Is the 6th man close to being on two weeks notice?

Gazza272

Thread starter #1
I was in the tent on Sunday evening watching Voth give Knight a good pasting to the delight of 1500 fans in the tent, all off of their feet and all of them screaming and cheering. It was great my adrenaline was pumping, and when i woke up monday morning was throat was shot to bits and i could hardly talk until today (a god send for some people i would say :D )

Then it struck me, this was by far the loudest i had heard the Tent in the two home games we have had this season, and the more i thought about it the more i felt the Tent has been a little, well flat on the chanting stakes.

The drummers do a fantastic job, and at most oppurtunities attempt to get something going, but looking around most dont want to see to join in. And it's little things we can do to get it going imo, to make Hockey night in Cardiff perfect, really look at what we have there on a match night.

Good music? - check

Good productions on the screens? - Check

Good intro? - check

Good team? - check

After all that i feel all of us need to give that little more in chanting and support, at times on sunday i could hear the players giving insturctions, something which i didnt think i would ever hear in the home league game, and the reason isnt we havnet got people in the seats and by the plexi, we have plenty.

It is difficult to know what to do, but to start with i was thinking just little things, like some USA chants for Jay, which the guys in block 2 usually start but no one helps them out, and some Jarvo chants for Jarvis whcih again the block 2 guys start but everyone seems happy to let them carry the can, a whole rink of people joining in with this could have some real impact to the game night imo.

So i guess this thread leaves open a few questions, what do you personally do on a match night to get some atmosphere going? what do you think we can do to get the tent rocking most games (obviously some games will be flat if the team is giving us no reason to shout) And have you felt the games have been a bit flat lately?

Sorry if this seems like a negative post, i just think we are fan participation away from having the best match night experience in the entire league.

Gazza272 said:
So i guess this thread leaves open a few questions, what do you personally do on a match night to get some atmosphere going? what do you think we can do to get the tent rocking most games (obviously some games will be flat if the team is giving us no reason to shout) And have you felt the games have been a bit flat lately?
Bit of variety in the chants maybe, like the USA chant when Jay scores. The only thing most people seems to join in with is just the Devils clap clap clap.

I always join in myself but I'm quite shy so when no one around me joins in, it feels like I'm chanting by myself so I tend to drift off and just clap. :lol:

Sheincar

Move all the noisy people into block 2 - seems like that's where the action is!! I usually get home with raw palms and a sore throat but a feeling that I've done my bit.

Great thread Gazza. Like you, I think we have the best atmosphere in the league, but we can make it even more special IMO.

One thing that might help is a few new chants. Perhaps we could have a new section on the forum for this, but I'll start it off here.

My first suggestion may be a little controversial, but I think it would be great.

1 - I'm a huge fan of the Bison's chant when they score. Simple, but effective.

Drums go - da da, crowd shouts goal. It's basically the 'we will rock you beat' exept we shout goal instead on the third beat.

The Bison drummers do this when they come and support us and I don't think they'd mind us adopting it as we're now in different leagues. This is a quality chant IMO and would really rub the opposition's noses in it when we score.

We could then do the traditional Devils chant after this. All of a sudden we're creating noise for twice as long after a goal.

2 - Yes everyone should get involved in the 'USA' and 'Jarvo' chants. I'm sure the individual players love to hear personalised chants.

3 - We could also do with at least one song for each away team.

Here's a few suggetsions for the Steelers this weekend (to the tune of you are my sunshine)

'We hate you Steelers,
Coz you are squeelers
Your always moaning win, draw or lose

But we have Phil Hill
And we are Devils
That means we'll always be better than you.

And another (to the tune of Addams family);

Your captain was a Devil,
Your coach was once a Devil,
Your owner was a Devil,
But your not having me,
da na na na YOU SUCK!
etc

And finally; remember to get the Danger-Knee chants out when Randy's on the puck. Oh and 'Shanker is a Bison' - that gets under their skin!

OK I'm not much of a lyricist, but hopefully this gets us going until some better ones come along :D

Finally -remember guys - it's strength in numbers. The more of us that chant, the more people will start feeling silly if they're not chanting. :D

Your owner was a Devil,
But your not having me,
da na na na YOU SUCK!
etc

That is awesome!!

I've worked my arse off at the back of Block 2 trying to get the troops going since we entered the tent.

We regulary go home with sore throats and more often than not the response from the majority is not forthcoming.

I dont know what the answer is but what I do know is that fan participation lifts teams. Fan non participation deflates teams.

We currenty have the best team we have seen for many years and coupled with the best fans we could have a great season. BUT the best fans have to get off their backsides and prove they are the best by working for the team.

