Kevin Raine hit

jenks33

Thread starter #1

Has everyone seen the Kevin Raine hit on the weekend? What do we think of it? Very bad hit in my opinion. I appreciate these hits can be fine margins but every angle I see it looks like he catches him in the mouth. Others have said they think the initial contact is upper body. I think it’s a slippery slope if he gets nothing for that when you consider head injuries are a very sensitive subject these days.

Kevlar68

A ban, he was looking at the player, brought his shoulder up in to the players head, purposeful upward motion with intent on making contact.
He set his right arm up ready for the hit to go high and his leg position gives him upward force.

Last edited:

jenks33

Thread starter #3
A ban, he was looking at the player, brought his shoulder up in to the players head, purposeful motion with intent on making contact.
Agreed. I’ve tried to be impartial when looking at it but it’s a very poor hit. I’ve read through a lot of comments on twitter today and I’ve found the only people defending the hit are Belfast fans and hockey fans that want to see 10 fights a game! In this day and age you shouldn’t be getting away with hits like that.

Gisland

A ban, he was looking at the player, brought his shoulder up in to the players head, purposeful upward motion with intent on making contact.
He set his right arm up ready for the hit to go high and his leg position gives him upward force.
Yet the official had the perfect view in which to call it. What was the call?

Kevlar68

I don't know what game the official was watching but it was pretty clear.
Garrigan was upright and Raine was intent on going high by his body positioning and movement.

jenks33

Thread starter #13
That’s a poor hit, clearly to the head for me. Hits like that are just not acceptable anymore and if the league don’t act on that, then they’re setting a dangerous precedent.
“Hits like that are just not acceptable anymore”. That’s it isn’t it. It’s 2021 not 1988 and if that hit is deemed legal now then it won’t be for much longer. Raine knows it’s a bad hit, you just have to look at his body language.
I don’t buy this “He needs to keep his head up” response that you see so often as well. By all means crunch him if he’s got his head down as long as it’s legal. I’m sorry it just looks like an arm to the face to me and Raine needs to be more responsible.

E.D.S.

See a guildford player got a 1 game ban for boarding v storm which was no where near as bad as raines hit..
Agree. Whilst you can't compare hit to hit it does set a dangerous precedent if the league aren't consistent. The Raine hit was straight to the head. It was unnecessarily high and delivered with intent. Raine had plenty of time to adjust and make the hit safer. Action has to be taken here.

moggy#9

“Hits like that are just not acceptable anymore”. That’s it isn’t it. It’s 2021 not 1988 and if that hit is deemed legal now then it won’t be for much longer. Raine knows it’s a bad hit, you just have to look at his body language.
I don’t buy this “He needs to keep his head up” response that you see so often as well. By all means crunch him if he’s got his head down as long as it’s legal. I’m sorry it just looks like an arm to the face to me and Raine needs to be more responsible.
That looks a really bad hit. Absolutely astonishing that dops have said nothing.

BostonBart22

That looks a really bad hit. Absolutely astonishing that dops have said nothing.
Problem is, if it was only called as charging then dops wont look at it unless Dundee asked for dops to look at it but that costs money, perhaps dundee not got the money to throw about like other clubs..

moggy#9

Problem is, if it was only called as charging then dops wont look at it unless Dundee asked for dops to look at it but that costs money, perhaps dundee not got the money to throw about like other clubs..
That's a fair point. Discipline shouldn't be about having to make a complaint and begging able to afford it though. Dops should set a standard and enforce it for all clubs.

terry hunt

Not seen it. Didn’t see McNally hit either. Not really in a position to say much I would have thought?
You can see this hit plus others on the Youtube highlights of the game.This has nothing to do with fighting just taking a player out of the game.I am dissapointed DOPS have done nothing.This season more than previous others is about icing more young Brits.
I support fighting where its necessary but this looks more like feeding Belfast fans with their appetite for violence.
We could lose support if this continues.Only the sickos/MMA fans want to see this stuff.Perhaps we need to check when Bordelau is available.

moggy#9

You can see this hit plus others on the Youtube highlights of the game.This has nothing to do with fighting just taking a player out of the game.I am dissapointed DOPS have done nothing.This season more than previous others is about icing more young Brits.
I support fighting where its necessary but this looks more like feeding Belfast fans with their appetite for violence.
We could lose support if this continues.Only the sickos/MMA fans want to see this stuff.Perhaps we need to check when Bordelau is available.
It's ironic, isn't it, when you consider their attitude to the schiestel hit on Murphy. This, in my opinion, far worse.