Injury updates

jimmy snels

Thread starter #1
As a fan who litrally comes to games to watch and has very little by way of interaction with the players/management its sometimes makes you feel like a bit of a mushroom when someone is missing from the line up and u dont know why.
Steve is on here a lot so if you read this Mr King could you ask Todd to do some player status updates if they are likely to be missing for the games? as i said on another thread i litrally require as an example "likely to miss 3 weeks with an upper body injury". i know the people who sit with me have again discussed this this week so there must be a good few others thinking "wheres (justin in this case) in the line up?" You can put a positive spin on it as well. for example "with Richardson likely to miss 3 weeks craig moore is likely to see more ice time as a great utility player and toms rutkis continue his development and bringing energy as a 4th line forward".

Just a thought.

matbur

Definitely, couldn't agree more with this. Good post.

I think the league as a whole should be more transparent to fans with player availability.

The teams themselves will most likely know from the grapevine who's healthy and who's injured so I don't get the secrecy.

An official response would be most welcome on this!

Wannabe2

Teams have never wanted to air their injuries to other teams, and quite rightly so, player A is just coming back from a shoulder injury, so player B is checking his shoulder big time. Teams never release info about themselves

matbur

That's nonsense though. The teams will have a good enough idea as to who'll be playing. Coaches, players do talk mind!

They don't mention specific areas hence the phrases 'upper' or 'lower body' being used as a description of the injury status.

If the NHL and other leagues do it, I really don't think the EIHL is above doing it - that's why I said the league collectively needs to improve this info.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

I’m not 100% but the game roaster is made available to opposition coaches before the game, If I’m wrong, it’ll be pretty obvious to the coaches either that night or by watching previous games.

jimmy snels

Thread starter #7
Teams have never wanted to air their injuries to other teams, and quite rightly so, player A is just coming back from a shoulder injury, so player B is checking his shoulder big time. Teams never release info about themselves
i dont think i could have been any clearer but will try again in case its the way i wrote it. i Dont want any specifics at all. just that player A is likely to be out for a few weeks with a virus/minor injury etc so when i turn up i have a mild understanding of why someone is not in the line up. if we were to get a spare import i wouldnt mind it being included that all are fit and "Lord has a selection head ache with all players fit and healthy" etc. in a pre game post.

reality wise as soon as farayna and richie missed this weekend everyone knows we have injuries anyhow. so if farayna is out for months just say.

RTfarty

That's nonsense though. The teams will have a good enough idea as to who'll be playing. Coaches, players do talk mind!

They don't mention specific areas hence the phrases 'upper' or 'lower body' being used as a description of the injury status.

If the NHL and other leagues do it, I really don't think the EIHL is above doing it - that's why I said the league collectively needs to improve this info.
I think the difference with the NHL, Premier League football etc. is the gulf in media attention and investigative journalism. Teams don't go out of their way to provide injury updates unless someone is likely to miss long periods of the season. Instead, coaches and players are hounded by journalists hence the "lower body 1-2 weeks" statements. This doesn't exist in the EIHL.

Having said that, an official statement on Faryna would be ideal given the reports on here, although I expect that will be addressed if we are to bring in another player soon.

matbur

If we all know Faryna is likely to be out until Xmas, then so will every other team we face between now and then.

I appreciate there isn't the same intensity of coverage as in the NHL, but as I said in my first post, teams should be more transparent with this as they will all know anyway.

Players in the league know each other and talk throughout the season. Other teams will know our injuries and we will know theirs. I don't believe all this targeting rubbish that always rolled out. Like the players have time to think, 'oh that's Justin Faryna skating at me there I better take out his left shoulder because he was injured there two months ago and might still be carrying an injury and I hopefully might injure him. Forget the refs, DOPS, respect for a fellow pro and my positional play'. It doesn't happen. The player is thinking how best to play in that moment.

Or do we think the opposition coaches write a list out on their play board of 'targets' and where to target a particular player?

I can picture it now:

Richardson - dodgy big toe, left foot.
Faryna - weak right wrist.
Blood - big nose, doesn't like it being touched.
Myers - left hand, little fingernail broken.

Forget your neutral zone trap, 1-3-1 powerplay, 1-4 forecheck, these are your targets - go get em boys!

terry hunt

Players in the league know each other and talk throughout the season. Other teams will know our injuries and we will know theirs. I don't believe all this targeting rubbish that always rolled out. Like the players have time to think, 'oh that's Justin Faryna skating at me there I better take out his left shoulder because he was injured there two months ago and might still be carrying an injury and I hopefully might injure him. Forget the refs, DOPS, respect for a fellow pro and my positional play'. It doesn't happen. The player is thinking how best to play in that moment.

Or do we think the opposition coaches write a list out on their play board of 'targets' and where to target a particular player?

I can picture it now:

Richardson - dodgy big toe, left foot.
Faryna - weak right wrist.
Blood - big nose, doesn't like it being touched.
Myers - left hand, little fingernail broken.

Forget your neutral zone trap, 1-3-1 powerplay, 1-4 forecheck, these are your targets - go get em boys!
I think you are being a bit naive.Have you forgotten Tyson Marsh already.In the old days Dampier used to employ Perry Doyle specially for this purpose.
Finnerty using Hendrix the same.

I think you are being a bit naive.Have you forgotten Tyson Marsh already.In the old days Dampier used to employ Perry Doyle specially for this purpose.
Finnerty using Hendrix the same.
Have you forgotten Tyson Marsh? Because he certainly wasn't targeted because he had an injury. An injury was the result of it, yes, but he was targeted because in Nottingham and Jansen's opinion he put a bad hit in. When he came back from injury did anyone target his head? If he did you would have a point.

And are you saying Finnerty sent out Hendrikx to deliberately target injured players? That is a pretty bold statement. Both played the game on the edge but I can assure you neither of these targeted an injured player with the intention of causing further injury.

Perry Doyle was a goon, but I don't remember him taking out players with knee injuries with a knee on knee, or players with bad wrists with a slash.

I think you are being naïve in associating players who enforce with deliberate attempts to injure players carrying a knock. Two completely different things.