Its an old cliche but....

THERE IS NO I IN TEAM.

Chris

Administrator
Sounds like a plan!

I'm wondering if to try and get things moving at first, we could adopt some 'simple' chants like the goal one mentioned above by Soundwave.

Might be an idea to try and introduce a couple of new ones across the season, try and get people joining in :)

I'm looking at the Devils drummers now who lurk in the forums depths, would you guys have any thoughts?

Chris.

drainage

Soundwave said:
Great thread Gazza. Like you, I think we have the best atmosphere in the league, but we can make it even more special IMO.

One thing that might help is a few new chants. Perhaps we could have a new section on the forum for this, but I'll start it off here.

My first suggestion may be a little controversial, but I think it would be great.

1 - I'm a huge fan of the Bison's chant when they score. Simple, but effective.

Drums go - da da, crowd shouts goal. It's basically the 'we will rock you beat' exept we shout goal instead on the third beat.

The Bison drummers do this when they come and support us and I don't think they'd mind us adopting it as we're now in different leagues. This is a quality chant IMO and would really rub the opposition's noses in it when we score.

We could then do the traditional Devils chant after this. All of a sudden we're creating noise for twice as long after a goal.

2 - Yes everyone should get involved in the 'USA' and 'Jarvo' chants. I'm sure the individual players love to hear personalised chants.

3 - We could also do with at least one song for each away team.

Here's a few suggetsions for the Steelers this weekend (to the tune of you are my sunshine)

'We hate you Steelers,
Coz you are squeelers
Your always moaning win, draw or lose

But we have Phil Hill
And we are Devils
That means we'll always be better than you.

Your owner was a Devil,
But your not having me,
da na na na YOU SUCK!
etc

And finally; remember to get the Danger-Knee chants out when Randy's on the puck. Oh and 'Shanker is a Bison' - that gets under their skin!

OK I'm not much of a lyricist, but hopefully this gets us going until some better ones come along :D

Finally -remember guys - it's strength in numbers. The more of us that chant, the more people will start feeling silly if they're not chanting. :D

takes me back a good few years when we really had some great times chanting and baiting teams - those were the days !!

Chris said:
Sounds like a plan!

I'm wondering if to try and get things moving at first, we could adopt some 'simple' chants like the goal one mentioned above by Soundwave.

Might be an idea to try and introduce a couple of new ones across the season, try and get people joining in :)

I'm looking at the Devils drummers now who lurk in the forums depths, would you guys have any thoughts?

Chris.
Ahh The Goal Chant. See We did start doing that towards the end of last Season and for some reason it just disappeared over the off-season. Any suggestions are welcome to all of us up there :) Just come along anytime before the game and we'll have a bash at it at some point :)

I like the USA idea. And The Jarvo one sounds excellent. Come See me sometime on Saturday :)
I'm usually in a Red Thomson Devils Jersey (Challenge Cup Winning Year)

Thanks For the Feedback guys
Sean

I've noticed how different Nottigham's chants sound - more masculine and therefore (sorry ladies) sounds louder or at least comes across with more impact. Feels like the guys at the tent have lost their voice sometimes (with the exception of block 2 of course - keep it going guys).

Maybe because our drumming is so good, we don't feel the need to chant?

Whatever the reason, I agree something should be done. Half an idea coming up:

Open training session at the rink. Devils fans invited to try out some new chants... Club can charge a pound or three and make some money as well. People could even get up and have a bit of a 'chant karaoke' (Rhythm?) and then the crowd could join in and see what it sounds like. The players could even give their feedback. You never know maybe Vother will have some of his own ideas (...he can compose some in his spare time over the next few weeks :twisted: )

One other point - I was watching the New York Giants game on the weekend. At key points in the game, the players called for more crowd involvement. Maybe that could be arranged? If one of the players does the Ayotollah, it's a sign for fans to go nuts.

Hi Everyone! Mark from The Bison Drummers here.The "goal" chant We use was actually "nicked" from the Bracknell Bees! Im sure We did it with The Devils Drummers when We supported You guys last season? It gets all the fans involved and here in Basingstoke its very popular! As the previous post mention,it is to Queens "we will rock you".We have Our first league game this Saturday against Manchester Phoenix ,but will be down to support You guys very soon!

I alwasy get funny looks from block 10 and sponsors area. I can always here myself chant and I don't like it!!

We need to keep new chants simple so people who don't read the forum can pick it up simply by just listening.

Another thing too - I love drums at hockey but sometimes as we have so many of them, when fans chant all drums are being hit to the max and sometimes drowns out the chants and people stop. Im not saying stop drumming at all.

