Isolation ice hockey fantasy viewing.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #1
So we're in lockdown, told to stay in and we got no hockey to watch.

You get the choice of ONLY 3 British ice hockey games on repeat every day (They don't have to be Devils games). One in morning, one in afternoon, one in the evening. You only get one choice, you can't do a "either, or"

Which 3 would you choose and in which order.

for me its:-

Morning - Devils V Panthers Playoff semi final 2018-19 (just a class performance after bouncing back from the league loss by stats}

Afternoon - Devils V Panthers with bench clearance from 1994 - 95 season (light mid afternoon entertainment instead of the afternoon crap TV)

Evening - Devils v Racers Playoff Final 1989 - 90 which was shown on BBC1 Grandstand (Just a amazing on the edge of your seat game)

Get those brains thinking, what else we got to do?

jenks33

My favourite times watching the devils were the Superleague years so I’d probably pick 3 games between 1996 and 2000.

26/1/97 - Devils 3-2 Steelers. Huge two points against our rivals that spurred us on to win the league.

1999 play off semi final - Devils 5-0 Storm. I remember I didn’t see this result coming at all. Storm were the league champions and the play offs were in their back yard. A narrow Devils victory was a possibility but I don’t think anybody could have predicted 5-0.

1999 play off final - Devils 2-1 Panthers. Seeing as Ivan Matulik is my favourite devils player of all time I have to pick this game. Two excellent Matulik goals on Trevor Robins. Derek Herlofsky was outstanding in goal all weekend, just a shame that Kolesar scored with about 12 seconds left to prevent two herlofsky shut outs.

moggy#9

So we're in lockdown, told to stay in and we got no hockey to watch.

You get the choice of ONLY 3 British ice hockey games on repeat every day (They don't have to be Devils games). One in morning, one in afternoon, one in the evening. You only get one choice, you can't do a "either, or"

Which 3 would you choose and in which order.

for me its:-

Morning - Devils V Panthers Playoff semi final 2018-19 (just a class performance after bouncing back from the league loss by stats}

Afternoon - Devils V Panthers with bench clearance from 1994 - 95 season (light mid afternoon entertainment instead of the afternoon crap TV)

Evening - Devils v Racers Playoff Final 1989 - 90 which was shown on BBC1 Grandstand (Just a amazing on the edge of your seat game)

Get those brains thinking, what else we got to do?
I can't argue with those choices, but I'd also commend the Wembley final that Sheffield were convinced they were going to win, but the devils stuffed them about 12-1.

moggy#9

My favourite times watching the devils were the Superleague years so I’d probably pick 3 games between 1996 and 2000.

26/1/97 - Devils 3-2 Steelers. Huge two points against our rivals that spurred us on to win the league.

1999 play off semi final - Devils 5-0 Storm. I remember I didn’t see this result coming at all. Storm were the league champions and the play offs were in their back yard. A narrow Devils victory was a possibility but I don’t think anybody could have predicted 5-0.

1999 play off final - Devils 2-1 Panthers. Seeing as Ivan Matulik is my favourite devils player of all time I have to pick this game. Two excellent Matulik goals on Trevor Robins. Derek Herlofsky was outstanding in goal all weekend, just a shame that Kolesar scored with about 12 seconds left to prevent two herlofsky shut outs.
Ooh, the Steve Thornton debut game after the Steelers said he wasn't good enough for them. How is have loved to see him play out his career in Cardiff.

kingmo19.1

1. Devils v Durham Wasps (2nd leg of Benson and Hedges Cup 1990). We’d just got promoted to the Heineken Premier League and were mixing it with the big boys, none bigger than Durham at the time. We lost the first leg up there the previous weekend (12-4 or 12-6 If I recall) and this was their first visit to the WNIR. The place was packed, sold out the week before. The atmosphere was off the scale and the anticipation level to determine how good we actually were v the best in the land was palpable. The game was massively delayed on the night, Durhams travel plans hampered by the snow. The game eventually started about 9.30pm and it was as gritty as they come - The pretenders v the big blue machine. We eventually won 10-6 with the game finishing close to midnight if I remember. Not one fan left the place before the game ended. Legendary game and the one that signalled the power shift from the North East to South Wales. The rest is history.
2. Devils v Blaze (Challenge Cup Final second leg at WNIR). We’d been smashed in the first leg in their barn, 3-0 if my memory serves me right. This was the second leg and the blaze had brought a shed load of fans down to Cardiff to celebrate their expectant win. Step up Nathan Rempel with a hat-trick (yes, Nathan Rempel!!!) and we’re back in it. You know the rest, it went to penalties and Rejean Stringer won it for us. Unexpected win, great performance and the loudest atmosphere I’ve ever experienced at the WNIR. Standing directly behind the goal at the bar end, it was so loud my ears were actually hurting.
3. Playoff Final last season v Belfast. Great competitive game, some sublime moments of skill (Fourniers goal) and edge of the seat from the first minute to the last. Awesome (clean) hit by Schiestel that swung the game our way. Love seeing a good clean hit and that emphasised that physicality when applied correctly is still a
Massive game changer.

