Like a library

RedDevil17

Not sure what it is. Maybe the fact certain people are finding the style of hockey boring and/not getting the results we want. The pints have gone up in price this year so maybe that’s why there hasn’t been many sellouts! Block 10 was very loud last night and the crowd got going from the very beginning after that mosey hit. After 5-1 it went back to non physical hockey and the arena went back to pure silence. Whether it was because the game was over after the 1st period is one of the key factors probably.

Diablo3

Who’s noisier though, genuine question.
There are a huge number of families now, which is great, but it pushes the noise pitch more in the canine range of hearing ;)

I think the higher roof probably affects the volume. Our supporters at Coventry with a lower roof were deafening. I definitely like to be heard from block 1 as my lack of voice today will attest. If anyone has some new chants, I'm game.

Wagstaff

There seems to be a lot on the Blaze Facebook group about the away section being swamped with Devils fans so if they are separated you won’t get much going from them, plus at 5-1 down in the first there’s not much for us to chant about.
I’m told the atmosphere was better at our rink, but that was a closer game and you guys organise busses and book clumps of seats together plus your travelling fan base has always been quite big even in the old management days.
We also suffer from having a 3 syllable city and a one syllable team name and that is not good for chants.... so we generally have a library if the bloke with the big mouth doesn’t start a chant of let’s go Blaze or when the Blaze go skating in!

OJLloyd

Wagstaff - the game was very popular, and as much as I want as many Devils’ fans to be able to watch the team as possible, I think the fact that Cov fans weren’t given first bite at the tickets is disappointing. It’s a big rivalry and I’m sure there would have been more from you guys if we kept it as an away fans section only.

With regard to the noise I see quite a few factors. The first one being that the drummer reacts to the crowd instead of drives it. In Bern the drum didn’t stop unless a goal was scored (and then only for our goals), and it drove the crowd on, instead of waiting for someone to start something up.

Inhibitions being what they are the job of a drummer/megaphone wielding lunatic/crowd enthusiaser is to get the crowd going. Joining in when three people are chanting is difficult, joining when the noise is constant and you think you’ll get lost in it is a lot easier.

There is also the fact we don’t have as many fights. But hockey has moved away from that in general, due to the professionalism of the teams and the fact that we don’t need set play fights for excitement.

When they are organic they are much more exciting.

Regardless, I think a big old bass drum, and a drummer who leads the way, would make a big difference

The_Puck

As I’ve said for the past year, we need a standing section in block 4. We also need a guy who will start the chants to have a megaphone. We need all the loud fans to stand in that section and chant for 60 mins. Also, I’m having a go at any posters on here but people who are saying they will chant only if the team give them a reason to chant, that’s not the mentality we should have. Look at Cardiff City, the crowd chant from minute 1 to 90 minutes every game. We should be chanting for all the game. My thoughts only.

Wagstaff

Be careful what you wish for with drummers.
Just make sure your drummers can drum if you get them, ours are awful and I think we’re better off withot them they can’t keep time with a clock let alone a chant, they try and join in with the dead puck music too and to be honest... they aren’t Cozy Powell (showing my age now!)
I also suffer from tinnitus so prefer a library otherwise I get noises in my head for about 3 days.... this getting old is great !

CaldicotDevil

Not sure what it is. Maybe the fact certain people are finding the style of hockey boring and/not getting the results we want. The pints have gone up in price this year so maybe that’s why there hasn’t been many sellouts! Block 10 was very loud last night and the crowd got going from the very beginning after that mosey hit. After 5-1 it went back to non physical hockey and the arena went back to pure silence. Whether it was because the game was over after the 1st period is one of the key factors probably.
Hockey styles a tough one. I much prefer a physical style of hockey. IMO Bordy was a bit of a let down and didn’t really want to fight however to his credit his physical checking game and presence did really get the crowd going.

But you look at teams like the Storm and Braehead who play the most physical hockey in league. There crowd numbers have struggled this year because they’re not winning. Lower crowds naturally leads to a worse atmosphere.