I'm on night shifts tonight so see if theres anything I can come up with.

Merthyr Devil said:
Gazza272 said:
Bit of variety in the chants maybe, like the USA chant when Jay scores. The only thing most people seems to join in with is just the Devils clap clap clap.

I always join in myself but I'm quite shy so when no one around me joins in, it feels like I'm chanting by myself so I tend to drift off and just clap. :lol:
Im sorry, I didn't like the USA chant. Im all for chanting players names, but i don't like country chants and if people are going to go down this route, this would include every player so :- Canada, USA, Kazackstan, Wales, England etc etc

Not devils related but funny ones i found on a hockey forum!!

For the refs:

Zebra zebra short and stout....
find your head and pull it out...

I'm blind, i'm deaf, i wanna be a ref. <---- Love it!! :lol:

i think the key is all down to the rest of the fans joining in, most often or not when we do get somethhing going it dies down within say 30 seconds, there's only so much us drummers can do and when you hear the whole arena shouting it dose sound awesome, im with sean on this 1 if anyone has any suggestions then come up and have a chat and we'll try work something out :)

ricky

Rempel16

RichardR said:
Merthyr Devil said:
Gazza272 said:

Im sorry, I didn't like the USA chant. Im all for chanting players names, but i don't like country chants and if people are going to go down this route, this would include every player so :- Canada, USA, Kazackstan, Wales, England etc etc
I can understand and respect your opinion rich, but when we first did the USA chant in back of block 2, Jay reacted to us and joined in, so it has stuck. Even Saturday after the trouble, we started it as he was pretty much the collective MOM up there and he responded again so if he enjoys it, then where's the harm?

The Jarvo chant is excellent as it is really simple to use, and that one does seem to be spreading round the rink slowly.

The Bison 'goal' chant is definitely worth go, so when (not if!) we score Saturday we shall certainly get that going in block 2, and the drummers can start it down their end to get the whole rink involved.

Also has been used in the past is 'Phil Hill is my hero, Phil Hill is my hero la la la la', which admittedly was used in an ironic sense originally, but this statement has snowballed into truth over the last season or so!

As for sheffield, like Soundwave mentioned, there is the 'Danger-knee' chant, we should definitely do the Addams family one as a collective, there is also 'Dirty dirty squeelers', 'Basiuk is a chicken'. Unfortunately the Jody and Ashley chants will have to go but I'm sure one of their players will cause a new song to be sung!

Maybe something for Sarich along the lines of 'Power forward, you're having a laugh' or the classic as pulled out last season... 'where's your brother, where's your brother, playing in the NHL, playing in the N H L!!!!!'

There was always lots of fun in Coventry games too with 'Lewis is a chicken' and 'Tyson Teplitsky, said no to Coventry' as well as (aimed at Corey Leclair), 'You've only got a job cos Tyson signed for us!'

Koop11

eastsidedevil said:

Your owner was a Devil,
But your not having me,
da na na na YOU SUCK!
etc

That is awesome!!
Fair play, that is fantsctic.

ASHIPP

Here's some easy ones for all Devils fans to learn....

1. Hey Baby Song tune

Heeeeyyyy Hey Baby (oooh, aah) (or replace Baby with Devils)
I wanna knoooow if you're gonna score

Heeeeyyy Hey Baby (oooh, aah)
I wanna knoooow if you're gooona score

2. Conga Song tune

We all love the Dev-ils
We all love the Dev-ils
Na Na Na Na
Na Na Na Na

3. Delilah (Tom Jones) tune

This one's for Matt Miller!

Goal, goal , goal, Matt Miller
Goal, goal , goal, Matt Miller
And, when he scores
The goalie can't take anymore
Matt Miller's the man
To give us the points on the board

Drumming team - how you come up with suitable beats for those songs I don't know! But these are easy chants for the whole crowd to sing. Can the announcer help us along by giving us a prompt?

TheStub

I think a big part of the problem is the soft walls of the tent. Whenever I've been in there, I have been struck by how much of the chants are lost. It is hard to chant when you are struggling to sync with everyone else - not like the WNIR :(

The big problem here is disseminating chants around the arena.

I did have the idea a while back (as a publicity thing for the Inferno) of doing a 'hymn sheet'. A single sheet, that we pass out at a game. Include easy, general ones to get people going.

As long as we don't go using too many Cardiff City chants, and assuming that everyone knows them ;) Remember I am a Swan, and can't be the only City hater :p

Also - how about getting some of the international day favourites in? "Hymns and Arias" always goes down a treat :D