Lausanne HC v Cardiff Devils Screening Event

Thread starter #1
Hi All

Im sure a few of you reading this will have had many conversations, beers or just general hellos with me during my time involved with the club.

Since leaving the club I have taken over St Peters Hall in Roath (great timing with lockdowns I know), and the reason for my post is that we are holding a Screening for the upcoming CHL fixture on September 4th.

As many fans can not travel to the game, I felt it would be great to be able to offer the fanbase a place to watch the game as a group, with no one else in the building and generally have a good time.

We have a MASSIVE screen in place and also have Max Birbraer coming down to do a pre game Q&A.

It should be a really good night and it will be great to catch up with so many familiar faces.

P.S James, if I am not supposed to advertise on here, sorry pal. During my time with the club this forum definitely kept me entertained, and also created many sleepless nights for me especially at the start haha

Well, thats the sales pitch over but it would be great to see you all if you have no plans. All details and tickets can be booked on the link below.

https://www.stpetershallcardiff.co.uk/cardiff-devils-chl-fixtures

Thanks all and I hope you all are still mega hungover after celebrating saturdays win

Wannabe2

Yes me too still got the shirt, 100 of us put £500 into the club to keep it alive, was that right Earnie my memory ain’t what it used to be.

Earnie

Yes that is correct. I don’t think they actually got to the 100 and the shirt was a cracker. It was so heavily embossed. People said we would never get our money back but we did.
In my case it was credit towards next year season tickets.
If anyone going is a 100 Club member- wear the shirt!

NathanG

Can someone possibly help me out please...? :)

Does anyone know of any bars in Cardiff that will show the game vs Mannheim this Thursday? I don't particularly want to watch it at home. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kevlar68

Can someone possibly help me out please...? :)

Does anyone know of any bars in Cardiff that will show the game vs Mannheim this Thursday? I don't particularly want to watch it at home. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Obviously it would have to be a bar with a licence for showing sporting events, if no other sport on such as Champions League, Europa cup etc i would imagine you could choose a sports bar you like and just ask them to put it on, i've done that in the past. I doubt you'll find anywhere advertising they're showing it which is a shame as you'd think the bars may support the most successful club in Cardiff's sporting history.

Kevlar68

Here‘s a thought, open the bar in the IAW, switch on the TV.........so simple it’s almost impossible to believe.
It's not really the best of locations, bit far out to drive to when you could go to your local pub or city centre bar, public transport not brilliant to arena, price of beer not worth the travel, no food available.
Also i went to the challenge cup final there to watch in the bar and only about 50 there if that, so if you can't get a packed bar for a final i doubt you'd get many for a CHL group game, not worth turning on the lights.
Simple ideas don't always work. :D

Last edited:

Mazzoak

It's not really the best of locations, bit far out to drive to when you could go to your local pub or city centre bar, public transport not brilliant to arena, price of beer not worth the travel, no food available.
Also i went to the challenge cup final there to watch in the bar and only about 50 there if that, so if you can't get a packed bar for a final i doubt you'd get many for a CHL group game, not worth turning on the lights.
Simple ideas don't always work. :D
I get that if bars in the city showed the game, having said that an event with some incentives, reduce drinks, food option and maybe equipment sale, raffle and the fact 18 months of no hockey you’d think people could make the effort to support the club and those sat at home on Furlough since March 20 could’ve come up with a plan or plans for something when we’re competing in Europe. Then again, passed events have been a bit s...

At least Kris is trying........

Kevlar68

Just one of those things with a Thursday away game, freeview TV coverage so no need to leave the house, distance to travel to arena for a drink when many have work the next day, cost of opening outweighing the takings, the food counter isn't even open for home games at the moment so couldn't really offer much in the way of food.
They would look at events such as the challenge cup final which I would say wasn't a money maker as didn't see many trips to the bar all that Sunday so a qualifying game on a Thursday night would be pretty poor I reckon.
As for a Saturday game St. Peters Hall is in a central location, good public transport link, bar prices cheaper I'm guessing and Devils Org are in support of the event as it's on our website.
I don't think its a case of not trying, it would be a call of is it good business to open the bar which I myself think it isn't.

Mazzoak

Just one of those things with a Thursday away game, freeview TV coverage so no need to leave the house, distance to travel to arena for a drink when many have work the next day, cost of opening outweighing the takings, the food counter isn't even open for home games at the moment so couldn't really offer much in the way of food.
They would look at events such as the challenge cup final which I would say wasn't a money maker as didn't see many trips to the bar all that Sunday so a qualifying game on a Thursday night would be pretty poor I reckon.
As for a Saturday game St. Peters Hall is in a central location, good public transport link, bar prices cheaper I'm guessing and Devils Org are in support of the event as it's on our website.
I don't think its a case of not trying, it would be a call of is it good business to open the bar which I myself think it isn't.
Everything your saying is correct in the way you’re viewing it. What I’m not really conveying is the bar in our rink should be better, a lot better. If you make a venue attractive, put effort, a little money and research into what would make people come, I’m not saying it would be easy, but in its current form, l agree, it would a tough sell.

One thought I’d had would’ve been a complete redecoration of the bar as an ice hockey bar found in the US, wall to wall hockey decor & theme, something unique then time a grand reopening on the night of an away game, get fans excited and engaged, then on game nights it’ll be the place to enjoy & then paying an Uber home wouldn’t be so bad as you’ve had a cracking night out. Plenty of people from outside Cardiff make the effort to get drunk on a Friday, Saturday & Sunday night in the city, you just need to make it worth while.
Maybe I’m dreaming too much, having a Tom Reid’s style bar, maybe I’m missing Rockies Bar too much and dreaming of having one in Cardiff......