New Coach.....

JC23

Because they know the style of play Lordo liked, they know Cardiff, they're settled in Cardiff, we are not sure what sort if season we are going to get, so these two could be perfect as a temporary measure. Plus Linglet will definitely have some contacts. Everyone is allowed an opinion, no harm. This is still the thread for the new coach is it not??
I can see what you’re thinking bud, and I can see why.

But, I also think that where we are as a team, and as a league, we will be looking towards a proven coach rather than ex players. I don’t think we’re going to have to go down that route like we did with Lordo.

I think the days of ex players taking over as coaches are gone for our league.

zoesdevil

I
I can see what you’re thinking bud, and I can see why.

But, I also think that where we are as a team, and as a league, we will be looking towards a proven coach rather than ex players. I don’t think we’re going to have to go down that route like we did with Lordo.

I think the days of ex players taking over as coaches are gone for our league.
Hope we are pal, as they have the experience in big leagues, so that could help our recruitment also, I think it all depends on what is happening with the league.

Wannabe2

But why would a proven coach in a higher league come here, myself I can see it either being in house or a ex player taking over the reins. Think 9 out of 10 teams have been running with ex players, I still think it will be a in house thing, and would like to see Hendo as assistant coach. Interesting times ahead to be sure, only time will tell. Stay safe everyone.

The_Puck

Where we are as a club now, we shouldn’t be relying on ex players to take over as our new coach. Let’s not forget the only reason Lord was our coach was because we couldn’t afford to have a bench coach. I don’t think we can take a risk on an ex player without coaching experience. It has worked for some teams (us with Lord, Keefe in Belfast) however let’s not forget it’s also not worked for other teams (fitzy in Glasgow, Walser in Belfast). The only ex player I think we would go for is Riley and that’s because he did a sports coaching degree when playing in Belfast. Some people here saying “why would a proven coach want to come here”. Well you could ask the same about some of our players who we’ve signed young out of America. They could want a chance of scenery, the same as a new coach. Others on here saying we should get Hendo or Linglet to be our coach because they have experience running the junior devils. Taking a few sessions for kids and coaching a team in the top flight of British hockey also in the CHL are two completely different things.

Where we are as a club now, we shouldn’t be relying on ex players to take over as our new coach. Let’s not forget the only reason Lord was our coach was because we couldn’t afford to have a bench coach. I don’t think we can take a risk on an ex player without coaching experience. It has worked for some teams (us with Lord, Keefe in Belfast) however let’s not forget it’s also not worked for other teams (fitzy in Glasgow, Walser in Belfast). The only ex player I think we would go for is Riley and that’s because he did a sports coaching degree when playing in Belfast. Some people here saying “why would a proven coach want to come here”. Well you could ask the same about some of our players who we’ve signed young out of America. They could want a chance of scenery, the same as a new coach. Others on here saying we should get Hendo or Linglet to be our coach because they have experience running the junior devils. Taking a few sessions for kids and coaching a team in the top flight of British hockey also in the CHL are two completely different things.
I hate Walser after he skated round during the Anthem, I hate him even more no one gave him a hiding for it. However imo he didn't do that bad a job as a coach. He was brought in from the NLA to a new side to be a player / head coach and it was too big an ask. At least when Lord player coached he knew the side. It always felt like he was just keeping the seat warm ready for Keefe.

Linked to Walser slightly because he signed him for Belfast. I think Jim Vandermeer could be a candidate, assistant to Keefe for 2 years and won a lot of trophies. Lot of connections through his family, knows Riley and the EIHL well. And he's an from Alberta which is huge for Steve King.

ASHIPP

Long term ambition unfortunately will be dictated by short term reality.
Things are progressing in the UK but there is still so much uncertainty. Until an announcement is made confirming the commencement of a new season, surely things are in limbo?

Can't imagine under those circumstances any coach from NA or Europe wanting to come to the UK.
If its going to be a part season or shorter season, I can honestly see the coaching being managed internally by the Club - input from Todd, Franny, senior players and maybe associates of the Club.

Longterm, even more need now with Luke having departed, that at least one member of the new coaching team is someone who understands the Club, the League, the culture and ethos if the Devils want to maintain continuity and the style/spirit. Perhaps a player/Assistant Coach or a former player involved?

ASHIPP

The coaching setup is such an important decision. They will want to get this as right as they can because these are potentially longterm appointments. It shouldn't affect the eventual announcements of other players already signed (but not announced) or the future recruitment process this off season as the Club already will be targeting other new players.
Won't be surprised if there is not much news for a while yet. Give them the space to make decisions without pressure of having to make announcements.

Samael

l think short of signing someone like Scotty Bowman people will pick holes regardless. Now before the snide remarks start flying in from Nottingham and Belfast l am not as ridiculous to say our previous coach was at that level, l am just stating he will be a tough act to follow given the team's domestic success over the last few years and if the new coach isnt farting out challenge cups, league titles and playoff wins from the get go l have a feeling some here will be blaming the coach for that, which will be unfair in their first season on the bench. We'll see though.

Mazzoak

l think short of signing someone like Scotty Bowman people will pick holes regardless. Now before the snide remarks start flying in from Nottingham and Belfast l am not as ridiculous to say our previous coach was at that level, l am just stating he will be a tough act to follow given the team's domestic success over the last few years and if the new coach isnt farting out challenge cups, league titles and playoff wins from the get go l have a feeling some here will be blaming the coach for that, which will be unfair in their first season on the bench. We'll see though.
If the Devils being competitive against an NHL squad wasn’t embarrassing enough, we know have this comment.

august04

Thread starter #116
The fact remains that we didn’t win the league this year (although I’m sure we would have). We didn’t win it the year before either. We didn’t win the Challenge Cup in the last three years. That’s not Devil’s domination of all the EIHL competitions, that might make it an impossible job for the new coach to follow. It’s an incredible opportunity for someone, with the back up that they will have, not a poisoned chalice.

Mazzoak

Intentional or not, by mentioning one of the greatest coaches in hockey history and comparing those tough shoes in the same paragraph does smell of insinuation.

Samael

If the Devils being competitive against an NHL squad wasn’t embarrassing enough, we know have this comment.
so Mazzoak what part of "I am not ridiculous enough to say our previous coach is at that level" did you not understand? Pretty clear I thought, unless of course your reading comprehension is somewhat lacking, or you are willfully misinterpreting what I said just to start another argument. I'd expect it from other teams fans that post here but not from a regular, who I assume is a Devils fan of some sort, even if an extremely negative one.

Last edited: