Junior development

moggy#9

Thread starter #1
Ok, forgive my ignorance here (I was away from hockey for a number of years), but this is something genuinely puzzling to me. I see that another Sheffield product is making a big impact at the u20s. It's good to see a conveyor of talent there. But my question is, what's happened to junior development in Cardiff? The impression I get is that we don't seem to have much representation in national teams and no prospects training with the devils. When I was involved with the supporters club, one of our main aims was junior development. So what happened?

doron

iv been wondering the same, can't seem to find much out about junior devils league tables and what i can isn't good. if I'm looking in the right place.? under 18s last games on the website was 19th May 2019 5-0 5-0 5-0 12-0 12-0 3-11 (iv got to be looking in the wrong place i think)
i don't see any development of juniors at all,
i hope im wrong

kingmo19.1

iv been wondering the same, can't seem to find much out about junior devils league tables and what i can isn't good. if I'm looking in the right place.? under 18s last games on the website was 19th May 2019 5-0 5-0 5-0 12-0 12-0 3-11 (iv got to be looking in the wrong place i think)
i hope im wrong
Here you go fella ... https://eiha.co.uk/junior-leagues/junior-leagues-south/junior-leagues-u18-south-2/

Just click through the age groups on the right of the screen.

doron

thanks, kingmo19.1
well, that league table doesn't look good, last place and haven't won a game.

i would have thought as Cardiff doesn't have any competition to recruit players for their club. in their area.
they would have been a lot better. or well

years ago, you had the likes of Jason Stone , Nicky chinn, Stephen Lyle. Neil Francis.

pjj365

thanks, kingmo19.1
well, that league table doesn't look good, last place and haven't won a game.

i would have thought as Cardiff doesn't have any competition to recruit players for their club. in their area.
they would have been a lot better. or well

years ago, you had the likes of Jason Stone , Nicky chinn, Stephen Lyle. Neil Francis.
Check out U15 South3 - top of league. U13 and U11 (2teams) mid table.
Also, just because there's no competition for players does not mean that those that are playing are necessarily good. But, yes, there should be a focus on development which is just not obvious to most of us

doron

so looking at that then i would say that the development of junior players
is well behind the like's of Sheffield Nottingham and Belfast.
i know that the clubs main priority is elite league, but do the players have any involvement with junior training.
i hope so. like the odd player will join the training session from time to time.

ps
planet ice or somebody else out there.
Anglesea/ / Swansea / and Wrexham, could do with a ice rink, come on, pull your finger out.
wales is a desert. we need more ice.

pjj365

moggy#9

Thread starter #9
so looking at that then i would say that the development of junior players
is well behind the like's of Sheffield Nottingham and Belfast.
i know that the clubs main priority is elite league, but do the players have any involvement with junior training.
i hope so. like the odd player will join the training session from time to time.

ps
planet ice or somebody else out there.
Anglesea/ / Swansea / and Wrexham, could do with a ice rink, come on, pull your finger out.
wales is a desert. we need more ice.
Isn't there still a rink on deeside? I couldn't see Anglesey nor Wrexham supporting a rink (particularly for senior hockey). If I were an investor I'd be looking at places like Bristol, Plymouth, Brighton and Durham before anywhere else in Wales. Swansea probably could populationwise, but interest in hockey there would remain to be seen.

pjj365

Isn't there still a rink on deeside? I couldn't see Anglesey nor Wrexham supporting a rink (particularly for senior hockey). If I were an investor I'd be looking at places like Bristol, Plymouth, Brighton and Durham before anywhere else in Wales. Swansea probably could populationwise, but interest in hockey there would remain to be seen.
There you go for Deeside
https://aura.wales/leisure/deeside-ice-rink/
From what I recall it is massively curling - HQ of Welsh Curling association (or whatever it's called) - otherwise don't know much about it but here is the hockey team
https://www.dragonsicehockey.com/

Leighton

i hope im wrong
the u18s (as with most clubs that have a team at that age) struggle for numbers cos life gets in the way (school, college, work, girlfriends/boyfriends) not to mention fire 2, and by that by that age most of them have realised they aint going to the NHL. so the u18s are relying on first and second year u15s to play up an age group just to keep the team going for this season. this means you've got 13 year olds facing off against 17 year olds and they simply cannot compete. Next season it'll be different as the u18s will drop down a division and we'll have somewhere around 19 "natural" u18s on the squad. this season there's a big plaster over the age group.

the u15s should, barring disasters, win the division and get promoted.

