Increased activity outside IAW …..

Diablo3

Franny’s Twitter feed is worth a read. 4 tweets highlighting the sheer incompetence of this government in their decision making. They don’t give a shit. All they are interested in is political points scoring and control.
And it's clear that the Welsh government haven't been talking to IAW as they claim. It's just a pack of lies. If the closure really is the result of their scientific advisors, then they need new ones as no-one else in the world agrees with them.

august04 2.0

Devil94

Case numbers are increasing but the most vulnerable in Wales are protected and that’s why hospitalisations and deaths still remain very low. Drakeford keeps banging on that we’re 3 weeks behind England and Scotland but hospitalisations and deaths are still low there too, despite increasing case numbers. That’s why both those countries have the confidence to have given dates to end restrictions, allowing businesses to try to prepare for normality again. The link between case numbers and hospitalisations has been broken. Do we publicise how many people catch other respiratory viruses or other illnesses every day, like we still obsessively do with this virus? No, we don’t. It’s time to get on with life. If the NHS was under pressure (as was supposed to be the whole reason anyway for the initial lockdown), I’d have a different opinion and might agree more with you, but that is simply not the case now given the successful vaccination roll out. This reduction in our civil liberties is just not acceptable anymore. For those who don’t agree, then you have the choice to stay locked away.
As they have found out over the border, dates mean nothing. Businesses were preparing to open up normally for June 21st, festivals were planned, events organised, only for them to be pushed back a month, messing them around big time. Broken promise after broken promise. They have given a new date which businesses are planning for again, but realistically the chances of everything in England going from where they are now to completely normal in 4 weeks time are tiny.

Todd himself said that it would be disastrous if they prepared everything to open the arena, then they had to close it again. "Data not dates" is the line used by the leaders in every country in the UK, but it seems that it's only Wales that's sticking to that. Waiting that little bit until they're sure it's safe to open seems sensible to me.

august04 2.0

Todd himself said that it would be disastrous if they prepared everything to open the arena, then they had to close it again. "Data not dates" is the line used by the leaders in every country in the UK, but it seems that it's only Wales that's sticking to that. Waiting that little bit until they're sure it's safe to open seems sensible to me.
So please enlighten me - what “data” are they using to keep IAW closed? It’s clear they are not even engaging with IAW, despite what they’ve publicly said.
Even the lefties are struggling to defend this lot with this one!

Last edited:

Diablo3

To be fair to England, they did say the 21st June was not set in stone and they would have to review the data before hand. Hence the 5 week gap. I would be amazed if they didn't remove all restrictions on the 19th July because the cases/ hospitalisations link has been broken. At some point you have to open up and live with it.

All the Welsh government are doing is avoiding telling people when life will return to normal. Then they can claim they got it right when someone else makes the decision for them. If they are not careful, people will take it in to their own hands and just ignore them as being irrelevant.

Todd has already said they are taking the decision on their own as they can't rely on the Welsh government to get it right. it takes 6 weeks to open the arena so we have to start laying the ice pretty soon.

august04 2.0

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #188
I sincerely hope not anymore. As Franny previously commented on this TAG report “you could drive a Zamboni through the holes in this outdated “evidence””. They’re even quoting pressure on A&E from injuries as a reason to keep IAW closed in that drivel - yet outdoor sports are now being played in large numbers again. It’s pathetic.
Agreed, totally and utterly pathetic.

The original driver for Government was to protect the NHS. The NHS is under no pressure whatsoever at the moment. I can hardly see it being swamped countrywide by a few members of the public losing their balance on the ice in the IAW and incurring an injury!

I can hardly see it also being responsible for driving cases to be a threat to the NHS.

Jeez, if the Senedd are that worried then stipulate that users of the IAW must provide proof of a double jab.

We’ve all done our bit in protecting the NHS. We’re all doing our bit by getting jabbed.

So stop moving the goalposts Drakeford and get the IAW open again!

The people who work there are dependent on those jobs. You are messing around unnecessarily with people’s financial futures. You are also persecuting people’s mental health with your stubbornness. Show some true leadership, do the right thing and re-open it. You are being unnecessarily cautious with no proof to your stance. That is not leadership, that is a trait of decision paralysis and you were elected to make sensible decisions for the good of Wales and it’s people. You are not doing this at present.

Last edited:

Finny

It’s time to get on with life. If the NHS was under pressure (as was supposed to be the whole reason anyway for the initial lockdown), I’d have a different opinion and might agree more with you, but that is simply not the case now given the successful vaccination roll out. This reduction in our civil liberties is just not acceptable anymore. For those who don’t agree, then you have the choice to stay locked away.
It’s not that simple though is it.
Whenever I see comments like this I wonder if the person saying it is being selfish or they just don’t understand what’s happening.

The vaccine doesn’t suddenly make everything fine.
Once you've had the two doses of the vaccine:
1. You are less likely to catch it.
2. If you do catch it you are a lot less likely to be seriously ill with it.
3. You are less likely to pass it on.

