New coach: who should it be?

ASHIPP

Pete Russell anyone???
No thanks. Wishy washy style. We need a balance of grit, excellent work ethic, skill and passion.
Keefe and Neilson have managed to instill that into Team GB in training sessions in their roles as Assistant coaches. Russell was a coach pretty much in name only by the end...he had his eye on a European club coaching job.

Hockeymad

Guys you do realise there are thousands on managers out there in the hockey world.

Someone please tell me what thommo Russell Christiansen Wallace and pacha will bring to this devils team.

None of those blow me away if anything they will take the team backwards.

Stop bringing up dead wood and let’s find someone better than those names.

Kevlar68

Agreed, fresh blood, fresh outlook, European leagues experience preferred.
I can see where people are coming from though as they all know the British league.

Devil94

In recent history though, how many 'big names' outsiders have made a real impact in the league? More often than not it doesn't work out.

Kevlar68

Doesn't have to be a big name, it could be a coach we have no knowledge of or overlooked. The Devils Org will know and be looking at so many more coaches than we know.
Did anyone guess Skalde after Lord?

Last edited:

Devil94

Doesn't have to be a big name, it could be a coach we have no knowledge of or overlooked. The Devils Org will know and be looking at so many more coaches than we know.
Did anyone guess Skalde after Lord?
By big name I meant someone who has coached in much higher leagues than this one, like Skalde.

Earnie

Well at least this time we will not have any CHL to contend with - which in my my view is a good thing. Don’t get me wrong , I love CHL but let’s have a break.

moggy#9

Well at least this time we will not have any CHL to contend with - which in my my view is a good thing. Don’t get me wrong , I love CHL but let’s have a break.
Apart from the fact that the CHL has acted as a recruitment tool for both players and, possibly, sponsors. I'd hoped that we'd at least make it to the continental cup, but I can't see that at the moment.

Wannabe2

Myself I am glad it’s gone away for next season, it’s okay to watch but it’s more games for the lads, it’s all about British hockey for me, the rest is a interference we could do without.

moggy#9

Myself I am glad it’s gone away for next season, it’s okay to watch but it’s more games for the lads, it’s all about British hockey for me, the rest is a interference we could do without.
Yes, British hockey. A half dozen meaningless games each against Coventry and Guildford by about the end of October. How thrilling. Forgive me for wanting to see us pit ourselves against the best in Europe.

Mazzoak

My take on it was 50% of the team came for CHL and switched off for most of the remaining season and the other 50% felt it was a reminder on just how crap they are at hockey. Sorry, but we just can’t compete & in the ego driven world of professional sports being the team that always fails isn’t a great place to be. Itll be interesting to see if that is the reason behind the poor performances after the CHL running up to Christmas, hopefully next season the team will be pumped to play every game and make every game count.

kingmo19.1

Champions Hockey League ….. meh!

Does that really help with recruitment ?
Let’s take a look:-

Club: Hey, good North American based player, come and play for us, we’re in the Champions Hockey League.

Player: Never heard of it.

Club: Oh it’s fab, best thing since sliced bread. You’ll love it!

Reality: We play 6 games against teams much better than us, get our arses handed to us on a plate and win the odd meaningless dead rubber when the opposition have normally already qualified therefore play a weak roster or we squeeze a win against a low seeded team!

Player: Ah I think I’ll pass on that as another club are offering me £20 a week more!