Main Enforcer Role

voth26

Thread starter #1
Do you think the main enforcer role is going to land at voths skates!!,I know G has stated he wants team toughness and some of the guys signed seem to have that, but there has to be a main guy as such.
Any thoughts

Wannabe2

I dont think we will have a main enforcer as such, i think if something kicks of when the 1st line is out there then we will have Miller to step up, if its the 2nd then Voth will be there, and the 3rd then G or maybe the new guy, also Jarvis can step up if he has to. G has stated that he wants team toughness this year, and maybe thats what he has. His priority this coming season will be obviously trophies, we probably wont be the toughest team in the league, but we may be the toughest to catch, as the saying goes you cant hit what you cant see. ;)
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

osh

I don't really feel we need an out an out ' enforcer ' this season. As stated by others, looking at our line up, we have players who can handle whatever goes on during their line shift. Hopefully we will have learned from our previous mistakes of having to rely solely on Voth to sort out things. He spent a lot of time in the bin and we were very often punished accordingly. I'm also hoping that Jay will have learned lessons as to how to stay out of the bin for stupid penalties that do not need to be taken. I think that looking at our 3 lines, it will be our opponents who will be atking more penalties than us, especially having to try and contain a skilled 1st line such as we will have. Finally, it has to be said that I'm not the biggest fan of 'G', and whilst I have criticised him when I felt it right to do so, I also will praise him if I think he has deserved praise. I am pleased at his recruiting so far and hope the players will reward him with a great season !

ASHIPP

Totally agree. G wants speed and skill this year with team toughness. That's what he's recruited so far. There are several guys who could step up if needs be - but I don't think they will need to. Even Belfast and Hull who have recruited enforcer-type players don't have the luxury of bringing them on just to fight, like Sharp. They really can't afford to have these guys binned. It's speed, skill, creativity and a solid D that wins games and not compromising the team by too much time in the box.

In fairness, Voth26 is talking about the MAIN enforcer role. Ofcourse our team will have alot of team toughness, so we would be able to handle ourselves, but when it comes to mixing it with the heavyweights like McMorrow etc. I think Voth is the only guy on our team so far, who could take on these people.

I obviously dont know much about Miller and how good he is at fighting, but he isnt being employed to fight either.

voth26

Thread starter #7
scottydoesntknow said:
In fairness, Voth26 is talking about the MAIN enforcer role. Ofcourse our team will have alot of team toughness, so we would be able to handle ourselves, but when it comes to mixing it with the heavyweights like McMorrow etc. I think Voth is the only guy on our team so far, who could take on these people.

I obviously dont know much about Miller and how good he is at fighting, but he isnt being employed to fight either.
That was the point i was trying to make whilst we have team toughness, at the moment voth is the only heavyweight we have to take on the other heavies in the league, and possibly jarvis at a push if need be. If it is up to voth then we will see him in the bin more often if it's kicks off against another heavyweight.Voth had a lot of pm's last season and we/he could do with that not being the case this season!!

Steelers had a main enforcer last season and what a joke he was! However if you look at the rest of the team they had team toughness, skill and speed and look what that achieved. G seems to have gone for that this season with the team he has put together and I'm very happy about that.

ASHIPP

Yeah, but apart from McMorrow, what other 'heavyweights' does the Vother really have to worry about? He beat most of them last year! :lol: As far as we know McAllister hasn't signed anywhere yet :?
I really do think that we will not be seeing as many fights as some folks imagine. G has said he wants team toughness but has acknowledged several times in the off-season interviews that too much time was spent in the box (for majors and minors) last season and that compromised several of our matches. Belfast equally cannot afford to have McMorrow binned as he is a player as well as an enforcer-type. No team yet has the spare luxury of an Andrew Sharp!

I reilise that was a joke but...

You know, thats not a bad idea... as much as I dont like him, I think he would be a good addition to our squad (never thought Id say that)

1) He would take the other teams GOOD players out of the game.
2) He would provide the fight fans with, well... fights.
3) We could see him get battered live, instead of watching rubbish quality clips on youtube.
4) He wouldn't cost much.
5) He would put a few more "bums on seats"
6) He wouldnt take up an import slot.

Theres 6 reasons why I think we should sign him :lol:
Well... never thought Id be giving 6 reasons on why we would sign Andrew Sharp :lol:

Although, I do appreciate that hes not the best player out there ;)

scottydoesntknow said:

You know, thats not a bad idea... as much as I dont like him, I think he would be a good addition to our squad (never thought Id say that)

3) We could see him get battered live, instead of watching rubbish quality clips on youtube.

Well... never thought Id be giving 6 reasons on why we would sign Andrew Sharp :lol:

I dont believe what I'm reading. Sharp is scum, no more than a thug. His brand of aggression is not needed in any sport. In my opinion its as bad as eye gouging. (Lions reference) I'm all for a good punch up but Sharp in a Devils jersey.... I'll burn my season ticket ! Thats a promise. :x

Yeah I cant really believe I wrote it myself, but nevertheless thay are all valid points.
Still, he wont be in a devils jersey, but I would like him to stay in the league, as we have already lost a few "characters"

James

Administrator
I'd hope the Devils would have more class than to sign that waste of skin. Well actually no, I know the club has more class.
I'd hope any of the other teams in the league would have more sense too, but we will see.

scottydoesntknow said:

)
1) He can't skate to get to the other teams good players, never mind take them out of the game, most players would laugh at him. Also we could get any player to take a player out of the game, we could call up Phil Manny to fight if we needed someone like that.
2) I like fighting in hockey, but if your only turning up to watch a fight, then go to the boxing!
3) Why would we want to watch one of our players get battered? Don't need to watch the youtube clips either.
4) Paying him a penny would cost too much!
5) Highly unlikely, the day we signed Sharp would be the day I would consider cancelling my season ticket. And I'm sure it would turn away lots of other fans too.
6) Well thats true, even though I'm sure he was born somewhere else and brought up somewhere else, so thats a joke anyway (Might be wrong on that though). And again, we could get a proper Brit from the ENL team to do that if we wanted to go down that road, which I'm sure we don't.

Wannabe2

1. It would never happen, we would never stoop that low.
2. He,s a ****.
3. We would be better of signing LUCY FUR, she,s tougher, and can skate.
4. We couldnt afford all the shirts he would have ripped of his back.
5.Could never imagine Devils fans booing a home player.
6.We dont need the money he would have to pay us for ice time.

ASHIPP

TheStub said:
no74 said:
No team yet has the spare luxury of an Andrew Sharp!
Let's sign Sharp !! :lol:
Are we looking for smeone to carry water bottles?
Oh Stub - I didn't say we should sign him! The man is VERMIN. The point I made was that no team yet has signed a player who could fight, and not compromise his team too much by spending a lot of time in the box or off the ice.

I understand the reasons that have been given there for signing Sharp but if you were to ask me the question "would I like Sharp at the club?", my answer would be along the lines of "No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no"

If you want someone to put bums on seats, provide entertainment and purely have a scrap then I'd prefer Rushton/Payette (although that is by no means me saying that I want either of them to sign!)

Max

osh

scottydoesntknow said:

What a brave post ! All you have to do now is change your name to SCOTTYDOESNTKNOWANYTHINGABOUTICE HOCKEY !