New Coach.....

Not necessarily although it helps. In North America the coaches have very little say in recruitment. They’re pretty much given their team by the GM and work with what they have so most coaches applying for the role won’t be adverse to working with a team they haven’t signed themselves.
I would say there is a collective agreement to hire x type of player and that was to suit lord. I would expect the devils management to look for coaches to fit the style and ethos of the devils so to keep continuity (if that's a word). Basically we have built a team over the last few years and coaches will be looked at to build on it not to start over

CaldicotDevil

When the good times return ,and the world is a safer place, I would love to see a game or two between Devils and Swamp Rabbits.
Be nice but it'll never happen, we can't sell out Forlunda let alone an ECHL team.

Be interesting to see how an EIHL side would compete against ECHL.

moggy#9

Agreed but we might sell out Lordo's team
The logistical challenges of getting a team over from North America would be massive. I can't see how it would be made to work for a minor league team. I do however hope there's an opportunity for the fans to show appreciation to lordo.

tim78

Trip to NC would be good if the flights were cheap enough, though i'm sure it would be a very welcoming sight at some point to see a devils jersey in their crowd...

Though I'm not looking forward to seeing the news that Bowns or Fournier have followed suite (no rumour or news, just plain old anxiety ;). At the end of the day these players have committed to this team massively and hope they return.

moggy#9

Trip to NC would be good if the flights were cheap enough, though i'm sure it would be a very welcoming sight at some point to see a devils jersey in their crowd...

Though I'm not looking forward to seeing the news that Bowns or Fournier have followed suite (no rumour or news, just plain old anxiety ;). At the end of the day these players have committed to this team massively and hope they return.
I have an idea that there are quotas for certain categories of players in the ECHL (ie veteran, rookie), I don't know how that would affect things. I'd be more concerned about them ending up in Austria.

matbur

I think Bowns will be playing in Europe next season, Fournier following Lord over though has to be a real worry.

moggy#9

I can't see why fournier would go back to the ECHL. Surely it'd be a case of been there, done that. The only reason for it might be of it were one of the few leagues running.

Ocko

I presumable with a larger capacity and ticket prices higher they can always offer a better salary.
Not quite. The money in the ECHL isn’t great. They have a salary cap of $13k per week. Which makes the average about $500-600 per week per player (roughly £400) and because there is a minimum salary also of around $500 per player, no one really earns big bucks. A player like Fournier is probably on triple that per week in Cardiff. Money is the reason half of the imports end up in the EIHL and certainly won’t be a reason why someone would go to the ECHL.

kingmo19.1

Plus all the travelling in the ECHL is tiring. it’s a wise move for imports to move to Europe if they know their unlikely to progress further over there - better salary, benefits, less travel and a lifestyle experience. As previously mentioned, most of the U.K. imports have been there and done it and that’s why a hardly anyone goes back - unless their options are severely limited.

tim78

Just googled it, interesting why it's that low when you consider their roster sizes and the general arena size. Then is this a result of the amount of league and team changes the US sees? (slightly off topic). Only looked at the swamp rabbits attendances which is just above ours.

pjj365

Just googled it, interesting why it's that low when you consider their roster sizes and the general arena size. Then is this a result of the amount of league and team changes the US sees? (slightly off topic). Only looked at the swamp rabbits attendances which is just above ours.
If attendance is just below ours then no wonder they want a proven team/crowd builder. The capacity is just short of 14k

As to wages it's not that surprising when you consider moving to college or junior hockey is a step up. In structural terms I guess it's the equivalent in stature (allowing, of course, for the higher status and professionalisation of hockey in N America and the NHL farm team strucure) to NIHL2

Ocko

A few reasons why it’s so low; travel costs are huge and account for a lot of team’s budget. ECHL teams and minor league teams below AHL (UHL, CHL and IHL leagues all now defunct) have a pretty bad history with going bust so the league try to mitigate that by keeping their outgoings modest. They are also often based in towns with little hockey interest so unless they are winning regularly they can find themselves with half the fan base in little time.

osh

I’ve already stated I think It doubtful we will have a 20/21 season, especially as distancing rules differ between the 4 respective competing countries. Having said that, if it is a very shortened season, I can see our organisation coping with Piggott, Franny and Kelman sorting things out with possibly a senior player also helping out for such a season.

JC23

I’ve already stated I think It doubtful we will have a 20/21 season, especially as distancing rules differ between the 4 respective competing countries. Having said that, if it is a very shortened season, I can see our organisation coping with Piggott, Franny and Kelman sorting things out with possibly a senior player also helping out for such a season.
Piggsie isn’t gonna be here next season.

From what I can gather, he’s taken a job in Switzerland away from hockey to do with his doctor role.