Mike Brabon (Backup NM)

Thread starter #1
Taken off THF:

The fist signing is Mike Brabon from the Wightlink Raiders. Mike is a local lad who represented the Cardiff Devils Elite team for 4 years before moving onto the Solihull Barons in the EPL . Mike went on to spend the last 3 seasons in the EPL and joins us from the Wightlink Raiders. “Mike is a Great addition to our team and the most important signing we will make all summer. We have strengthened the most important position on the ice and I truly believe that we have got the best goalie in the league and it’s great to have him home” Mike will sign a 2 – Way contract with the Cardiff Devils Elite league team and provide cover for Steve Lyle should Stevie miss any games.

That's interesting, I wonder where Myers will end up

ASHIPP

scottydoesntknow said:
Taken off THF:

The fist signing is Mike Brabon from the Wightlink Raiders. Mike is a local lad who represented the Cardiff Devils Elite team for 4 years before moving onto the Solihull Barons in the EPL . Mike went on to spend the last 3 seasons in the EPL and joins us from the Wightlink Raiders. “Mike is a Great addition to our team and the most important signing we will make all summer. We have strengthened the most important position on the ice and I truly believe that we have got the best goalie in the league and it’s great to have him home” Mike will sign a 2 – Way contract with the Cardiff Devils Elite league team and provide cover for Steve Lyle should Stevie miss any games.

Joe might still be our backup nettie. It's possible that if Stevie is ever injured, Joe would take over temporarily as starting nettie and Mike would step in as his backup goalie. Think G is covering all his bases here - as do the Panthers, Steelers etc with 1 or 2 other guys they can call upon.

ASHIPP said:
scottydoesntknow said:
Taken off THF:

Joe might still be our backup nettie. It's possible that if Stevie is ever injured, Joe would take over temporarily as starting nettie and Mike would step in as his backup goalie. Think G is covering all his bases here - as do the Panthers, Steelers etc with 1 or 2 other guys they can call upon.

we have signed smith as our back up tho? so i dont think this would be the case.

Taken from James post of the live chat:

James said:
It's great to see Stevie Lyle back, but isn't that a risk? The signing is a really positive move as long as he stays fit because you can have 10 import skaters. If he does miss matches then who would go in goal? You could not bring in an import replacement.
1:07
Gerad Adams: PS The family are fine.
1:08
Gerad Adams: Hi Mike,
Please stay with me. We are going to announce our back-up goalie situation by the end of next week and I believe everybody will be happy with what is going to happen. We have Dozz (Dorian Smith) who will be one of three.
Injuries are always going to be a gamble and please don't say that word again.
Gerad mentions there will be 3 back up goalies my guesses that means we will have smith, brabon and myers.

scottydoesntknow said:
Exactly, with Smith and Brabon, I don't see a space available for Myers!
quote]

yeah i was reffering to ashipp's comment. the goalies we have got next year are: lyle,smith,brabs... why would we need another goalie? we wouldnt really.

ASHIPP

nmase20 said:
Taken from James post of the live chat:

James said:
It's great to see Stevie Lyle back, but isn't that a risk? The signing is a really positive move as long as he stays fit because you can have 10 import skaters. If he does miss matches then who would go in goal? You could not bring in an import replacement.
1:07
Gerad Adams: PS The family are fine.
1:08
Gerad Adams: Hi Mike,
Please stay with me. We are going to announce our back-up goalie situation by the end of next week and I believe everybody will be happy with what is going to happen. We have Dozz (Dorian Smith) who will be one of three.
Injuries are always going to be a gamble and please don't say that word again.
Gerad mentions there will be 3 back up goalies my guesses that means we will have smith, brabon and myers.
To be honest, that's the way I read G's comment as well - G was talking about the back-up goalie situation and Dorian being one of three. I also think the other one will be Myers. If Stevie is injured and Joe steps up, someone would have to stand in as his backup nettie if Mike (Brabon) is already commited to important ENL games. Look what happened when Phil Osaer was injured the season before last - Joe stepped up but at times we also had to borrow netties from other teams!

The way I see it is Myers and Smith to be backups to Lyle and should he get injured during a game which ever one is back up on the night to step in. They're also there for training etc. And then should Lyle get injured and be due to miss a few matches then Brabon can step in providing he doesn't have a game, with Myers or Smith to be his back up, as he's the one with experience and playing regularly.

I don't see the problem with three back ups, its more like two with the option of the 3rd should we need it. Neither Myers or Smith have that much experience so its probably best to have someone like Brabon from the EPL to fall back on should Lyle get injured.

Finny

I thought someone said that Myers would not be able to be back-up this season? Something to do with his job outside the sport?

ASHIPP

The more back-ups the better! :lol: Seriously though, I don't suppose it makes any difference whether it's 2 or 3 back-ups, as long as they do what it says on the tin and we have good cover if needed! Good move getting Mike on 2 way contract, a guy with a lot of experience and regular icetime. :D

TheStub

The more backups the better - and for me, Myers always looked more solid between the pipes than Barbs. *awaits slating"

For me, the interesting thing to get from this is the use of the ENL side as our "AHL" farm team. It is something that makes a lot of sense, and is something Shuff have been doing with the Scimitars for a few seasons now.

The best reserves are those who are getting regular ice time, and proving themselves.

Thread starter #13
I would call it more of our ECHL affiliate ;)
On the bit about Brabon between the pipes, I cannot judge because I have never seen him play.
So if you ever do get this 'slating', I hope you rest, knowing the fact that I didn't have a go :)

Gazza272

Brabon is far better than myers for my money. I think this move will benefit both the Devils and Brabon himself. He should get a start at which ever level he plays at.

Finny

At the risk of upsetting people - Brabon is a far far far better netminder then Myers. A quick glance at the other EIHL rosters so far suggests the only team with a better back up netminder than us is Belfast with Craze. Everyone else is miles behind.

Both Brabon and Craze are far too good to be permanent EIHL backup netminders. Brabs is now the more fortunate that he will be able to play regular competitive hockey whilst still on standby for the EIHL Devils.