Music

Gough60

Did like it in the WNIR when the away team took to the ice, the DJ would play something appropriate to their name or current situation.
Pink panther theme for Nottingham etc. But the best was when Newcastle Vipers were having financial problems, they came on to the ice too Money, Money, Money by ABBA. The players were smiling and laughing as the pointed to the PA.

Diafol

The only gripe I have is still having Jonathan Fearnley shouting "THE CARDIFF DEVILS ARE CHAMPIONS" at the end of the intro.
We haven't been champions for a few years.

Yes, I believe if the 19/20 season hadn't ended early things would be different, but much like the Steelers "We are Number 1" chant it makes me cringe every time I hear it.

Pembo

I was recently self isolating due to COVID and (while in a febrile state) used the money saved by not travelling to IAW from Pembs for home games to hire an American session singer online to sing some melodies for me (as I can’t sing!). I work in healthcare so these days haven’t had much time to do music but being hostage to COVID gave me a good opportunity and really I wanted to do something positive for the club & players who have been and continue to be a great source of enjoyment for me and the family outside work.

I’ve got two short tracks one is about BR and JC and the other CS & TC so far and am working on a couple more but lack of time may defeat me before season end. I’ve kept both to sub 2 minutes to make sure they don’t outstay their welcome if they were going to be used on gameday.

What’s the best way of getting them to the right person? I can send mp3 or .wav. There’s no pressure to use them but I thought Brodie Reid’s kids might enjoy the one about him.

Thanks if anyone has any ideas, I’ve had no luck getting any response when I’ve tried to email info@cardiffdevils.com last week about this, I know I’ve fallen foul of spam filters previously when I responded to message from KW about a Raffall win last year.

Was so fun to get back to watching hockey again at the weekend with my kid (along with all our new shiny antibodies). Seemed pretty good crowd response to all the music as well.

pjj365

The music played around the world (certainly Europe) is not much different to the selection played at IAW
That's not to say change won't work though but to what I don't know

Kevlar68

Earlier in this topic i mentioned I used to play the warm up, intro and incidental music at the WNIR from 96-98 as well as manage the hospitality.
You can't change the music as a whole, it's all about the song selection as the years go on but hockey fans grow up with what they're played so the music can stand still if the songs are right.
Just a example. They go to your first ever game, they hear "We will rock you" (not everyone will know of this song that's the reality) they see the fans join in. The next game, they hear the song again, they know the song. The next game they hear the song again, they know the song, they join in with the song and so on and so on.
So music in an environment like the IAW can be timeless but it all depends if the song is a good or bad choice.
When we went to Calgary Flames games in March 2020 they were playing The Glitter Band - Rock n Roll part 2 from 1972........ 1972! A song 48 years old.
There are a couple of dodgy ones in there at the moment, instrumentals, i don't know what the songs are but they seem to get no response, they just seem to be there as they a more present day songs to appease the younger fan but they create no atmosphere whatsoever.
Sully I have to say does an amazing job and it is more difficult to get more present day songs that are suitable for a hockey game as all are "Woh is me" or "he's a twat, glad he's gone" or "Shake your tits while I have a shit", you get the idea.
The songs from the past era's always at some point had bands with songs in the charts that were anthems and angry but pumping, even dance tunes were aggressive, just look at The Prodigy, Underworld or Shamen, shouting, thumping bass tunes.
I don't envy Sully choosing from the present day charts for songs, he might get 2 in 12 months of charts, none of those songs will be played at hockey games in 2 years time let alone 35 years time. :D

Last edited:
Noticed that ‘Thunderstruck’ was played during the warm up both games this weekend. Seems like it hasn’t been for a while? It was released when I was 4 years old and is not a genre that I usually listen to but I will always associate it with the sound of pucks banging off the plexi during warm up…and long may that continue!

