Increased activity outside IAW …..

Finny

I suspect a strong correlation with cathays being student city. It'd be interesting to see some age distribution data on new infections.
Found it, sort of:
Cases in Cardiff for last 7 days by age group:
Under 25: 99
Over 65: 10
So 26-65 (if my maths is right): 49

moggy#9

With negativity like that, you should be working in the Senedd (sorry, I did mention no more politics). We have to break this mindset in the UK about case numbers, which is not easy as we've had them rammed down our throats from all angles in the media this past 16 months or so. We're surge testing asymptomatic people now as well, numbers are bound to go up. If hospitalisations and deaths follow the same trend, go up significantly and pressure is on the NHS, then I’m with you, let me be clear about that - but they’re not increasing in the same way as of now and that’s a very good indication that the vaccines are working - and IF that continues to be the case in the next few weeks, why wouldn’t there be any hockey?

The TV presenter, Andrew Marr, is a good case in point demonstrating what we're currently seeing - he was vaccinated twice and still tested positive, with symptoms like “a summer cold” as he put it. Not pleasant I’m sure, but no different to what most of us have to go through every year with other respiratory illnesses. That's the vaccines doing their job right there. They are largely preventing serious illness which require a hospital stay and if it means that you’re unlucky enough to get it after being fully vaccinated and that future symptoms if you’ve been vaccinated, are more “cold-like” for the vast majority (as seems to be the case with kids and younger adults too), then I can live with that and surely that‘s not a reason to stop what we love doing? Vaccination is the key and people who are fully vaccinated should be safe to get on with their lives - and by mid July that should be virtually all of the adult population (well those who want it anyway) - and if anyone doesn’t, that’s their choice but the rest of society will be moving on. If vaccine efficacy changes against future variants, then obviously we'll have to think again but there’s no sign of that at the moment.
I'm doubtful that everyone will be covered for a second jab by mid July. Probably more like late August. I'm in my early 50s and I've only just had notification of my second jab in a couple of weeks time - but my health authority seems to be lagging behind Cardiff and the vale.

Hedd Wyn John

The issue is not what cases are today. The issue is what cases are going to be in 2 weeks, or 4 weeks or 2 months time.
Throughout the pandemic things get bad very quickly, and get better very slowly.

Cases are rising throughout the U.K. very quickly. Very, very quickly.
In the North West of England where the Delta outbreak originated, hospital admissions, ICU admissions and deaths all started to rise quickly too.
Twice in the last week they’ve reported 10 deaths in a day. Just three weeks ago it was averaging 2 a day.

There are signs that they’re increasing slower than before but this could change very quickly.

Who decides how many deaths a day are acceptable?
We simply don't know what cases will be I 2,3 or 4 weeks time. Nobody will ever kno that. If thats a reason not to unlock we never will. Cases in England & Scotland might be a concern but in Wales our cases are much lower. 10 deaths in a day might sound a lot but between 1400-1600 people die every day in the UK. In normal years its not unusual for flu to kill 60 people a day (more in winter & less in summer) . So if we decide that we cannot unlock when we are at 10 deaths a death then realistically we are never going to unlock.

moggy#9

We simply don't know what cases will be I 2,3 or 4 weeks time. Nobody will ever kno that. If thats a reason not to unlock we never will. Cases in England & Scotland might be a concern but in Wales our cases are much lower. 10 deaths in a day might sound a lot but between 1400-1600 people die every day in the UK. In normal years its not unusual for flu to kill 60 people a day (more in winter & less in summer) . So if we decide that we cannot unlock when we are at 10 deaths a death then realistically we are never going to unlock.
This is a whole different argument about the validity of the model which is used to predict these things. Clearly vaccination seems to have mitigated the effect on the most at risk. What I suspect isn't modelled well is the differing attitudes between age groups, and their risk profiles in terms of their activities. Given that schools finish in a few weeks, that'll undoubtedly alter the way the virus spreads among teen-agers who might have been bubbled whilst in school.

BostonBart22

The situation is this: we are in the height of summer & we have had record vaccinations. Yesterday we recorded 416 cases across Wales. If Welsh Government thinks that's too high to unlock then we have a problem, if 416 cases is too high to unlock then what happens come winter when cases will probably rise again?

