New Devils Jerseys

Samael

Now maybe some of you will understand why I said ‘leave it be’.
Pretty obvious really!
It's a forum, forums are for people to discuss things.

Your 'l told you so' and 'l know better' attitude adds nothing to this thread Earnie.

It's a quiet day hockey wise and this is a relatively civil discussion so let people have it. You don't have to read or comment on it if you don't like it.

Devil94

No distinct Cardiff culture? That's pretty ignorant of the city's history. Perhaps this is the sort of awareness we lost when the industrial and Maritime museum was torn down to make way for mermaid quay and the assembly.

You might want to acquaint your self with the contributions of people from Ireland, the west indies, Asia and other places, who built the city and who's influence made the city the wonderful multicultural place that it is. If you're not convinced there several statues around the city commemorating the fact.
I'm not denying Cardiff has a rich history. I'm Cardiff born too and know all about it, but none of those things you mentioned are even remotely linked to the Cardiff Devils, which is what we're talking about. So I can't see how adding more Welsh culture (you know, being the capital city of Wales and all) takes away from something that wasn't even there in the first place. We didn't used to be called the Tiger Bay Dockers and now the Cardiff Dragons.
You haven't lost anything, it's still the same club, and the Devils are trying to expand their horizons and possibly reach more communities. Its a win-win for all involved.

august04 2.0

The clue is in the name - we are the Cardiff Devils - end of - and have brought much value to the reputation/awareness of the city of Cardiff across the globe in the past 30 odd years. Long may that continue. I’m extremely proud to be Welsh but for me that’s irrelevant really when Cardiff rugby, Cardiff City and the Cardiff Devils are in action. For me, they represent my beloved city for the most part, not my country. Now when Wales play anything, that’s a different kettle of fish, and I’m as patriotic as anyone else. Unfortunately we don’t have a Wales ice hockey team though.

moggy#9

I'm not denying Cardiff has a rich history. I'm Cardiff born too and know all about it, but none of those things you mentioned are even remotely linked to the Cardiff Devils, which is what we're talking about. So I can't see how adding more Welsh culture (you know, being the capital city of Wales and all) takes away from something that wasn't even there in the first place. We didn't used to be called the Tiger Bay Dockers and now the Cardiff Dragons.
You haven't lost anything, it's still the same club, and the Devils are trying to expand their horizons and possibly reach more communities. Its a win-win for all involved.
Oh come on, you can't have it both ways. You say that Cardiff culture isn't remotely linked to the devils, but then try to put a Welsh wrapper on the team.

As far as I'm concerned the devils are not wales' team, they're Cardiff's. I'm kinda sick of everything the city has being branded with Wales this, or Welsh that. Cardiff has an identity not wrapped up in whatever the likes of Aberystwyth, Carmarthen, Rhyl or Swansea think about anything.

Samael

Moggy wasn't saying he wanted to change the branding of the club to represent the Cardiff culture and history you failed to recognized but now conveniently u turn. The Devils Ice hockey team have about as much to do with the docks, Billy the seal, Bonfire night in Sofia Gardens as they do with Dragons, Welsh cakes and Max bloomin Boyce.

You have twisted it to suit your own argument which paradoxically now contradicts what you say about raising Welsh branding. We aren't the Tiger Bay devils neither are we the Cardiff Dragons. The team has a unique brand, although you also try to dismiss that due to the existence of New Jersey l suppose.

If we were a national team then yeah I'd agree we should use national symbolism (l actually liked the 3 feathers shoulder flashes used in the 90s) but we are are club team first and foremost with a club identity.

Last edited:

Devil94

Not for one minute have I said that the Cardiff Devils don't have a brand or identity or similar. It does, and it has been built over the last 36 years. But apart from the name obviously, the branding has nothing to do with Cardiff itself. Red is not Cardiff, 'Devils' is not Cardiff, we have played at Wales National Ice Rink and Ice Arena Wales, no mention of Cardiff there.
Don't get me wrong, if the Devils made an effort to connect more to the history and 'culture' of Cardiff too, then I would be just as delighted. Something relevant that adds more uniqueness to the generic brand of Devil, hell and flames is most welcome. I'm equally a Cardiffian and a Welshman, and I'm certainly not for pitting different communities in Wales against each other. Wales has enough issues already for that nonsense. But the idea that somehow adding Welshness takes away from the Cardiffness is just bizarre.

Samael

Not for one minute have I said that the Cardiff Devils don't have a brand or identity or similar. It does, and it has been built over the last 36 years. But apart from the name obviously, the branding has nothing to do with Cardiff itself. Red is not Cardiff, 'Devils' is not Cardiff, we have played at Wales National Ice Rink and Ice Arena Wales, no mention of Cardiff there.
Don't get me wrong, if the Devils made an effort to connect more to the history and 'culture' of Cardiff too, then I would be just as delighted. Something relevant that adds more uniqueness to the generic brand of Devil, hell and flames is most welcome. I'm equally a Cardiffian and a Welshman, and I'm certainly not for pitting different communities in Wales against each other. Wales has enough issues already for that nonsense. But the idea that somehow adding Welshness takes away from the Cardiffness is just bizarre.
Oh really? so you never said:

"The name 'Cardiff Devils' is not special or unique. There's dozens of hockey teams called Devils, and 'Devils' has no importance or relevance to the city of Cardiff. Fire and flames, wow how original in hockey. I mean we're literally in a 10 team league with one team called Blaze and another called Flames."

