New coach: who should it be?

kingmo19.1

My take on it was 50% of the team came for CHL and switched off for most of the remaining season and the other 50% felt it was a reminder on just how crap they are at hockey. Sorry, but we just can’t compete & in the ego driven world of professional sports being the team that always fails isn’t a great place to be. Itll be interesting to see if that is the reason behind the poor performances after the CHL running up to Christmas, hopefully next season the team will be pumped to play every game and make every game count.
Definition of Devils success in Mazzoaks eyes:-
League…. P. W. D. L. GF. GA. PTS
1. Devils. 54. 54. 0. 0. 800. 0. 108

Champions Hockey League winners without conceding a goal.

Challenge cup won without conceding a goal.

Playoff win without conceding a goal.

First line = all star complete first line.
Second line = all star complete second line.

Had Lordo coached the above he would be deemed a miserable failure !!!!!!!! :)

jenks33

Personally I don’t mind a season without any CHL games for the Devils. I fully get why some people will disagree with me as there are plenty of positives that go with the CHL but with another new coach it will give us a bit longer to prepare for the regular season without any distractions. I wouldn’t want to go 2 or 3 seasons without CHL games but I can’t say I’m too disappointed that we won’t be in it next season.

Kevin roog

Won’t miss CHL myself , I get more excited when a big game against steelers or giants is looming, let’s build a team that can compete in Scotland before we start smashing teams in Sweden

Wannabe2

We all want to see our beloved team more, 80 games would suit me as a punter, and a off season of 2 months would do thank you. But it’s the domestic games for me, that rivalry, those players you dislike, a scrap now and then, and the Nth American game, just my take on it.

Kevin roog

Just checking , Belfast are on 81 per cent , that’s a big total, not sure if skalde ever got his head around how many points we’re needed to win this league, it’s great beating Belfast as we all know, buts it’s only 2 points, same as you get away to Dundee on a Wednesday

august04 2.0

The CHL was hard enough pre-pandemic when the EIHL was of a much higher standard. This year it was just very difficult to compete and was embarrassing at times, particularly against Manheim - and in years gone by you’d have thought we’d have half a chance against some DEL teams.
I can’t say I’ll miss it too much next year and hopefully the next time we're in it, our roster will be much stronger.

moggy#9

The CHL was hard enough pre-pandemic when the EIHL was of a much higher standard. This year it was just very difficult to compete and was embarrassing at times, particularly against Manheim - and in years gone by you’d have thought we’d have half a chance against some DEL teams.
I can’t say I’ll miss it too much next year and hopefully the next time we're in it, our roster will be much stronger.
Well, having a 19 man roster which was then further depleted due to covid really didn't help us. Frankly the league first enough to make itself a laughing stock without having to contend with that.

Wannabe2

Just checking , Belfast are on 81 per cent , that’s a big total, not sure if skalde ever got his head around how many points we’re needed to win this league, it’s great beating Belfast as we all know, buts it’s only 2 points, same as you get away to Dundee on a Wednesday
Except it stops Belfast getting two points.

If the team is winning we are all happy.

If the next head coach is Dupont we will get behind him.

I didn't really give Skalde a chance to be honest as everyone kept comparing him to Lord.

I certainly will not be doing that toour new head coach.

Finny

I loved the CHL. Being able to see some of the best players in Europe not just in person but take on my own team was something I couldn’t have imagined a couple of years beforehand. The heavy losses were nothing that got me too down but every one of those victories was something very, very special.

And i have to admit that seeing the CHL tweet about Belfast qualifying did make me jealous. But I guess it is time to give someone else a go.

With regards the CHL being a recruitment tool, I’m not sure it was in the sense of “join us and you play 6 CHL games”.
What the CHL did do though was get the Cardiff Devils name out there. Players in those top European leagues will have taken note of the CHL and heard our name.
When they look for options in the future and consider other leagues, they’ll be aware of who we are, what we are capable of and hopefully be more inclined to consider us.

Wannabe2

Well Belfast haven't had that CHL attraction for awhile and it never stopped them winning trophies, Steelers ain’t been there for a long time and it never stopped them being a top team. It’s not a huge signing tool, money and winning silverware is what players want.

terry hunt

Pete Russell is interesting.I thought of him for the job but he failed to make real impact in the UK.
The curious thing to me is his undoubted success in the Worlds with GB.
Is it due to the coaches mix with him as head.The coaching team seems to work surprisingly well.I wouldnt have thought that Keefe and Neilson as assistants would work but they seem to gel effectly.

Mazzoak

I’ll be fully supporting Belfast in the CHL with fingers crossed they get further than we did. I’m not being disrespectful to us, every team that goes into the CHL needs to go better than the previous, that way British Ice Hockey can gain a better reputation year on year. If we continue sending different clubs and don’t progress we will continue to be tolerated without respect.

ASHIPP

.....except in our case this season, we struggled to regularly get 2 points anywhere on a Wednesday!

Hedd Wyn John

Thread starter #118
Yes, British hockey. A half dozen meaningless games each against Coventry and Guildford by about the end of October. How thrilling. Forgive me for wanting to see us pit ourselves against the best in Europe.
As much as I want the Devils in the CHL we simply don't deserve to be there based on this seasons performance.

Heres to a strong season next year which will get us back in the CHL for the following season.

Swarley

As much as I want the Devils in the CHL we simply don't deserve to be there based on this seasons performance.

Heres to a strong season next year which will get us back in the CHL for the following season.
I honestly think a season without the CHL will do the club some good, it'll give the new coach and new players a proper run at the league with the aim being to get that CHL invite for the following season.

Pembo

Pete Russell is interesting.I thought of him for the job but he failed to make real impact in the UK.
The curious thing to me is his undoubted success in the Worlds with GB.
Is it due to the coaches mix with him as head.The coaching team seems to work surprisingly well.I wouldnt have thought that Keefe and Neilson as assistants would work but they seem to gel effectly.
When there have been threads about Team GB recently I’m sure some posters have alluded to Batch not getting a proper look in for GB because of some previous personality clash, so not sure if that could be awkward? Always tricky to know how informed those sort of posts are on here though!!