Latest rink update

Koop11

Wishful thinking and the other thing to consider is that ‘areans’, particularly those whose primary focus is as a concert venue, have limited ice time available for games, let alone for training throughout the week. All areans (apart from Breahead?) have an separate ice pad attached or close by. No mention of that here.

The other matter for consideration is would the Elite League even want a team as far west as Swansea. Travel is already a huge cost for clubs as it is.

terry hunt

I am sure there are some who remember Swansea were interested in housing the Devils when the trouble regarding the WNIR closure was at its peak.
They had the old Velindre steelworks site available which is on the M4.
As a Swansea Jack i would argue that Swansea is and was a more ambitious sports city than
Cardiff.
Considering all the nonsense surrounding Cardiff Rugby,Cardiff City and Glamorgan Cricket.
I have no doubt that Swansea folk would support an Ice Hockey team.
I understand they are considering a bigger stadium for Swansea City.
I have lived in Newport since the 1970's and support the Dragons and the Devils for the last 25years but for some reason East Wales sports supporters seem determined to self destruct.

Wales could surely support 2 EIHL teams (and has motorways and railway lines also).

osh

Wannabe2 said:
Probably because there's no news to give, they will only tell the date, when it is set in concrete.

Well, they got the players benches totally wrong, let's at least hope they remembered to set the place in concrete eh :lol: - sorry pal, couldn't resist it ;)

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1,548
osh said:
Wannabe2 said:
Probably because there's no news to give, they will only tell the date, when it is set in concrete.

Well, they got the players benches totally wrong, let's at least hope they remembered to set the place in concrete eh :lol: - sorry pal, couldn't resist it ;)
It's okay Osh I was expecting that as soon as I wrote set in concrete, As for the benches I think you will get about 12 bodies in the front up against the boards. I

A team in Swansea would go out of business before a game was even played. Any hockey fans down there are Devils fans already and if not, Swansea doesn't have the population. The swans only get 20k now because they have been in the prem for a constant number of years. Hockey would't stand a chance

osh

Wannabe2 said:
osh said:
Wannabe2 said:

It's okay Osh I was expecting that as soon as I wrote set in concrete, As for the benches I think you will get about 12 bodies in the front up against the boards. I
12 bodies up against the boards ? As I said, they got the players benches totally wrong in what looks otherwise an above average arena.

Lee92 said:
A team in Swansea would go out of business before a game was even played. Any hockey fans down there are Devils fans already and if not, Swansea doesn't have the population. The swans only get 20k now because they have been in the prem for a constant number of years. Hockey would't stand a chance
I wouldn't go as far as to say any hockey fan in Swansea is a devils fan, i know people down here that have actually gone to see the panthers play because they refuse to see the CARDIFF devils. Yes seriously the Cardiff-Swansea argument even pours over into ice hockey down here. And there really is the population down here for it, not only do you have Swansea but you also have Carmarthenshire and those people that are willing to be devils fans but cannot find the time/money to travel to Cardiff every week would end up going there. I am not saying its 100% a no brainer but it is something that could work especially if it would drum up a rivalry against a Cardiff team.

I am a Swansea based Devils fan and ST holder. If a team were to be formed in Swansea I can categorically say that I would still support the Devils and wouldn't change allegiance due to the geography.

osh

Wannabe2 said:
It's far from average buddy, believe me.
Great compared to both the old barn in town and the BBT, and will serve us well in the future no doubt, but in the real world of new arenas for ice hockey, it's slightly better than average. That of course is down to finance hence my comment.

I can see a Swansea Arena team working to be honest. A lot of people are bitter about the whole Swansea-Cardiff football thing, but really that's an element of football that I would not want in Ice Hockey. If the people want it, I can see a Swansea ice facility being built in ten years.

On a slightly different note, Aberystwyth could do with an ice rink as its an ice rink black-spot and there's only 2 in the whole of Wales.
https://www.facebook.com/abericerink/

Diafol

According to the Away Travel page in tonight's programme, the Steelers have been advised by Devils management that the game on 21st February will be in the new rink.

aplzart said:
Lee92 said:
I wouldn't go as far as to say any hockey fan in Swansea is a devils fan, i know people down here that have actually gone to see the panthers play because they refuse to see the CARDIFF devils. Yes seriously the Cardiff-Swansea argument even pours over into ice hockey down here. And there really is the population down here for it, not only do you have Swansea but you also have Carmarthenshire and those people that are willing to be devils fans but cannot find the time/money to travel to Cardiff every week would end up going there. I am not saying its 100% a no brainer but it is something that could work especially if it would drum up a rivalry against a Cardiff team.
I dunno Tim, i just can't see it happening, and don't think it would carry on for long. I know many people don't like the capital down there, but not enough to make a hockey fan base.