Make your mind up will you.

"If Devils make an effort to connect more to the history and "culture" of Cardiff then yes I would be just as delighted"

Culture you were denying even existed a few posts ago. You change your tune about as often as the names of the sponsors on our shirts don't you sunshine.

Last edited:

kingmo19.1

Oh jeez, after all the speculation in this thread I’ve seen the jersey this afternoon!

Who would have thought it would contain examples of the sea fish found in the bay! Also, it was good to see the holograms of the retired players embossed into the fabric (nice touch). The owners autographs on the front was another nice touch - especially the gold lettering! Also the graphics of the great castles and collieries of South Wales was lovely, although I’m not sure about the pink background! Surprised that the Sheffield Window company has extended its sponsorship to include us, but hey ho! The sleeve graphics look ok! :)

Devil94

Oh really? so you never said:

"The name 'Cardiff Devils' is not special or unique. There's dozens of hockey teams called Devils, and 'Devils' has no importance or relevance to the city of Cardiff. Fire and flames, wow how original in hockey. I mean we're literally in a 10 team league with one team called Blaze and another called Flames."

Make you mind up will you
I don't know how to answer that because I don't get what part you are unable to understand or what point you're trying to make. In both posts I said the name Devils has no relevance to Cardiff, which is true. In both posts I said the name is a generic hockey name, which is true. In both posts I also said that fire and flames is also generic, which is true, giving an example of 2 other teams in a small league with similar names.

In my view, some touches that can make us more unique and more symbolic of the communities around us and who we represent is a very good thing. Hardly a controversial take.

Finny

The only major sports club that could realistically be described as a Cardiff sports clubs is Cardiff RFC. And that’s despite trying to broaden their support.

I believe Cardiff City FC get more of its support from outside the city than within it. You only need see the names on the flags at away games to understand that. It’s a club in Cardiff for the people of the city , it’s surrounding area and the South Wales valleys (excluding Swansea and Newport). There have been various example of it embracing it’s Welshness over the years (excluding the switch to red shirts).

And I see Cardiff Devils being similar. But with an even bigger catchment area for fans.

Our team colours were Red, White and Green based on the Welsh flag. The name Devils was chosen because the NJ Devils played in the same colours. Our first home was the Wales National Ice Rink (and we now play at Ice Arena Wales). The have been various examples of ‘welshness’ in our jerseys over the years and I see no change in that.

I‘d argue there is far more to suggest we’re a Welsh club based in Cardiff than a Cardiff club playing in Wales.

Samael

The point I'm making is quite clear Devil94, you change your tune when it suits. Not my problem if you cant grasp it, I thought I was quite clear though.

Now, sit up and pay attention I'm saying this once:

Devil imagery on club marketing and merch has no relevance (according to you) to Cardiff, yet you are delighted that Welsh imagery on club merch is becoming more of thing. When was the Dragon synonymous with Cardiff? You are trying to argue that Devil branding is generic, well guess what so is a lot of Welsh branding that may or may not be introduced in the future (the jersey hasn't even been shown yet and might not even feature a dragon or could be devils wings for all we know). We are not a national team as much as some people would like to think we are, we are not. The fact there are so few hockey clubs in Wales and the UK as a whole tells you it is niche and putting flags and national symbols on Jersey's wont change that, I'm very sorry to tell you.

Over the past 36 years the club has been recognized as being the Cardiff Devils, it's a solid recognised brand, in my opinion, built on success which aside from a handful of names such as Stone, Lyle etc was achieved by the Maple Leaf, not the Dragon. The Welsh connection was never pushed to the fanbase by the club so I don't see the point in it now.

No one is threatened, I personally am just not interested in nationalism at club level and I don't think I'm alone.

Now I am going to take on board what Earnie said earlier and I'm going to leave it, I can't be bothered (with you) anymore. This has gone so far off topic and you strike me as the kind of poster who will drone on and will contradict yourself to try and prove something.

"Hwyl fawr"

august04 2.0

The only major sports club that could realistically be described as a Cardiff sports clubs is Cardiff RFC. And that’s despite trying to broaden their support.

I believe Cardiff City FC get more of its support from outside the city than within it. You only need see the names on the flags at away games to understand that. It’s a club in Cardiff for the people of the city , it’s surrounding area and the South Wales valleys (excluding Swansea and Newport). There have been various example of it embracing it’s Welshness over the years (excluding the switch to red shirts).