BostonBart22

1. Devils v Durham Wasps (2nd leg of Benson and Hedges Cup 1990). We’d just got promoted to the Heineken Premier League and were mixing it with the big boys, none bigger than Durham at the time. We lost the first leg up there the previous weekend (12-4 or 12-6 If I recall) and this was their first visit to the WNIR. The place was packed, sold out the week before. The atmosphere was off the scale and the anticipation level to determine how good we actually were v the best in the land was palpable. The game was massively delayed on the night, Durhams travel plans hampered by the snow. The game eventually started about 9.30pm and it was as gritty as they come - The pretenders v the big blue machine. We eventually won 10-6 with the game finishing close to midnight if I remember. Not one fan left the place before the game ended. Legendary game and the one that signalled the power shift from the North East to South Wales. The rest is history.
2. Devils v Blaze (Challenge Cup Final second leg at WNIR). We’d been smashed in the first leg in their barn, 3-0 if my memory serves me right. This was the second leg and the blaze had brought a shed load of fans down to Cardiff to celebrate their expectant win. Step up Nathan Rempel with a hat-trick (yes, Nathan Rempel!!!) and we’re back in it. You know the rest, it went to penalties and Rejean Stringer won it for us. Unexpected win, great performance and the loudest atmosphere I’ve ever experienced at the WNIR. Standing directly behind the goal at the bar end, it was so loud my ears were actually hurting.
3. Playoff Final last season v Belfast. Great competitive game, some sublime moments of skill (Fourniers goal) and edge of the seat from the first minute to the last. Awesome (clean) hit by Schiestel that swung the game our way. Love seeing a good clean hit and that emphasised that physicality when applied correctly is still a
Massive game changer.
All them would be my choice, going back to the durham game i believe it was fog the problem and durham couldnt land at cardiff so were diverted to birmingham, but wow what a game it turned out to be, a classic....

kingmo19.1

All them would be my choice, going back to the durham game i believe it was fog the problem and durham couldnt land at cardiff so were diverted to birmingham, but wow what a game it turned out to be, a classic....
Yep, that was it (fog) - the memory is a bit hazy these days. Awesome game and how patient were the fans to hang around for 3 hours awaiting the start of the game. I recall a few devils coming onto the ice during the wait to provide some ad-hoc entertainment! I remember seeing Brebant for the first time and thinking ‘Wow, that bloke is good!’. It also emphasised how good the local Durham lads were as they could easily have rolled 3 lines all night.

Wannabe2

1. Versus London Knights at the WNIR, we went 5-0 down and were being owned, you could have heard a pin drop the crowd were really pissed off. Then Chinny has a fight with a Knights player, Rushford I think and he beat the crap out of him, that fight was exactly what was needed to turn the game, next thing 5-1, then 5-2, then 5-3 now the crowd are exploding and it’s getting tense knights coach McSorely is going ape, then it’s 5-4 and the roof is about to fly off the rink, then 5-5 now it’s manic, then Thornton picks up the puck feeds it to Sacratini who roofs it, we win 6-5 and the place is manic, what a game.
2. Versus Blaze challenge cup final 2nd leg, exactly as Kingmo19.1 explains it.
3.play off semi final v Storm in Manchester, Storm had just won the league and they even had the Storm colours on the trophy before the games, Storm were everyone’s favourite to take the cup, except Devils fans, MacWilliam gets tossed from the game that’s us 1 man down, step up Mr Nicky Chinn from Dinas Powis, now Nicky was always a big game player, but this was the league winners at Manchester, so who thought this local lad was going to score a hat trick, but that’s exactly what happened and we destroyed them 5 - 0, yes 5 Zilch, so it’s on to the final where we win 2-1 against the Panthers, what a weekend.

kingmo19.1

Good shout Wannabe for your first game (v Knights) I was deliberating whether to also include that in my list yesterday (so many good games to chose from).

What a great player Chinny was, productive and very physical. One of the best brits ever. Fans rave about Faryna, but Chinny in his era was a different class. If he was around today, he’d certainly put a lot of bums on seats.

Wannabe2

Good shout Wannabe for your first game (v Knights) I was deliberating whether to also include that in my list yesterday (so many good games to chose from).

What a great player Chinny was, productive and very physical. One of the best brits ever. Fans rave about Faryna, but Chinny in his era was a different class. If he was around today, he’d certainly put a lot of bums on seats.
yep as you say tough call, so many great memories to try to pick 3, I mean I have left out the Racers final at Wembley what’s that about. As you say Chinny was a beaut, good player, tough as hell, could hit, and his Mam was also awesome. Good thread this ,just a tough call to make, but that Knights game was killer.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #14
Yeah Chinny on the ice had a swagger of arrogance about him towards his opponents which got right under their skin but in reality he was a down to earth guy and had time for the fans.

Gazr76

1. Versus London Knights at the WNIR, we went 5-0 down and were being owned, you could have heard a pin drop the crowd were really pissed off. Then Chinny has a fight with a Knights player, Rushford I think and he beat the crap out of him, that fight was exactly what was needed to turn the game, next thing 5-1, then 5-2, then 5-3 now the crowd are exploding and it’s getting tense knights coach McSorely is going ape, then it’s 5-4 and the roof is about to fly off the rink, then 5-5 now it’s manic, then Thornton picks up the puck feeds it to Sacratini who roofs it, we win 6-5 and the place is manic, what a game.
I was there that night and will never forget it for as long as I live. What a game!!

Wannabe2

I was there that night and will never forget it for as long as I live. What a game!!
Wasn’t it untrue buddy, McSorely on the London bench was going ballistic, the Knights players didn’t know what hit them, the crowd could be heard in the London Arena. We all have some Great memories and rightly so,but to be 5-0 down and playing garbage to turn that thing around was nothing short of a Miracle On Ice, and it all began with a good old hockey fight, stay safe guys and again great thread Kev. Lots more to come guys.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #20
Well we needed something to keep us going and this gets the cogs working and can look back on some great games whatever era. Enjoying reading the choices so far.