My Turn - the premiere

Paul Sullivan

Thread starter #1
Not strictly Devils hockey but I hope the Mods don't mind this being posted here.

The Devils are proudly hosting the UK Premiere of the documentary film made about Scott Matzka, and his 'My Turn' campaign. A significant amount of shooting took place over the few days of the Matchka events, so Cardiff features heavily (as you can see from the trailer in the article below).

Please, if you can, come along for this on July 20th. Catie, Scott's wife will be there, and whilst I can't promise a dust-free evening, from the footage I have so far seen, you won't want to miss this.

FULL INFO HERE

Paul Sullivan

Thread starter #4
Thanks Gaz, that's very generous. Also, thanks to the Mods for pinning, that's very much appreciated.

Spoke to Franny earlier and Catie and Scott are so totally pumped for this, and Catie can't wait to see her Cardiff friends again. We know the Red Army will do Scotty proud once again, thanks all.

BostonBart22

Just a thought why are tickets only available on line, A lot of people may not have facilities or may not want to buy tickets online for certain reasons, could make more money on the day of the event, a walk up price of say 12.00 cash only...thoughts anyone..?

Paul Sullivan

Thread starter #7
Just a thought why are tickets only available on line, A lot of people may not have facilities or may not want to buy tickets online for certain reasons, could make more money on the day of the event, a walk up price of say 12.00 cash only...thoughts anyone..?
Not everyone is online, that's true and is a very good point. The premiere is mostly being promoted online though, so that is the target market. We are hoping that word of mouth will also spread the news to our offline friends. I'll be honest, I don't know what on the door options will be in place, but I'm hopeful we won't turn away anyone who has cash in hand and hasn't bought online :)

pjj365

It always bugs me that no consideration is given to those fans who are not on-line

In this case even if you are on-line but not on Twitter or FB then you will know about this only from monitoring the Devils website which may not be that frequent during the off season

This is too important to restrict the audience (which may extend beyond the hockey fraternity) so I would go one step further and get some sort of off-line publicity (local press, radio, TV) with, as you say, cash purchase possible

Paul Sullivan

Thread starter #10
Sorry you will miss this Boz. At present we only have plans for this showing, but that could change. I don't know what the distribution / licensing situation is regarding DVD / Blu-ray availability, but if either of those additional routes are a possibility then I know Franny, Corky and I would love to spread the message as widely as possible for the Matzkas.

kettdevil1

Once it has premiered and done whatever rounds it needs to, maybe Icetime TV could arrange something with the Matzkas and offer a pay per view which you could advertise through the Devils media etc?
If possible that would be a great idea. It would be tricky for me to get to Cardiff but would certainly like to contribute.

Ocko

Bought my tickets yesterday. Even bringing along my Mrs who doesn’t even watch hockey.

This really needs to be supported better. Less than 5% of our fan base have got tickets for this so far, which isn’t fantastic considering we think we’re the best fans in the league. Let’s get behind Scott and his family.

Bought my tickets yesterday. Even bringing along my Mrs who doesn’t even watch hockey.

This really needs to be supported better. Less than 5% of our fan base have got tickets for this so far, which isn’t fantastic considering we think we’re the best fans in the league. Let’s get behind Scott and his family.
That's not really a fair thing to say, me and my partner are still trying to decide if we are going, we really want to and support Scott and the charity but we have to find £250 for us and our daughters pre season/CHL tickets by the end of this month and that's on top of the £1000 we're paying for season tickets so it's not as simple as being "the best fans in the league", it's about finding the spare cash to pay for all this stuff

Gough60

Does anyone have an idea how many tickets been sold? Family night out for us (4).
Would hope that the bar would be to small to accommodate those who are supporting this premiere.

pjj365

Look at the poor support for summer school holliday games (and this is the first weekend of those holidays) and this should not be a surprise - a disappointment yes but who knows what the night will bring

If it moves to bar let's hope walk up numbers can be accommodated - but it looks like the arena will be too big whatever

august04

That's not really a fair thing to say, me and my partner are still trying to decide if we are going, we really want to and support Scott and the charity but we have to find £250 for us and our daughters pre season/CHL tickets by the end of this month and that's on top of the £1000 we're paying for season tickets so it's not as simple as being "the best fans in the league", it's about finding the spare cash to pay for all this stuff
Absolutely agree and the original comment was a little unnecessary given the fact that 2000 people have already attended the benefit game, bought t-shirts, hoodies, programs etc to raise money for Scott and his family. I think Cardiff fans have supported Scott very well actually.
As has also been alluded to, is anyone really surprised by the poor take up of tickets, slap bang in the middle of the summer, right at the start of the school holiday period when people are heading away for their vacations? The timing couldn’t have been worse. If it had been delayed by 2 months, when the hockey season is up and running and people can be drip fed reminders at games beforehand, then I’m sure we’d be seeing a different outcome. The summer holidays are an expensive time for families who have just bought season tickets, face a hefty upgrade for pre-season and CHL games, never mind the cost of keeping kids occupied and entertained throughout their time off. It all adds up unfortunately.

Last edited: