Music and atmosphere

mazza03

Thread starter #1
Now I may be in the minority here and due to my personal circumstances haven't been to many games, BUT as far as I'm concerned the intro lends nothing to gaining a good atmosphere it's a bit like a dirge, not the foot tapping hand clapping one we used to have, OK if you feel you have to change it at least get something that makes you want to go with it. The other thing that I think lets the atmosphere down is the choice of most of the music, jeez what's that all about? Talk about drab and miserable, the only time it lifted was when Paul played a few of the old songs.

Opinions please. :eek:

i love my music and i agree with you mazza. "Hell Yeah" is a good song in itself, but as an intro is definately not as good as the old entrance was. And some of the music in the break of play is defiately choice! I would have thought you need some upbeat ones to get people going but as you pointed out, some are drab and boring.

I personally enjoy the new intro and music, as has been mentioned if they now played the old intro it would sound poor in comparison. It may not be a clap along type of intro but I still enjoy it and think it works. Not all intro's in ice hockey are clap along style.
A lot of the music played throughout the game is supposed to relate to what happens during the game, which I think is pretty cool and its nice to have a bit of alternative to music instead of listening to the old ones all the time.
If the atmosphere is dull that's something we need to change and the music shouldn't influence that.

The guys are doing a good job and fully get my vote.

Season's gone by it was too regimented, you could almost predict what music was going to be played at what time 3 weeks in advance. At least now theres better variety, some may say aimed at bringing in a younger audience, buts thats a good thing.

Like all art forms it will always split the audience down the middle. But if I was to hazard a guess it would be more popular with the younger fans than the oldies :D .

I really enjoy the music played so far this season. Great to hear some new things and regarding the intro, it has grown on me and together with the video on the screens at the same time, I think it works really well.

davew

I can't find many people who actually like the new intro.

I know at least one respected fan who has broached the subject with Matt directly.

I made an effort to look around the rink when the music was playing yesterday and I would say that the majority were either chatting or getting themselves ready for the game, only a small portion seemed to be into it. That really says something to me......

I'm not as I have said previously, against change, but if changes are to be made they have to be an improvement on what they replace and this one is NOT an improvement, it is merely different.

Gazza272

For me the biggest thing about the old intro was its originality.

There was nothing else like it it was made purposfully for us and in that sense i guess it is timeless. The current intro through no fault of its own is going ot need changing in say 5 seasons (max!) due to its current tunes.

It's a really hard task to please all to get a 10 year old plus intro changed and for the new one to be instantly liked.

The one thing that does worry me is the thought that the intro was changed for change sake.

davew

Gazza272 said:
The one thing that does worry me is the thought that the intro was changed for change sake.
Just a thought that springs to mind...Is there any possibility that bob held a copyright on the mix, and would not license its use or sell it to Matt?

it was changed because Burge wanted to completely freshen the whole devils organisation as it wasn't working, I don't think that can be argued with. I honestly doubt he would have wanted that intro even if Bob offered it to him.

davew

nmase20 said:
it was changed because Burge wanted to completely freshen the whole devils organisation as it wasn't working, I don't think that can be argued with. I honestly doubt he would have wanted that intro even if Bob offered it to him.
If he wanted to freshen the organization, surely we would have seen many more new faces, people like shiney, poper even Paul have worked for/been involved with the club during it's dark days...that surely is not freshening the club's image is it?

Even Kelloggs and cadburys have bowed to pubic pressure any good business will recognise if an error has been made.

no because they wanted to completely change the image seen by the public, bringing in new faces in management would make little difference to that. And a lot of people will beg to differ with you about whether the intro is an error in their ways. I would hate it if they decided to go back to the old intro, it was great but it was over used and poor quality.

davew

nmase20 said:
it was great but it was over used and poor quality.
So if you know that it was great, you only need to extract its good elements, either by remastering the mix, or if you are so intent on change, come up with an intro that has equally good or BETTER elements., rather than trying to defend what really is not fit for purpose in the intro's present state.

Gazza272

davew said:
Gazza272 said:
Just a thought that springs to mind...Is there any possibility that bob held a copyright on the mix, and would not license its use or sell it to Matt?

mmmm i would assume who ever created the mix would have rights to it.

Sliput

The new one is ok but not as good as the old one...also i LOVe rock music played at hockey matches....sets everyone up , none of the namby pamby modern day stuff :x

Saw the intro for the first time on Saturday - I liked it and think the 'Hell Yeah' song is good enough for it...the only problem was, at the back of block 3 where I stood, I could hardly hear it. It was only because the graphics showed Hell Yeah and that I'd read on here somewhere that that was the song that I 'tuned into it'. Turn the music up, dude!

Thought the overall choice of songs was better than I remember but there's still room for improvement.

Think we should follow the lead of the boys at the back of block two to boost the atmosphere: 'You've only got a job 'cos Tyson signed for us' being one of their gems on the night.

Ok ive just come back from manchester and i will neva complain about the atmosphere or music at our tent.

Manchester was like a morgue, no noise at all they tried to get the crown going with a fat man dressed as a angel hitting a cow bell followed by a dead silence it was the most amusing thing i have eva seen the only thing more amusing was their what seemed to be half hour entrance with possibly the worst cheerleaders i have eva seen.

If you want to complain about our entrance go to manchester and think again!!
I think the new managment are doing a good job at it!!

Personally i much prefered the old version of the intro - i thought it helped build the tension & atmosphere a lot better than the current one. I do like the Hell Yeah song from the new one as the team come onto the ice but think the first couple minutes of the old one are much much better.

Does anyone have a link to the new intro so we can compare the two on decent speakers on our PC's? I have a link to the old one.

http://media.putfile.com/Cardiff-devils-Intro-NEW (it says new but its from last season :) )

James

Administrator
Bah, why did you have to go and post that. Hearing the old intro just re-enforces how lame the new one is. #sigh#

davew

spine tingling, emotive, inspirational and adrenalin pumping....

words that do not come to mind when i hear the present incarnation.