More players available?

James

Administrator
You'd hope that Brasso could persuade him running netties is bad, what with him being a Stanley Cup winning net-minder himself

Temme

Unfortunately we may need to employ an effective deterrent with current trends.Goodbye to Eurohockey
Sheffield are nothing close to the team they were last year - they have no tough guy.

5 fights for the entire season -
2 Lawrence (no longer there)
2 D.Phillips (injured - 6 weeks??)
1 Della Rovere - Ben Blood jumped him

With no legitimate tough guy and nobody willing to pick up the slack i don't think Armstrong will be up to last years tricks.

You'd hope that Brasso could persuade him running netties is bad, what with him being a Stanley Cup winning net-minder himself
He seems a classy guy, and you'd hope no coach tells his player to revert to tactics like that, but it could also go the complete opposite way, and the coach encouraging excessive pressure on Bowns especially with Matheson helping out knowing how 'successful' it was last year...

CaldicotDevil

Sheffield are nothing close to the team they were last year - they have no tough guy.

5 fights for the entire season -
2 Lawrence (no longer there)
2 D.Phillips (injured - 6 weeks??)
1 Della Rovere - Ben Blood jumped him

With no legitimate tough guy and nobody willing to pick up the slack i don't think Armstrong will be up to last years tricks.

He seems a classy guy, and you'd hope no coach tells his player to revert to tactics like that, but it could also go the complete opposite way, and the coach encouraging excessive pressure on Bowns especially with Matheson helping out knowing how 'successful' it was last year...
Wouldn't class him as a tough guy because of his size but Neiley is a right handful when he gets going. However give it a month and Fitzy will probably re-sign and Desbiens will come out of retirement.

pjj365

Todd said at last night Q&A that we were after Armstrong but Sheffield out bid us

Given Franny's asides about giving him a good kicking and burying him (or words to that effect) I don't know how serious this was.

They can be a pantomime double act at times

pjj365

I get the player spotting and I get the reading of the stats and conclusions drawn - it's fun after all

But surely the first question is why is someone leaving his current club with no immediate alternative. This is, surely, particularly important where a player is similar to an exiting Devil. Will he add to a multi-skilled roster (other than obvioulsy being a spare import) or will he detract from the balance on the ice or in the room?

Gazza272

I get the player spotting and I get the reading of the stats and conclusions drawn - it's fun after all

But surely the first question is why is someone leaving his current club with no immediate alternative. This is, surely, particularly important where a player is similar to an exiting Devil. Will he add to a multi-skilled roster (other than obvioulsy being a spare import) or will he detract from the balance on the ice or in the room?

There are always a plethora of reasons. Remember, we picked up fournier mid season when he left a team out of the blue. And it didn't work out too badly.

given Lord's ways of recruiting, I've never been worried about a guy coming into our room and being a disruption.

pjj365

There are always a plethora of reasons. Remember, we picked up fournier mid season when he left a team out of the blue. And it didn't work out too badly.

given Lord's ways of recruiting, I've never been worried about a guy coming into our room and being a disruption.
I would not disagree with you but I just think team dynamics on and off the ice are important remembering someone who is poor fit for one team may not be for another - like you I not ony trust Lordo we know from his interviews he place importance on this aspect of a player

The "first question" is one we fans can rarely, if ever, answer but I would still start from this end rather than just cold hard facts - if only we could!

Hockeymad

Anyone else think that lord won’t sign someone now? The devils seem to have found a way of winning and are back on track,

I wouldn’t upset the squad now and see what happens till the end of the year,,

Wannabe2

I really think if the right player became available, Lordo would sign him, but it would have to be a player who would make a difference. Games are coming quick and fast now, injuries will be a huge factor missing Haddad showed that, some other teams will still be looking to strengthen. We are a very good team, and are playing well, but extra competition for places never hurt anyone.

jimmy snels

yeah i reckon we wont either, lip service being given because faryna has gone imho to keep fans happy knowing we were looking for another player. its a lot of cash to get someone in and my suspicion is the money would at this stage be very reluctantly spent.

Gazza272

yeah i reckon we wont either, lip service being given because faryna has gone imho to keep fans happy knowing we were looking for another player. its a lot of cash to get someone in and my suspicion is the money would at this stage be very reluctantly spent.

Why do you think it be reluctantly spent given that we have made signings around this time of year in the past? Kearny being the most recent example?

CaldicotDevil

I think the moneys there.

Everyone talks about the CC semi final & the lack of conferencing having an affect on the budget. However we've got the Peacocks & Viola commercial deals, we've lost 4 players this year (Parisi, Blood, Faryna & Moore) and only signed 3 players (Duggan, Schiestel & Mosey) & we've got the compo from the Blood deal. So I still think there's cash left in the budget if needed.

However IMO I can't see us signing anyone unless we get a big injury. The top 9 have settle into regular lines. Defence is looking more solid now Schiestel has come in. If you were to add someone then you start rotating players and tinkering lines & pairings. Also our guys do finish the season well. Last two years ago Haddad and Ulmer have been unplayable after Christmas. Last 10 games last year Pope couldn't stop scoring.

kettdevil1

I think the key thing is that simply signing someone for the sake of signing someone is not a great move... it is about signing the right person.....

....my feeling is that there are very few players out there that we would be interested in. Looking round the league, I can’t think of any impact players signed recently? This seems to indicate a poor market

Just to confirm that in the Q&A on NYD, Todd answered this question directly (I steal a lot from the inferno to put directly to him!!) He stated that lack of progression in the CC would have no relevance to recruiting. The Devils are actively looking but it does indeed have to be the 'right' player.

Temme

I think the key thing is that simply signing someone for the sake of signing someone is not a great move... it is about signing the right person.....

....my feeling is that there are very few players out there that we would be interested in. Looking round the league, I can’t think of any impact players signed recently? This seems to indicate a poor market
Guillaume Doucet
Chris Higgins
John Armstrong

Is about as good as any signings have been since mid December, so i have to agree with you there, and all those guys are returners so hardly new guys tempted to the league.

The only one really is Dylan Richard to Nottingham at the end of November - he's been pretty decent

Gazza272

Guillaume Doucet
Chris Higgins
John Armstrong

Is about as good as any signings have been since mid December, so i have to agree with you there, and all those guys are returners so hardly new guys tempted to the league.

The only one really is Dylan Richard to Nottingham at the end of November - he's been pretty decent

We had agreed a deal with John Armstrong, only for the Steelers to up their offer to him significantly. This is from Todd at a recent Q&A

kettdevil1

Guillaume Doucet
Chris Higgins
John Armstrong

Would agree on Richard, solid (but not spectacular) addition to the Panthers but as for the rest, yes spot on, they are returners and we have been there done that with Douce, Higgins is class but made of glass and Gazza has covered the Armstrong situation....

It is a strange market but, I still hope there is a gem out there