New 22/23 roster size

Pondlife

Thread starter #1
Following agreement among the Premier Sports Elite League's ten member teams, the gameday roster will be increased for the next season.

In the 2022/23 season, the gameday roster size will be set as follows:

Maximum number of players (goalies + skaters): 20
Maximum number of non-homegrown players: 14
The maximum number of non-homegrown players that can be signed in a single season, excluding injury reserve, remains at 20.

https://www.eliteleague.co.uk/article/2406-gameday-roster-size-increased-to-20

moggy#9

This at least means that teams can ice 4 full forward lines. Also, because this is about game day strength, we can carry a spare import.

I'd prefer that game day limit to be 22, to ice 4 full lines.

august04 2.0

It’s a step in the right direction and allows 4 full forward lines and 6 D, but I think the regulations around injuries/de-registering players will be more telling, when they release that info. Interesting that the press release says a 20 player game day roster size which I have no problem with. It would be nice if teams were allowed to carry a spare though, for injury cover, if they can afford it. Enough of this ridiculous salary cap, if a certain team blatantly ignores it without any punishment.

pjj365

Following agreement among the Premier Sports Elite League's ten member teams, the gameday roster will be increased for the next season.

In the 2022/23 season, the gameday roster size will be set as follows:

Maximum number of players (goalies + skaters): 20
Maximum number of non-homegrown players: 14
The maximum number of non-homegrown players that can be signed in a single season, excluding injury reserve, remains at 20.

https://www.eliteleague.co.uk/article/2406-gameday-roster-size-increased-to-20
Does the 25 and under Brit rule still apply? If so that's 50% of the Brit roster for each club - must be some opportunities there is this is the case

Wannabe2

Hopefully a step in keeping to a level playing field, and affordable to most clubs, would hate to see 3/4 teams with a 25 player bench, and 6/7 teams with a 20 player bench, yes the quality will be different but it hopefully helps financial wise. This league can’t afford to lose teams thru financial pressure, there will always be the haves and the have nots, but it’s a good decision for me.

OJLloyd

The bench size rule is the norm in the NHL, with a 23 man squad (which must include 3 goalies, I believe) but a 20 man dressed list.

Some European leagues allow 22 men on the bench, or an extra D etc but I think the 20 man dressed list is right.

Hopefully the rest of the squad is limited to 22 or 23 to allow for injury cover without bringing someone entirely new into the squad. Perhaps up to 3 reserves, with one being a goalie and at least one being a Brit would be an idea?

rocketbob

Having a player like when we had Mosey or Culligan able to switch between D and forward would be very valuable with these limits.

Last edited:

moggy#9

The bench size rule is the norm in the NHL, with a 23 man squad (which must include 3 goalies, I believe) but a 20 man dressed list.

Some European leagues allow 22 men on the bench, or an extra D etc but I think the 20 man dressed list is right.

Hopefully the rest of the squad is limited to 22 or 23 to allow for injury cover without bringing someone entirely new into the squad. Perhaps up to 3 reserves, with one being a goalie and at least one being a Brit would be an idea?
I wouldn't necessarily get fixated on what other leagues do. The aims should be to provide as many opportunities for young Brits as possible, and to increase the pace of the league as much as possible. If teams play with short benches the game gets slower and slower. Rather than talking about a maximum match night bench size, we should be talking about a minimum.

OJLloyd

I wouldn't necessarily get fixated on what other leagues do. The aims should be to provide as many opportunities for young Brits as possible, and to increase the pace of the league as much as possible. If teams play with short benches the game gets slower and slower. Rather than talking about a maximum match night bench size, we should be talking about a minimum.
Why the Brits? As much as I enjoy watching GB, I would be content with watching all imports if it meant success for the Devils.

But I totally agree on the minimum bench size. A minimum of 16 skaters would be best.

moggy#9

Why the Brits? As much as I enjoy watching GB, I would be content with watching all imports if it meant success for the Devils.

But I totally agree on the minimum bench size. A minimum of 16 skaters would be best.
The long term success of hockey in the UK ultimately relies upon us producing a high standard of players domestically. While I was a massive fan of the isl, for the national team we were dependent upon a generation of reclassified imports.