LAST NIGHTS AWARDS

Samael

Yes agree with this totally.

Bowns out guy needs to go, right now.

Morisette bully needs to go, that was way over the top and personal earlier in the year / late last year. Doesn't matter how morisette was or wasn't performing, it was personal and way over the top.

Guy / gal who said Lord and Todd need to grow a pair needs to go.

People who make that kind of comment should be gone from this forum, simple as that.

Anyone with a constructive view point fine, but people often really overreact after a loss and under react (in comparison) after a win. Very strange.

As it says in that article, around Christmas Cardiff Devil's had the highest win rate of any professional hockey team in any professional league in the WORLD. Yet sentiment is still negative on this forum. I find it absolutely crazy. Just crazy. Some 'fans' - deliberately in inverted commas - are not real fans, they watch games and feel like we are entitled to win. They will stop watching if we are not winning.

So I am all for some extra moderation to clean this place up a little, and I think that will help get the club back on board over the next couple of years. You could create a set of rules related to bullying and personal insults. Happy to help with that Chris?
Isn't singling people out to be banned though just bullying in itself? Backseat moderation is not, in my opinion, the answer. The pinned thread about how to and how not to complain l think is quite comprehensive. I'm not condoning some of the remarks made on here but if people start getting banned left right and centre do you really think things will change? I mean look at chilly/electro and whatever other id that person was using. They were banned. Did the inferno really improve?

mweller

Are there a few fans on here that are over the top with their criticism? Yes. What I find very frustrating though is how sensitive some posters are. I saw a post on here on Sunday where somebody said it was time to get rid of Bowns. This is a perfect example of a post that should annoy people and I can understand the hysteria. What frustrates me are the responses to somebody saying “I think Bownsy should have saved that first goal”. Sometimes there is genuine anger because somebody has just expressed an opinion.

I’ve got a lot of sympathy for players because they use twitter for topics away from hockey. I must say though that I have a bit less sympathy for players if they go on a forum. It’s very easy to stay away from a fans forum and if I was a player in any sport in any part of the world I would 100% stay away from a fans forum. You are always, always going to get praise and criticism. Sidney Crosby, Lionel Messi, everybody.
Your first point is one of the casualties of the morons on here. By making their criticisms so extreme they force reasonable people the other way, so rational debate becomes impossible. So, getting rid of them will allow for more of that kind of discussion. And I agree, it is completely acceptable to say something like "that first goal was a bit soft", or "player X is having a dip in form", or "this role doesn't seem to be suiting player Y". Reasonable points made in an unaggressive manner.

On the second point above, it's not about players coming on here. It's more about the general culture it creates around a club - the inferno isn't the only part of that, but it is a part. If it can show itself to be decent place, hell, even fun to hang out in, then that begins to swing the culture to a more positive one elsewhere, because ppl see that way of behaving is not tolerated. Cultural shifts can happen quite swiftly - look at how positive the league is to LGBT now. You see big bearded macho guys happily sporting rainbow jerseys, whereas I'm not sure that was the case 15 years ago. It becomes unacceptable to be a Simmsy like bigot and that creates a change. There must be a way to do that in the relationship between the club and fans too. Maybe we should ask Todd or Katrina if they have ideas?

And Crosby, Messi etc are separated by a great distance of wealth and fame from fans, that's not the case with Devils players, which is why I grew to love UK hockey over football. We can't have it both ways - they're accessible and one of us, but need to take abuse as if they're Crosby.

RTfarty

I agree but it's clear from that piece, and from what the players have said during the season, that simply saying "it's a minority" isn't enough now, I think we need to take more positive action (although I'm not sure what that is). I've seen ppl saying they don't want to renew season tickets because they're fed up with the idiots, they're sucking all the fun out of the game. How do we combat that?
I've attended less games in the past 2 seasons than ever before, simply because of the toxicity that has crept in alongside our success. Some of the toy throwing I saw online following the Coventry loss was an embarrassment; it beggars belief that fans question the passion and commitment of players and management when we were 1 point short of winning our third league trophy in a row. I despise what we are becoming as a fan base because of a select few, and have no doubt that if we continue on this path we will undo all of the progress made since the takeover.

In the grand scheme of things we are a small club, with a small fan base playing in a small sport (by UK standards). Criticism and personal attacks don't get lost and dismissed in the noise like they do for NHL/Premier League players. You will always get a few idiots and fans who think they're bigger than the club with a lack of consideration for these things; social media/forums for all their positives enable this behaviour and unfortunately I don't think that's ever going to change.

All we can do is get behind the team and try to drown out the unnecessary negative as much as possible.