And I see Cardiff Devils being similar. But with an even bigger catchment area for fans.

Our team colours were Red, White and Green based on the Welsh flag. The name Devils was chosen because the NJ Devils played in the same colours. Our first home was the Wales National Ice Rink (and we now play at Ice Arena Wales). The have been various examples of ‘welshness’ in our jerseys over the years and I see no change in that.

I‘d argue there is far more to suggest we’re a Welsh club based in Cardiff than a Cardiff club playing in Wales.
Some good points here and it’s clearly a very personal issue, which people will have different views on depending on how they feel. When I watch the Cardiff Devils, my overriding view is that we're not representing Wales, but Cardiff. That’s very personal to me and some will feel differently, no problem with that at all. I’d even go as far as doing away with the anthem as I don’t think it should necessarily be played before routine “club” games anyway. As you say, Cardiff City attract many fans from the valleys and beyond, but that’s more “tribal” than having anything to do with being a Welsh club based in Cardiff. They could just as easily support Swansea, Newport etc. But for whatever reason, they choose Cardiff City and I just can’t see the link with “Welshness“ in that example. You never know, some might be happy with a rebrand to the Cardiff Welsh Dragons. Not for me though!

Samael

Some good points here and it’s clearly a very personal issue, which people will have different views on depending on how they feel. When I watch the Cardiff Devils, my overriding view is that we're not representing Wales, but Cardiff. That’s very personal to me and some will feel differently, no problem with that at all. I’d even go as far as doing away with the anthem as I don’t think it should necessarily be played before routine “club” games anyway. As you say, Cardiff City attract many fans from the valleys and beyond, but that’s more “tribal” than having anything to do with being a Welsh club based in Cardiff. They could just as easily support Swansea, Newport etc. But for whatever reason, they choose Cardiff City and I just can’t see the link with “Welshness“ in that example. You never know, some might be happy with a rebrand to the Cardiff Welsh Dragons. Not for me though!
Its down to the facilities. I used to work with a bloke from Treorchy who was a massive bluebirds fan and also a soul crew nutter. Had nothing to do with "Welshness", he just wanted to watch football and have a fight, which he couldn't do in Treorchy as there wasn't a club with the facilities or funding there.

Devil94

The point I'm making is quite clear Devil94, you change your tune when it suits. Not my problem if you cant grasp it, I thought I was quite clear though.

Now, sit up and pay attention I'm saying this once:

Devil imagery on club marketing and merch has no relevance (according to you) to Cardiff, yet you are delighted that Welsh imagery on club merch is becoming more of thing. When was the Dragon synonymous with Cardiff? You are trying to argue that Devil branding is generic, well guess what so is a lot of Welsh branding that may or may not be introduced in the future (the jersey hasn't even been shown yet and might not even feature a dragon or could be devils wings for all we know). We are not a national team as much as some people would like to think we are, we are not. The fact there are so few hockey clubs in Wales and the UK as a whole tells you it is niche and putting flags and national symbols on Jersey's wont change that, I'm very sorry to tell you.

Over the past 36 years the club has been recognized as being the Cardiff Devils, it's a solid recognised brand, in my opinion, built on success which aside from a handful of names such as Stone, Lyle etc was achieved by the Maple Leaf, not the Dragon. The Welsh connection was never pushed to the fanbase by the club so I don't see the point in it now.

No one is threatened, I personally am just not interested in nationalism at club level and I don't think I'm alone.

Now I am going to take on board what Earnie said earlier and I'm going to leave it, I can't be bothered (with you) anymore. This has gone so far off topic and you strike me as the kind of poster who will drone on and will contradict yourself to try and prove something.

"Hwyl fawr"
Dragon = Welsh. Cardiff = Welsh. I'm sure even you can see the connection.

Yes you seem to have gotten yourself all confused so better to leave it. Just a warning though, if you're at the game Friday, during the Welsh anthem there might be a picture of a dragon on the big screen. Be sure to close your eyes if you don't want to see it.

moggy#9

Yes, if be with you for all the elite league clubs to drop the national anthem. If rather them just get on with the game for domestic matches.

Finny

When was the Dragon synonymous with Cardiff?
At least since 1906.
After Cardiff was granted City status in 1905 both a flag and Coat of Arms were commissioned for the city. Both have a red dragon at the centre.
Earlier you asked what ‘Y ddraig goch ddry cychwyn'’ means and why it was on a previous jersey. It means ‘The Red Dragon Will Advance’ and is the motto at the bottom of the Cardiff City Coat of Arms.

jenks33

At least since 1906.
After Cardiff was granted City status in 1905 both a flag and Coat of Arms were commissioned for the city. Both have a red dragon at the centre.
Earlier you asked what ‘Y ddraig goch ddry cychwyn'’ means and why it was on a previous jersey. It means ‘The Red Dragon Will Advance’ and is the motto at the bottom of the Cardiff City Coat of Arms.
Mic drop