ITV: Should ice hockey be added to the national curriculum?

If it did happen it would be great of course. However, I imagine the short term goal of this release was to get the Devils in the news before the start of the season - and it's succeeded.

Well played Paul Ragan :D

Certainly would be good, but how would you get funding and time for that? I mean football, rugby, cricket etc have fairly low barriers to entry, give 20 kids a ball on a field and they can play football. It’s easy to see why schools lavish attention on these sports, it’s cheap and going to matches help keep them interested. Having said that I would have loved to go to an Ice Hockey match when I was in school, it’s certainly neglected and the chance to go to a game would encourage youngsters to take up the sport, but it's not exactly feasible to get kids out on the ice once a week during school hours, the time and money just isn’t available, so I can't see it getting on the curriculum. Maybe if schools can take kids and if they catch the buzz they get some sort of extra credit for playing outside school hours?

Not to mention if the rumours of PI winning the contract for the new arena, with a single pad are true, there probably wouldn't be the ice availability. :roll: :lol:

All very well for a school in the Cardiff area having ice hockey as part of their curriculum, but what happens to schools in other areas of Wales? I grew up in North West Wales - the closest thing we had (and still have) to an ice rink there was puddles freezing over in the cold weather!

pesdaboi said:
All very well for a school in the Cardiff area having ice hockey as part of their curriculum, but what happens to schools in other areas of Wales? I grew up in North West Wales - the closest thing we had (and still have) to an ice rink there was puddles freezing over in the cold weather!
Could play roller hockey or floor hockey. We played roller hockey with school when we went to Glan-Llyn (outdoor education place) and everyone loved it, even the people that weren't in to sports were enjoying it. Can see a few teachers and parents worried about it with all the health and safety rubbish thats about now though :lol:

Soundwave1 said:
Ragan's talking about watching hockey isn't he? (And then thhat helping get kkids into the sport to take it up.)
Yeah, but there has to be some kind of educational (physical or otherwise) side to it. I just don't see schools taking the time out to see ice hockey, then saying by the way, you can't play this in school as we have no means (rink, kit, funds, time etc) for you to do so.

If there where some kind of after school hockey camps and things of that nature, then maybe, but again its funds etc and I'm sure I just read somewhere that these things are prohibitively expensive. I know theres the junior devils (I think, well in my day at least), but if 5 kids from every school in cardiff alone suddenly decided to show up I think they would be overwhelmed pretty fast.

Its a great idea in theory, but I think there are some major hurdles that are difficult to get past, especially at the moment when local councils are tightening there belts. Im all for it if it can be done right though! (I jested before about Planet Ice, but I feel if The Devils had there own rink/s then this would be infinitely more achievable).

Maybe Im just bitter I didn't get to go to games in school though :mrgreen:

Ger-Devils

There's plenty of funding out there, you just have to look in the right places for it.

The bad timing for Sports Council of Wales is the olympics- budgets for Schools/Clubs has been hit bigtime with this going on.

I play league cricket and the funding we were looking at was cut drastically this year which didn't help our plans for our junior section so luckily enough we've found some new funding in forms of local community and local companies who are trying to rebuild the areas

When i was in school there was the occasional use of the school's sports hall for floor hockey, just sum generic flat-bladed plastic sticks and a soft rubber ball, but it definitely got people going to play a different game.
And regardless of what anyone says, hockey is an expensive sport to get into, for my pads, stick and skates it cost me nearly £400, which came mostly out of student loan money but is still a lot of money especially considering it is almost all compulsory equipment. There is also a £10 charge for training sessions or play the game sessions at the rink. I've never paid money to go to training for my old rugby team.
And about the same time I got my pads I also got a football which cost me £3 in soccer sports/sports world or whatever else they are calling it these days, and I can honestly say I'd need to have these pads for most of my life to match the use the football has had.

and I understand it was more about introducing children to ice hockey through viewing the game, but to truly develop the sport we need more players, which is where my previous statement about cost came about.