Last edited:

Earnie

Drown out the negative. All for it. Re register and identify all posters. My name is not Earnie. I would change it if I knew how to do it.

voth26

I agree but it's clear from that piece, and from what the players have said during the season, that simply saying "it's a minority" isn't enough now, I think we need to take more positive action (although I'm not sure what that is). I've seen ppl saying they don't want to renew season tickets because they're fed up with the idiots, they're sucking all the fun out of the game. How do we combat that?
I say to the ppl who are are thinking of not renewing, why let some mood hoover who like nothing more than sucking the fun out spoil the sport THEY ENJOY, renew your season tickets come to the games and shout clap chant whatever it's up to them but do it don't let someone else make them feel they can't or shouldnt. Where I sit there are people who tut and give dirty looks when I start chanting it used to annoy me now I just look at them an laugh and shout and chant even louder. I'm part of the mighty RED ARMY and support my team 100% my team are the CARDIFF DEVILS

voth26

This also concerns me. It's a big tell that Steve King hasn't posted in a while, and while we know he's a busy man his silence speaks volumes (and no that isnt me trying to "call him out" and get him to post here). I have recently made an account over on the Nottingham forum and felt compelled to post there that the level of arrogance posted on the inferno (I can't comment on other social media as I dont use it) this year made me quite sick. People have very short memories it would seem. This fanbase right now doesnt know it's born. We used to have self serving muppets like Ragan and Brent Pope at the helm and now look at the professional set up and actual CARE by a talented and generous mangement team we have. People complaining this year about petty nonsense like the method in which playoff tickets are sold, 4pm faceoffs, cake being eaten in the rink etc is shocking. And no, I'm not an innocent in all this as I too have been critical of our participation in the CHL and lack of youth development.

We as a fanbase are on thin ice and there are far too many 'spoilt brats' both new and old fans. Despite some people plucking statisics of 98% out of their arse. Perhaps this years league heartbreak will restore some humility to the fans.
Great post mate bit brutal but honest

voth26

Well I’m a firm believer in saying things as I see them. For me, differing opinions are what a forum is all about. I might not agree with every poster on here but I respect their right to hold those opinions. Unfortunately, that’s not always reciprocated by certain posters. If any sort of criticism is going to be frowned upon on here then it’s time for me to bow out. I’ll always give an honest opinion on performance as I see it, good or bad, as I think most posters do on here actually. I don’t agree with dishing out personal abuse towards anyone, never have done, never will - on here, in person or on social media. That’s not my bag. But I will criticise performance if I think it’s warranted and also praise if I think that’s appropriate. It’s called having a balanced perspective. If we’re not interested in that anymore, that’s fine. Enjoy the forum, although I think it might get a bit boring!
Having a balanced perspective is the right way to do do it though isnt it, people will read the post accept for what it is balanced views

kingmo19.1

Are we therefore implying that the Forum needs to be dumbed down so it’s almost a love-in, a digital shrine to the players and the organisation? A place the players and owners can go to have their ego’s stroked?
Are we talking about banning people who are not sucking up and worshiping their on-ice idols no matter what the score, intensity of effort in the ice? Is providing a negative opinion on something all of a sudden seen as a crime and must be iradicated?

Over the past few days I’ve seen Jeremy Corbin tell Theresa May (face to face) in front of millions of people that she is inept and should resign.

I have seen Neil Warnock slate match officials telling them they don’t know what they are doing and thre league has the worst officials ever.

I think the mature and the wise know when to filter out the noise and the rubbish and just get on with things. They don’t let their world crumble - isn’t there an old saying “sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me”! Are people in here that thin-skinned?

For the removal of any doubt - I’m talking about this Forum. People directly insulting players or the organisation via email or Twitter should be taken aside and spoken to!

Devilsatw

I can’t believe what I’m reading sometimes on here. It’s a forum where you voice your opinion and say what you want.

If Bowns has played shit il tell you he has,
If Morissette don’t deserve to be captain and haven’t scored a goal in 20 games il tell you that too.
What do you want people to do come on here all be happy and positive??

Players and staff need to give there heads a wobble. We pay week in week out to watch them so we are entitled to say what we bloody well like

mweller

Are we therefore implying that the Forum needs to be dumbed down so it’s almost a love-in, a digital shrine to the players and the organisation? A place the players and owners can go to have their ego’s stroked?
Are we talking about banning people who are not sucking up and worshiping their on-ice idols no matter what the score, intensity of effort in the ice? Is providing a negative opinion on something all of a sudden seen as a crime and must be iradicated?
!
Le massive sigh. So it's either this or completely toxic abusive forum is it? Those are our only choices? No possibility to make the forum a reasonable place to be? Most of us are capable of having rational discussion without being abusive or nasty. If you can't tell that difference then set up a forum for the brave free spirits who enjoy that kind of infantile behaviour.

Rich Best

I can’t believe what I’m reading sometimes on here. It’s a forum where you voice your opinion and say what you want.

If Morissette don’t deserve to be captain and haven’t scored a goal in 20 games il tell you that too.