The reality is any amount of unlocking will cause cases to increase (not just covid but other respiratory infections too) and some of those people will sadly die as a result of those infections. But if we cannot unlock now with 416 cases in a country of 3,100,000 then what will Welsh Government do when cases shoot up again come winter?

Locking down to protect the NHS makes perfect sense, but the NHS is nowhere near danger. Keeping lockdown restrictions in order to stop cases rising, taken to its logical conclusion means we cannot fully unlock ever, and that means no ice hockey ever.
I know one thing if the govt tell me to stay home this xmas they can get stuffed especially after Hancock's antics
Just heard on the radio that the roof is going to be shut at Wimbledon and still allowing spectators in. So what is the difference now between that and a ice rink. It’s all becoming a my dog is bigger than your dog competition with these governments!
Just heard on the radio that the roof is going to be shut at Wimbledon and still allowing spectators in. So what is the difference now between that and a ice rink. It’s all becoming a my dog is bigger than your dog competition with these governments!
plus it will be full capacity for the finals...sucks

The TV presenter, Andrew Marr, is a good case in point demonstrating what we're currently seeing - he was vaccinated twice and still tested positive, with symptoms like “a summer cold” as he put it. Not pleasant I’m sure, but no different to what most of us have to go through every year with other respiratory illnesses. That's the vaccines doing their job right there.

This right here. All 3 of us as a family had both vaccine jabs 4 weeks ago. We followed as best we could, local restrictions in Belfast. All 3 of us caught the virus 2 weeks ago, Delta variant. My wife and I are both 52, my daughter 19 and type 1 diabetic. The vaccine did what is was supposed to do. Prevented hospital intervention. Covid is a nasty little sod and not pleasant at all, however, the tools to move forward are with us. Felt like a really bad flu, but no worse. Time for local government to stop hiding behind every cough and sneeze.

moggy#9

The TV presenter, Andrew Marr, is a good case in point demonstrating what we're currently seeing - he was vaccinated twice and still tested positive, with symptoms like “a summer cold” as he put it. Not pleasant I’m sure, but no different to what most of us have to go through every year with other respiratory illnesses. That's the vaccines doing their job right there.

This right here. All 3 of us as a family had both vaccine jabs 4 weeks ago. We followed as best we could, local restrictions in Belfast. All 3 of us caught the virus 2 weeks ago, Delta variant. My wife and I are both 52, my daughter 19 and type 1 diabetic. The vaccine did what is was supposed to do. Prevented hospital intervention. Covid is a nasty little sod and not pleasant at all, however, the tools to move forward are with us. Felt like a really bad flu, but no worse. Time for local government to stop hiding behind every cough and sneeze.
I'm glad the jab did it's job and that you and your family are safe. If only the refuseniks could be persuaded we'd all be a lot better off.

BostonBart22

Spot on with your post, I had covid in december, and my thoughts was it was just a bout of winter flu but a test put it down as covid, that was before any jabs but have had my 2 now.

moggy#9

Ok, interested to know ….

Of those people on here that have had their 2 jabs, would you feel comfortable sitting back in the IAW with a capacity crowd of people who can also evidence they have had their 2 jabs ?

It’s a Yes from me.
I think that a belt and braces (masks, more entrances to avoid crowding etc) approach would be in order to minimise risk as far as possible, but generally (once I've had my second jab) yes. That said, I'd probably avoid the bar.

mjh

I'd be happy to be back in the arena. I'm low risk and would want to anyway as I love being at the games. Nothing beats it! Sorry to hear the poster above had been unwell. Hope all is good now for you and the family.

rocketbob

Of those people on here that have had their 2 jabs, would you feel comfortable sitting back in the IAW with a capacity crowd of people who can also evidence they have had their 2 jabs ?

It’s a Yes from me.
That would be a yes from me too. I have regularly attended motorsports events in the past and they have an element of risk as a spectator and there are disclaimers on the tickets to say that you are willing to accept this level of risk. If they needed to do this for the hockey then I would be fine with it.

pjj365

It’s a Yes from me.
No but only because the medics ( that's those treating me not in general terms) have advised caution until it is known what is happening with the booster

Without that is would be a yes