13s are doing well.

11s are doing well considering the obstacles they face (wont bore you with the details but its down to numbers/teams/travel).

There is talent in cardiff but the club does have competition in the shape of our friends down the road - swindon. you would be suprised how many cardiff players go east, can only think of one swindon player who came west in recent times, and he's now in bracknell.

swindon has trials, a/b teams and an in house league, cardiff doesnt have trials and all are welcome regardless of current skill level.

there are around 125 players in cardiff across all the age groups which is tiny when you consider the catchment area and the fact we are the only club but the reality is we're constrained by ice availability, coach numbers, not to mention the sheer expense of the sport.

the coaches and managers are all volunteers who get no perks whatsoever for giving up their time, they are a great bunch who go above and beyond for the kids week in week out.

moggy#9

Thread starter #12
the u18s (as with most clubs that have a team at that age) struggle for numbers cos life gets in the way (school, college, work, girlfriends/boyfriends) not to mention fire 2, and by that by that age most of them have realised they aint going to the NHL. so the u18s are relying on first and second year u15s to play up an age group just to keep the team going for this season. this means you've got 13 year olds facing off against 17 year olds and they simply cannot compete. Next season it'll be different as the u18s will drop down a division and we'll have somewhere around 19 "natural" u18s on the squad. this season there's a big plaster over the age group.

13s are doing well.

11s are doing well considering the obstacles they face (wont bore you with the details but its down to numbers/teams/travel).

There is talent in cardiff but the club does have competition in the shape of our friends down the road - swindon. you would be suprised how many cardiff players go east, can only think of one swindon player who came west in recent times, and he's now in bracknell.

swindon has trials, a/b teams and an in house league, cardiff doesnt have trials and all are welcome regardless of current skill level.

there are around 125 players in cardiff across all the age groups which is tiny when you consider the catchment area and the fact we are the only club but the reality is we're constrained by ice availability, coach numbers, not to mention the sheer expense of the sport.

the coaches and managers are all volunteers who get no perks whatsoever for giving up their time, they are a great bunch who go above and beyond for the kids week in week out.
Thanks. That was a fascinating insight.

doron

13s are doing well.

thanks for the insight into the daily workings and tribulations of the junior hockey program, very interesting.

doron

u20s GB v Spain
good first period / nightmare second period/ unlucky 3rd ,and a great shootout.
a bad 10-minute spell was their downfall.

Johnnybravo1927

last season our u11s won the conference and gave a good showing in the nationals. Most of that team have moved up to u13s and are starting to give a good account of their selves there, currently 2nd in Division 2 (of 3) and fighting for promotion. If the nucleus of the team stay together they could be very good in the future. I manage the team and its coached by Jason Stone. Would be great to see some more fans get down and watch.

moggy#9

Thread starter #17
last season our u11s won the conference and gave a good showing in the nationals. Most of that team have moved up to u13s and are starting to give a good account of their selves there, currently 2nd in Division 2 (of 3) and fighting for promotion. If the nucleus of the team stay together they could be very good in the future. I manage the team and its coached by Jason Stone. Would be great to see some more fans get down and watch.
Maybe there could be done coverage of the juniors in the devils match programme. I'd definitely find that more interesting than reading about some random fan.

doron

good to see the lower age groups doing well, and i must say all the effort you yourself and Jason put in to get the team to where they are. i know its not an easy job to do with the cost's ice time and all the other things. .and it's nice to see, Jason stone being involved also.
i use to watch him and Nicky Chinn and steven Lyle play.

Johnnybravo1927

good to see the lower age groups doing well, and i must say all the effort you yourself and Jason put in to get the team to where they are. i know its not an easy job to do with the cost's ice time and all the other things. .and it's nice to see, Jason stone being involved also.
i use to watch him and Nicky Chinn and steven Lyle play.
Jason commits a huge amount of time and effort. His son is in the team (as is mine) and he is a cracking little player

pjj365

Just been to collect tickets and stayed at the Arena for 30 odd mins.

Patience will be rewarded. About 50 kids there from virtual toddlers to pre-teens being put through their paces by a fair few teenage lads with half a dozen or so adult coaches/supervisors. Numerous skills based exercises being undertaken. But I'm not sure it's fair to play grandmother's footsteps with little ones who need their sticks to stand upright let alone stop and stand still - but it was fun to watch!

Fair few ExtreemEdge shirts there so that's commitment in kid's time and parent's time (and money!).

Wonder how the club could support this kind of activity - maybe they do!