Players and staff need to give there heads a wobble. We pay week in week out to watch them so we are entitled to say what we bloody well like
Ban him !

pjj365

Drown out the negative. All for it. Re register and identify all posters. My name is not Earnie. I would change it if I knew how to do it.
I use my own initials but wanted to change to a name (Peter) and like you could not do it so I just added my ST seat as a signature so I'm not completely anonymous

Samael

I don't think anyone is saying you can't speak your mind on here. It's just the manner in which some people express themselves has been a bit extreme of late. Both negatively and positively. There's a difference between critisism that is constuctive and abuse that adds nothing to a debate though. Same applies for the types of posts that say we're the best team and the best fans etc but don't back up the opinion with anything substantial which is why we are being perceived as an arrogant and entitled set of fans by a lot of other teams supporters.

RTfarty

I think there's a difference between criticising a player's performance constructively vs a season long agenda against the team's choice of captain. Absolutely nothing wrong with criticism where it's warranted and I am in no way advocating 'dumbing down' the forum to being an all positive, happy clapping place, but it isn't that hard to be a good guy and offer a bit more than 'X player hasn't scored in 20 games/not fit to wear the jersey/sack him'.

There are members of this forum and fans on social media who only have bad things to say and contribute nothing but negativity, and it's exhausting.

kettdevil1

Not happy and positive if that is not how you feel but no, there should be no sense of entitlement to ‘say what you want’. You are presupposing people want to hear what you say and I might be wrong but what people want from a forum is a lively debate and to be made to think. Posting points without backing them up is the equivalent of shouting at your kitchen wall, it might make you feel good but it is not conducive to engage others.

What you post is for the most part, your opinion, stating it as fact does not make it a fact, hence, to get people to listen to your opinion you need evidence not statements.

This applies to opinions the other way, posting ‘Player X is great’ depresses me just as much as the opposite.... I want to shout WHY DO YOU THINK THAT!.....

kettdevil1

I don't think anyone is saying you can't speak your mind on here. It's just the manner in which some people express themselves has been a bit extreme of late. Both negatively and positively. There's a difference between critisism that is constuctive and abuse that adds nothing to a debate though. Same applies for the types of posts that say we're the best team and the best fans etc but don't back up the opinion with anything substantial which is why we are being perceived as an arrogant and entitled set of fans by a lot of other teams supporters.
Posted my comment before reading this and I think your argument is a little more eloquent than mine.... and yes, the sense of entitlement has come over amongst some fans (who I always presume have come into the game in the last five years and who don’t know about our key game against the Blaze five years ago...)

Devils86

You pay to watch a game of hockey. That’s it.

I’m all for people disagreeing but this forum should be a place of evidenced, thought out discussion.

You didn’t come out after the Blaze loss and say: “Bowns had a mare today” you called for him to be let go by saying “Bye Bowns”

Disagreeing is great as it inspires debate. But that type of short-sighted, reactive, bile only degraded the reputation of the forum and the wider Devils fan base - and it makes you look like you don’t know what you are talking about.

On the wider point I would support a closed forum both for viewing and posting. If you have genuinely impartial (on the happy clapper spectrum) moderators then as long as posters adhere to the very few rules they have nothing to fear.

Mods could then have a word if someone is constantly engaging in trolling or abusive posting.

Overall: be grumpy, don’t like the hockey, vocalise that - but do it in a thought out manner. Same goes for the other side of the same coin, we need to call out arrogance and unfounded praise.

For example, nobody would respect a post if I said that the MK win (9-1) was the single greatest win I’d seen because of the score line & we are the best ever....

We defeat ignorance and prejudice by engaging with it - but it ain’t half tiring!

kingmo19.1

You pay to watch a game of hockey. That’s it.

I’m all for people disagreeing but this forum should be a place of evidenced, thought out discussion.

You didn’t come out after the Blaze loss and say: “Bowns had a mare today” you called for him to be let go by saying “Bye Bowns”

Disagreeing is great as it inspires debate. But that type of short-sighted, reactive, bile only degraded the reputation of the forum and the wider Devils fan base - and it makes you look like you don’t know what you are talking about.

On the wider point I would support a closed forum both for viewing and posting. If you have genuinely impartial (on the happy clapper spectrum) moderators then as long as posters adhere to the very few rules they have nothing to fear.

Mods could then have a word if someone is constantly engaging in trolling or abusive posting.

Overall: be grumpy, don’t like the hockey, vocalise that - but do it in a thought out manner. Same goes for the other side of the same coin, we need to call out arrogance and unfounded praise.

For example, nobody would respect a post if I said that the MK win (9-1) was the single greatest win I’d seen because of the score line & we are the best ever....

We defeat ignorance and prejudice by engaging with it - but it ain’t half tiring!

The problem you have with that is people on here all have a different amount of knowledge and experience when it comes to the game. Some are new to it, some have watched for 30+ years, some have played and some haven’t.

If I was to mention our 3rd line mid-lane drive success rate our 2nd line o-zone entry speed or maybe Richie’s decision to pinch regularly or leave, would 90% of people on here know what the hell im referring to ? I doubt it!