Mountfield HK vs Devils - 5 Sept 19 - CHL

Gazza272

Mountfield beat Frolunda last week, so there's no doubting their pedigree.

First goals are crucial away from home, we had a big chance when Duggan fed Myers to open the scoring, and if we had taken that, I think we would have created uncertainty and fed some nerves into the building, as it was we didn't capitalise and Mountfield got their goal which boosted their confidence which sent them on their way.

I'm glad we kept battling though, and we were much better against Graz then we were mountfield at home, so I'm hopeful the momentum we got from our finish can carry over.

Mountfield pressured us all over the place, especially in our d zone - they had us running around and out of position on many occasions. They were excellent in this aspect - forcing VERY long shifts - and we didn't help ourselves with the chipping out of the zone, especially in the long change 2nd. You can't blame the ice - as Mountfield's interchange and zone entries were slick. Our "not up to usual standards" passing was down to tiredness at the end of these long shifts, in a lot of cases.

The key to the game were the back to back PPs we had (think in the third before we conceded the SH goal), where we really could have changed the momentum of the game, but we couldn't seem to get sustained o-zone time, as the opposition were REALLY good with their sticks and picked their board battles really well. When they cleared their zone - they had plenty of time to change.

All in all - Mountfield were excellent, physical and took their chances. It happens. We had them rattled in the 2nd and 3rd periods of our home game with them. They did the same to us for the majority of this game.

jenks33

There were some factors that didn't help us; away from home, poor ice quality and some baffling reffing, but the devils didn't seem to be on their game in the way they were last weekend. Passes went astray or were too vague, players didn't know where their line mates were, and they seemed to be missing physicality. We were caught out with our coverage again and again. Yes, Mountfield are the better team, but I felt the result flattered them.
Agree with most of your post apart from the last sentence. I thought the score line flattered us to be honest. Our two goals came out of nowhere and they probably should have scored 6 or 7.

I think it's a bit harsh when people say that certain fans are being unrealistic to expect better than what we produced yesterday. I don't mean losing or the score line, I'm talking about performance. When I watch our CHL away games it's all about performance for me. Bottom line is we can play extremely well in this competition and still lose by 3 or 4 goals, that's why losing doesn't really bother me. I don't think that was the case yesterday though.

Just look at Lordo's interview at the end of the game. He looked very disappointed and even a bit angry. I don't think that was disappointment that we lost I think it was disappointment that we didn't really show up for about 50 minutes of that match. We showed a lack of energy and lost our composure for large periods.

I expect a reaction on Saturday. I don't mean I think we'll win ( As I've said we could play very well tomorrow night and still lose by a few goals) but I think we'll see a performance full of energy.

Rob Batch

The 1st period reminded me of our opening away game last year. We looked good in the o-zone but struggled to get there for a majority of the game. Start the next game the way we finished this one then we have a chance.

KaneDevils

Look at the post below you for example.
People saying poor ice poor passing we started slow etc etc. To me they are excuses.

Not one mention of mountfield being better than us
Until that post there wasnt many, if any excuses, as you put it. The ice had nothing to do with the defeat. Mountfield were playing on the same ice I believe? Nothing to do with the officials. The passing isnt an excuse. It was one of the factors. We started slow? Yes we did, again, that's not an excuse. Mountfield were better. I've said it and so have quite a few others. Not sure what you mean by "not one mention of them being better". I see several.

KaneDevils

There were some factors that didn't help us; away from home, poor ice quality and some baffling reffing, but the devils didn't seem to be on their game in the way they were last weekend. Passes went astray or were too vague, players didn't know where their line mates were, and they seemed to be missing physicality. We were caught out with our coverage again and again. Yes, Mountfield are the better team, but I felt the result flattered them.
I also disagree with the scoreline flattering them. Not at all. Also, we lacked physicality? Totally disagree with that. That's one thing we didn't lack. Several big hits and a couple of huge ones.

Mazzoak

You could say they are in a different league. We’ve evolved quality wise within the EIHL, for sure, we’ll see how that translates in the next few games. The fight back showed encouragement, though observing Lord, there didn’t seem much bench interaction through the early periods and we still cannot get 60 minutes of consistent effort, that’s been an issue for a few years now.