Joey Martin on a One Year Deal to Norway

OJLloyd

Thread starter #1
Joey has gone to the Stavanger Oilers for this coming season.

This does seem to add weight to the idea that we aren’t likely to have anything like a season here.

Thankfully, it appears he’ll be back next year, but still a blow.

mjh

Nail in the coffin. Don't think Joey would have considered this if he thought we'd have hockey this year. All respect to the man. Hope he does well over there.

Hedd Wyn John

This all but confirms no league. Todd wouldn't have given players the say so to reach out to other leagues unless he knew the league wasn't going to restart this year.

tim78

All the best Joey, enjoy Norway and a MASSIVE thank you for picking Cardiff.

Not sure if we'll get any more announcement but again thank you to the rest of the players for the last few awesome seasons.

Yep, doesn't look like we'll have a season. Hopefully the NIHL can run a team and maybe we can get to support some local players via webcast.

Devils86

Thankfully the news item from the Devils explains it's not a permanent thing.

Just further enhances the reputation of the club in how it is run, and the way it treats players.

august04

I think it’s time to announce that the season is cancelled and end this uncertainty. And then issue refunds/stop taking any more direct debit payments. Very sad but inevitable really. Westminster and the devolved parliaments are not going to allow spectators in any great number at indoor venues during this coming winter.

The nail has been in the coffin for weeks .. if u hadn't noticed Panthers have never stood in their players way
Panthers never stand in anybody’s way! Particularly on the ice!
Look, you’ve got an agenda that’s plain to see, but to infer or insinuate that the Devils ownership have been anything less than helpful and not have the players best interests at the forefront of the decision making is completely incorrect.
But don’t let the facts get in the way of your diatribes!

Wannabe2

There are obviously 2 ways of reading this, and 2 ways of interpreting this, it can be read and assumed, but only assumed that there will not be a season this season, but at this moment in time my assumption is that it can be just as real that knowing our organisation, and how professional they are, that they are playing the decent cards and informing players that no one will be held to ransom, and that players like us all need to earn a income. It’s still my belief that no one at the moment can call the outcome, and that as far as a season going ahead we are at the traffic lights and that they are on Amber, it’s not Green and it’s a goer, but it’s also not Red which is its done for this year, it’s still a waiting game. If our club and other clubs knew the outcome at this moment in time then I believe we certainly would know, but as I say the lights are still on Amber in my mind. This club over the last number of years has built a very good relationship with players and fans alike, they don’t keep us in the dark, and they dont lead us up the garden path either, their views on things are very much like ours and so they should as they are also fans and part of us, and that’s why this club is so successful. Doing the right thing for players and not holding them to ransom, and not being selfish is most certainly the decent thing to do, and will definately pay dividends in the long run. The loss of Joey is huge and the club as much as us will know that, but what would you do if you were the owners,and at the moment what the outcome will be is anyone’s call. Taking the view that well that’s that the seasons done is quite natural, but by the same token so is well we need to see what happens in the coming months. We have been thru a lot together guys, we all know that, the ups and the downs, it’s one big roller coaster ride, but it’s my opinion that when a final decision is made we will know about it sooner than later, in the meantime all stay safe, and try to stay positive it won’t harm us, take good care.

matbur

Confident that Joey Martin will return next year. Can't fault his decision and good luck to him.

It's pretty obvious there won't be a proper season now.

There might be a shortened makeshift competition to fill the void later in the year, but it won't be full capacity even then, and with players (and teams) dropping out any competition will be a serious dip in quality and it can't be considered a serious competition.

BostonBart22

Good luck to the GOAT, cant blame him and surely others will follow, but the big question will be will he come back especially if he has a top season and his new club offer him money we couldnt compete with, all ifs and buts. could be in the hands of the LORD...

august04

Good luck to the GOAT, cant blame him and surely others will follow, but the big question will be will he come back especially if he has a top season and his new club offer him money we couldnt compete with, all ifs and buts. could be in the hands of the LORD...
That’s a good question. It’s easy to say that he’ll be back in 21/22 but who knows - if he loves it in Norway and gets paid more than he can ever earn here, we might not see him again.

ASHIPP

This shows the class of this organisation..... putting the personal circumstances of the players first. These guys need to be employed. Inevitable that other players will be looking at employment options and we could see more departures..... hopefully temporary. Good luck to Joey.... hope he has a great experience in Norway.

League should call time soon on starting the season and try to save costs. With the latest revelations about potential dangers with corona virus and air-conditioning units in office blocks in a normal environment, can anyone see a return to our beloved sport (without heavy investment) anytime soon?

Eynonz

I love how well we treat our players, no wonder so many people recommend our organisation. I can see more doing the same thing, and I don't mind that.

Rempel16

The nail has been in the coffin for weeks .. if u hadn't noticed Panthers have never stood in their players way
Panthers' way of doing this might result in having to have a complete rebuild, whereas our team won't forget that they've been looked after and we will likely head into 21/22 picking up where we left off.

I know which club has more of my admiration on a professional level, and it's not the Panthers.