suppose.

If we were a national team then yeah I'd agree we should use national symbolism (l actually liked the 3 feathers shoulder flashes used in the 90s) but we are are club team first and foremost with a club identity.
And we all had Doctors' papers! :) From a Yorkshireman that loves Max Boyce!

Samael

At least since 1906.
After Cardiff was granted City status in 1905 both a flag and Coat of Arms were commissioned for the city. Both have a red dragon at the centre.
Earlier you asked what ‘Y ddraig goch ddry cychwyn'’ means and why it was on a previous jersey. It means ‘The Red Dragon Will Advance’ and is the motto at the bottom of the Cardiff City Coat of Arms.

Ah Mark we can all use google to look things up and appear smarter than we actually are, one of your favourite hobbies I believe? I didn't ask what it meant and actually posted "The red dragon will advance" as an interpretation of the translation in this very thread which you obviously haven't ready properly so you're not telling me anything I don't already know.

So there's a dragon on the coat of arms of Cardiff, I'd wager the Dragon appears on lots of Welsh cities coats of arms, Whoopie doo doesn't mean the city is known for it though does it!

The Dragon symbol however is not WIDELY associated with the city of Cardiff, type into google image search Cardiff imagery and see what comes up sure as sherbet isn't a dragon but please do be pedantic about it.

Kevlar68

Isn't the dragon mainly associated with the Chinese? I think they have the oldest connection to the mythical creature. ;)

Last edited:

NathanG

I for one am delighted with the increase of Welshness within the organisation. It was great to see on a twitter poll a few weeks ago too that the vast majority of fans want an increase too.
If it is the work of the new social media guy then well done to him, but whoever is behind the subtle changes with more bilingual tweets, more Welsh flags, Welsh language on last seasons jerseys, and what looks like a Dragon on this years jersey, it's good to see the organisation catching up with where we should have been on this issue a while ago now.
The name 'Cardiff Devils' is not special or unique. There's dozens of hockey teams called Devils, and 'Devils' has no importance or relevance to the city of Cardiff. Fire and flames, wow how original in hockey. I mean we're literally in a 10 team league with one team called Blaze and another called Flames.
What is unique is we are the only professional hockey club in the country. And that is to be celebrated and promoted. The name Devils was picked as John Lawless wanted it to be 'Cythraul', the Welsh for Devil or demon. We wear red and green because of the colours of the Welsh flag. There's nothing 'creeping' about it, the fundamentals of the club was built on Welsh identity and its great to see it making a resurgence.
Very well said!!

Wannabe2

The Dragon appeared on the battle flags of various British soldiers on their way to Rome in the 4th century. It was later adopted by 5th century Welsh Kings who were keen to show their authority following the Roman withdrawal.

Kevlar68

I think we should have Norman Wisdom on the shirts. If he walked from London to Cardiff to find work in the docks (true fact) Cardiff must have been a great city.

Finny

Ah Mark we can all use google to look things up and appear smarter than we actually are, one of your favourite hobbies I believe? I didn't ask what it meant and actually posted "The red dragon will advance" as an interpretation of the translation in this very thread which you obviously haven't ready properly so you're not telling me anything I don't already know.

So there's a dragon on the coat of arms of Cardiff, I'd wager the Dragon appears on lots of Welsh cities coats of arms, Whoopie doo doesn't mean the city is known for it though does it!

The Dragon symbol however is not WIDELY associated with the city of Cardiff, type into google image search Cardiff imagery and see what comes up sure as sherbet isn't a dragon but please do be pedantic about it.
Yes. I just happened to Google “ is there a red dragon on the city of Cardiff coat of arms?” and boom I got lucky. God forbid I find the history of the city I was born in to be of interest and to read books about it.

So let me turn it around and ask you what images you think represent Cardiff More appropriately than it’s 116 year old flag and coat of arms?

Samael

The Dragon appeared on the battle flags of various British soldiers on their way to Rome in the 4th century. It was later adopted by 5th century Welsh Kings who were keen to show their authority following the Roman withdrawal.
Well there we have it then, blame the Romans, Cardiff Castle is Roman too! I'm sure the resident pseudo intellectual here, Mark Finn, is googling something obscure in response to that.

Doesn't Russell Crowe play a Roman general or something in the film Gladiator and say the words "at my signal unleash hell"? Maybe that could be spliced into a promo video for the club seeing as we are all about being Welsh these days

Samael

Yes. I just happened to Google “ is there a red dragon on the city of Cardiff coat of arms?” and boom I got lucky. God forbid I find the history of the city I was born in to be of interest and to read books about it.

So let me turn it around and ask you what images you think represent Cardiff More appropriately than it’s 116 year old flag and coat of arms?
Roath Park Lake, The Indoor Market, The Bay, The Brains Brewery, Orange buses, The two fake castles built by the Marquess of Bute, I could go on

None of which make for a good team logo or name though. That was decided in 1986 and it stuck.

Samael

Now have you typed into google images "Cardiff imagery" yet?

tell me what comes up please, I want you to answer not your forum cronies.

Last edited:

Finny

The thing is, Cardiff isn‘t really famous for anything other than being the Capital City of Wales. Yes it boomed during the industrial revolution thanks to coal. But no coal was mined here. Cardiff just happened to be near the coast and close to rivers of thone valleys that did mine coal.

As a result of being the capital of wales it was chosen to be the location of the national library of wales, the national stadium of wales, the government of wales etc

It‘s therefore very difficult to argue that Cardiff doesn’t symbolise welshness.

I hope there is some welshness on the jersey…….