New Bay Arena?

From someone who knows nothing about nothing...

...what are the chances of Matt and/or a couple of business buddies building their own rink in say Caerphilly (just outside Cardiff) or Newport (LG have some ground to sell off don't they?). Granted we mayhave to lose Cardiff from our name but 'The Devils' might be a classy step to take.

no74 said:

...what are the chances of Matt and/or a couple of business buddies building their own rink in say Caerphilly (just outside Cardiff)
On the Park opposite my house!!! :lol: :lol:

Yeah! sounds good to me.

Gazza272

no74 said:

...what are the chances of Matt and/or a couple of business buddies building their own rink in say Caerphilly (just outside Cardiff) or Newport (LG have some ground to sell off don't they?). Granted we mayhave to lose Cardiff from our name but 'The Devils' might be a classy step to take.
I think i read somewhere at the beginning of matt's takeover that he was thinking of taking the tent when the new Arena was built and putting it in the valleys somewhere.

Or maybe i imagined that :lol:

My point was that we wouldn't have to consider the agenda of CCC and could take better care of our own future. Maybe surrounding councils would be glad to accept us rather than see us as a burden? Even considering the option might make CCC think again when we come to negotiate with them. Even with HIM gone, we all know they can be 'slippery customers' (kept that clean).

Up to Mr Burge at the end of the day, I suppose.

Just a quick query, does anyone from the inferno forum know any of the names or contact details of the various consultants or Cardiff City Council departments that are supposed to be dealing with the continued development of the Cardiff Devils _ New Bay Arena and the International Sports Village?

I understand and fully appreciate that the construction of the New Bay Arena maybe some way off because of the current “credit crunch” but somebody, somewhere must be working on it?
And I would like to contact them because I am currently unemployed and I am looking for work in the design, construction and management of sports facilities, stadiums and arenas..

Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated..

Andrew

Koop11

Whilst we are all aware of the funding gap for Phase Two of the ISV, which includes our new home, today’s news highlights the likely futhers delays with the report on the Bay Pointe Towers not going ahead.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/cardi ... -22516466/

With the economy and housing market in its current state, this project was always going to struggle to get off the ground. Unfortunately for the permanent home, this, IMO, cements further the fact that we’ll be playing for a long time in our temporary tent.

Russky

er no!

As Koop correctly said, at the moment we dont have the financial muscle to sustain an existance out of a large arena like the NIC, Odyssey or dare I say Hallam Arena!

I think we should hold on to what we have and build a Challenge Cup, Playoff and championship winning team! I believe we have the nucleus of such a team! Lets build on that for now!

Thread starter #34
The ISV is now dead with this news. I think we can survive down there in our current sized rink but to build a full size arena down there now would be a complete disaster. Any public transport that may once have been planned will now surely be dropped by the council and the place will now become (if it isn't already!) an out of town soulless shopping area. We need to get the new arena built in town (preferably where the current CIA is now) or I seriously fear for our future.

Chris

Administrator
Well you're an idiot then.

Crowds are up an average of 400 per game, why exactly would we lose all support down the bay?

Chris.

Thread starter #36
Chris Stone said:
Well you're an idiot then.

Crowds are up an average of 400 per game, why exactly would we lose all support down the bay?

Chris.
I don't care if this is your forum or anyone else's, I won't put up with being called an idiot. I was merely making an observation and if you disagree with that at least show the intellect to do it without resorting to 10 year old name calling.

Back to the arena discussion. When we had a home in town our last season's attendance there was 1,839 - a figure we've only been able to get close to on a few occassions in 3 seasons that we've been down the bay. It's clearly not been a success story and I'll tell you EXACLTY why:

- poor public transport links.
- no general public awareness of where our rink is.
- no on-foot customers.
- loss of invaluable free advertising from a city centre location.
- requirement of customers having to drive to the bay.

Bay Pointe was supposed to be the project that really propelled the ISV upwards (i.e. Wales' tallest buildings etc with thousands of new residents). Now, what is going to be there? A few emtpy apartment blocks, a few shops and a pool - hardly a big draw is it? To say that our attandance figure has risen by 400 is hardly spectacular (whilst it is still good news). To have any hope of making a new arena viable down the bay we need to at least be selling out our current home.

Don't get me wrong, I havn't done a 180 on us getting an arena. However, with this latest news I think the ISV would be last place we should be looking to have one built.

Gazza272

El Supremo said:
To say that our attandance figure has risen by 400 is hardly spectacular (whilst it is still good news). .

Why isnt spectacular?

people have far less disposible income, business are going bust right left and centre around the country and the whole nation is in a recession, yet we have substantial growth.

Why do you care about attendances so much? Can't you just go and enjoy the hockey? Leave the management worry about the off ice stuff, and be grateful that we actually have a rink! Who actually sells out every game? No one, not even premiership football clubs. A few teams in the UK perhaps in the most high profile sports. How often did we sell out the WNIR? And that was in the centre of Cardiff, it certainly wasn't every game.

Thread starter #39
Merthyr Devil said:
Why do you care about attendances so much? Can't you just go and enjoy the hockey? Leave the management worry about the off ice stuff, and be grateful that we actually have a rink! Who actually sells out every game? No one, not even premiership football clubs. A few teams in the UK perhaps in the most high profile sports. How often did we sell out the WNIR? And that was in the centre of Cardiff, it certainly wasn't every game.
I should have said that our attendances were high in town even under the previous management. If we had the new management team there I'm sure we would have been looking at quite a few sell outs.

Regarding your comments about simply being able to enjoy the hockey - sure I'd love to be able to do that. However, you have to remember that we're playing in a temporary building with a shelf life of about 5 years (3 of which have already past). I do enjoy the hockey but I'd be able to enjoy it more if I knew that our team definately had a future (and I now think that the only place that can happen is in town).

Having said all of that, I have every faith in our management team and I'm sure whatever happens they'll do their best to ensure that we have a successful future.

Kipper

There is absoluetly no chance of getting a rink/arena back in the city centre.Real estate is too valuable in the city centre which is why the Council are desperate to build a new arena in the ISV so that the CIA can be demolished.If I remember correctly Live Nation, the CIA operators have already been awarded the operating rights to the new Arena when it is built.It was encouraging to see Nigel Howells the Council's cabinet member responsible for sport at the game tonight.

El, I am amazed you get so hung up about the location.The number of recreational skaters using the tent is huge maybe even bigger than at the WNIR.I also understand that the Cardiff rink has the largest turnover in the Planet Ice group.

Public transport links are fine.Buses visit the rink very frequently.Users of the new pool don't seem to have a problem accessing the facility.