The best atmosphere I’ve heard in the IAW was the second leg in the CC against Sheffield. The place was bouncing and the team responded. It’s shows that we’re capable of it. The clubs working hard on making the arena feel more like a home, the Viola deal has made a huge difference. Hopefully the Fan Council can sort some things out for the atmosphere next year.

Wagstaff

Hockey styles a tough one. I much prefer a physical style of hockey. IMO Bordy was a bit of a let down and didn’t really want to fight however to his credit his physical checking game and presence did really get the crowd going.
I always thought that some of Bordeleau’s hits were over the top, the idea of a hit is for it to be big enough to take a player off the play not out of the game, also when both players fall from a hit the advantage is lost so was pointless in the first place. When executed properly a hip check is my favourite. Just my opinion.

Thread starter #33
I'm actually amazed that people are saying we were noisy in Coventry- it was the first away game I've been too where in was honestly embarrassed by how quiet Devil's travelling fans where, and I wasn't the only one to observe this, and it was this that made me evaluate the noise at our own rink
I think posters who are saying about the new generation of fans are spot on - when looking around the rink those wearing hockey jerseys seemed to be the minority of fans in comparison to those wearing regular clothes - and it was the hockey wearing fans (or some) that were making the noise, whilst the "civilians" sat silently watching.
Todd often starts his commentary with "make some noise", we know the players appreciate it - so the question remains - how can we 'up the decibels", and what can the fansandwhat can the club do?

Wannabe2

I'm actually amazed that people are saying we were noisy in Coventry- it was the first away game I've been too where in was honestly embarrassed by how quiet Devil's travelling fans where, and I wasn't the only one to observe this, and it was this that made me evaluate the noise at our own rink
I think posters who are saying about the new generation of fans are spot on - when looking around the rink those wearing hockey jerseys seemed to be the minority of fans in comparison to those wearing regular clothes - and it was the hockey wearing fans (or some) that were making the noise, whilst the "civilians" sat silently watching.
Todd often starts his commentary with "make some noise", we know the players appreciate it - so the question remains - how can we 'up the decibels", and what can the fansandwhat can the club do?
I watched the webcast and all I could hear was the Devils fans.

CaldicotDevil

I always thought that some of Bordeleau’s hits were over the top, the idea of a hit is for it to be big enough to take a player off the play not out of the game, also when both players fall from a hit the advantage is lost so was pointless in the first place. When executed properly a hip check is my favourite. Just my opinion.
Agreed, it’s why his shifts were always cut short to the annoyance of his team mates. The reality is though those over the tops hits got the fans going. I remember playing yourselve. Bordy had a shift and put in some huge hit, fans went nuts, atmosphere became electric and it changed the whole game.

drainage

What's happened to Cardiff Devil's fans being the extra man on the ice??
It's like a library!!
At least nobody can accuse us of only singing when we are winning - we dont seem to sing at all anymore!
I got hooked on hockey in the late 80's not because of the game but because of the atmosphere - last night fans were even still sitting in the seats when we scored, not up cheering and making noise
What's happened?
Is it because we have a large number of new fans?
Don't people know the words? (I even tried spelling it out so people could join in - gimme a D, gimme an E etc"
Anybody remember that Durham game where people out and about in Cardiff thought the fans were going to blow the roof off the WNIR?
How can we get that atmosphere back? How can we be that extra man on the ice for our team again?
Thoughts anybody on how to turn the library back into one hell of a noisy rink where opposing fans can't be heard because of the loud and proud Devil's fans?
Curious as to why you become a member to post this ? Personally I watch all home games 95% or more of away games (including all CHL games) in person so I am more than happy at my commitment to the team ......I may or may not make noise but I certainly invest

Thread starter #39
Curious as to why you become a member to post this ? Personally I watch all home games 95% or more of away games (including all CHL games) in person so I am more than happy at my commitment to the team ......I may or may not make noise but I certainly invest
I've been a member of this forum for some time, I just don't post very often - I'm not being critical of those who do make noise, simply asking what people think we could do to encourage those that dont