Kevlar68

And that was the first song I used to play as the teams came on to the ice for warm up in 1996 followed by "Smells like teen spirit" , heavy puck smashing tunes, build up that aggression.
Don't think Adele, Dua Lipa or Harry Styles would do the same job if i'm honest.

kingmo19.1

Not having a pop at anyone but the music has been rather stale for a while now.

I presume Sully does the work voluntarily so nobody can complain as I guess it takes some time to put things in place. If so, maybe the club needs to invest a few ££ to keep things fresh(er)?

Newbies will likely enjoy the entertainment but if you’ve been going for a while it does get a bit repetitive.

Mazzoak

The music reminds me of a dodgy wedding DJ running the Decs in the 90’s. I guess it’s down to budget and expectations. Pretty sure a professional DJ with a proper speaker set up for an ice rink, yes they do exist & can give amazing sound quality would dramatically increase fans enjoyment. Problem though, spending £100,000 on sound system and another £1000 a week on a pro DJ isn’t going to increase fan attendances, if it’s not bringing additional revenue, it’s not viable at Cardiff as there is enough returnees willing to put up with the current quality.....

Kevlar68

I'm sure money isn't an issue as you just pay for a music and entertainment licence. If anyone is bothered (which I never was) you can see what songs are allowed to be played for the price of your licence, it includes almost anything but there are hundreds of thousands. That's why public music licence cost so much and price is dictated by capacity.
Pro DJ means nothing in reality, you can be a superstar DJ but if the tracks are wrong they're just as good as a mobile DJ, after all they're only 20 second bursts of song so why bother with a pro DJ?
Sound system def needs a upgrade though I agree but at the moment that would be towards the bottom of my to do list.

Last edited:
My personal opinion, Sully does an amazing job. Our intro and goal horn are the best in the league. Fits the Devils very well. Plus the timing of the goal horn from goal to face off is impeccable.
Keep up the good work Sully

E.D.S.

We need some sort of end of season 'forum post' awards - just nice ones.

Whilst there's some real angst sometimes over some daft posts, there's some absolute gold weaved in there. At the end of the day, it's just a forum. I come on here for a bit of fun and to immerse myself in all things Devils and to be that arm chair coach. Some posts lately have really cracked me up. That above from Kevlar, is brilliant and that legend of a fella who was still smashed at Belfast airport! Brlliant. Thanks folks

ASHIPP

There will always be crowd pleasers that fans love and they should be the backbone of match night music to keep fans engaged.. a bit of Queen, the Beatles, Tom Jones, AC/DC. Many NHL clubs mix it up and play the best of 'decade' music to evoke memories and get the crowd join in.. for instance 1960s/Motown night, 1970s rock, electro 1980s, indie anthems etc.
The locker room still get to pick their choices for warm up!

Paul Sullivan

Thanks all.
I always think the music at the games is a little like your favourite James Bond - depends on which one you grew up with, or saw first, or the most-formativ- era in-your-life Bond.
Kev's right - the current dross is multiplying and I try to keep the most current slots for pre-game, and intermissions. Been playing tracks from the 20 or so years of NHL game soundtracks these last few weeks, with of course the occasional homage to Meatloaf.
There is indeed an element of wedding DJ'ing to this job. And whilst the purists have valid points for their tastes, good for in your Beosound headphones at home and good for 3000 fans at sport is rarely the same. There' a reason why, complain as we all might, Abba, Dexys MR, Take that, S Club 7 and many more fill dance floors at functions and in commercial venues in city centres. The recent resurgence in 'Rasputin' in some of the most expensive and upmarket clubs as well as say Walkabout recently is a prime example of good is good, not when it was written is good.
Aside from a few real crowd pleasers I never play a track more than once a game - always hated the musical crutches used by some folk - and am always happy to hear new track suggestions and ideas. I've had a couple to get round to doing in the next week or so. Work has been relentless.
If we had £1000 a week spare I'd rather see it on the ice. As my now quite well known conversation with Lord once went in 2014:

'Sully - what really gets the crowd going?
Goals, Andrew.' :D