So if you catch it you might not be unwell but you might pass it on to someone who then does become ill, or who hasn’t had the vaccine yet, or is high risk and the vaccine hasn’t protected them etc.

The vaccine works brilliantly when cases are low and a high proportion of the population are vaccinated. Unfortunately cases are rising and we don’t have that high a proportion vaccinated. Especially children who are spreading it quickly now thanks to the Delta variant.

How many people calling for an end to restrictions were rubbishing suggestions of a second wave last year?

What if this current third wave continues to see cases rise and rise and we start to see hospitalisations and deaths rise? NHS staff can’t just opt to stay locked away. They have to keep themselves on the front line at risk, just as others such as teachers, police, supermarket workers etc.

The frustrating thing is it didn’t have to be this way. 2 month ago everything was looking great. Cases were coming down quickly and we were looking like being back to normal by August.

But when cases started to rise in India Boris Johnson refused to put it on the red list. By the time he did the Delta variant was already in the U.K. A variant that has a higher rate of infection, a higher rate of hospitalisation, a higher rate of transmission amongst children and requires a person to have had both doses for the vaccine to have an affect.

2 weeks of hesitancy has probably delayed us by two months. And all because Boris Johnson wanted a jolly to India.

If only we didn’t have the worst people in charge of the U.K. at the worst possible time.

august04 2.0

So if you catch it you might not be unwell but you might pass it on to someone who then does become ill, or who hasn’t had the vaccine yet, or is high risk and the vaccine hasn’t protected them etc.
The vaccine works brilliantly when cases are low and a high proportion of the population are vaccinated. Unfortunately cases are rising and we don’t have that high a proportion vaccinated. Especially children who are spreading it quickly now thanks to the Delta variant.
So what do you want to do, hide away forever? Whether we like it or not, travel will be opening up soon, and there will inevitably be more variants. But as of now, the vaccines have been highly effective against them. Until that changes, we have to get on with our lives. In Wales, we’re in excess of 90+ % fully vaccinated for 7 of the first 10 higher risk groups. The 3 groups not in excess of 90% fully vaccinated, are all 80% plus. Those 10 groups include everyone over 60, health/care workers, and people 16-64 with underlying health conditions. To add to that, 78% of the 50-59 group have been fully vaccinated. So it’s very clear that the people most vulnerable (including those very brave workers on the front line in our hospitals) are not going to get better protected than they are now (unless new variants down the line need us to have booster jabs). Yes, you’ll still get some people who become ill and sadly die - but that happens with other respiratory illnesses like flu and pneumonia (which could be more of a problem than COVID in the winter, with fewer people mixing together this past 18 months). You are never going to eliminate that. Even in the lowest adult group aged 18-29, 70% have received a first dose, which will offer a level of protection against hospitalisation and serious illness. And kids are not getting seriously ill in general terms with this virus thankfully. So don’t peddle crap like “we don’t have that high a proportion vaccinated”. With nonsense like that, you could be a spokesman for Drakeford!

Last edited:

davew

Time to take the emotion and party politics away from the thread. The guardian is reporting that scientists have erred on the side of caution following the release of the test events report. They highlight that TOO FEW PCR tests were taken both before and after the events to ensure that the results are as they read. Moreover, when these events were held they were held when infection rates were declining or bottoming out before the latest "wave" has hit. Over 18000 cases today with larger hospitalisation and ICU take up as well as deaths.

Whilst i think that the FM has been too cautious when it comes to professional Ice sport training, the questions directed to him were eroneously worded as to do with "public" skating.

The report that was linked t the thread is quite clear, and unless PHW and its scientists can cite reports showing the venue to be safer, then i can't see it opening to the public/supporters anytime soon.

As an ST holder, whose money as been held by the club, I would be happy for them to use my money to start the season as the NHL etc did last year - fanless - I really want and miss our sport, but the health and wellbeing of the whole of our society must come before "individual" freedoms.

Don't forget that the more infections occur the more likely a new variant is to be found. The more new variants that appear then it is more likely that a vaccine reisistant variant will occur and spread and we will all be back to square one.

Drakeford might be a pain, but a softly soflty approach is the best approach.

Hedd Wyn John

Time to take the emotion and party politics away from the thread. The guardian is reporting that scientists have erred on the side of caution following the release of the test events report. They highlight that TOO FEW PCR tests were taken both before and after the events to ensure that the results are as they read. Moreover, when these events were held they were held when infection rates were declining or bottoming out before the latest "wave" has hit. Over 18000 cases today with larger hospitalisation and ICU take up as well as deaths.

Whilst i think that the FM has been too cautious when it comes to professional Ice sport training, the questions directed to him were eroneously worded as to do with "public" skating.

The report that was linked t the thread is quite clear, and unless PHW and its scientists can cite reports showing the venue to be safer, then i can't see it opening to the public/supporters anytime soon.

As an ST holder, whose money as been held by the club, I would be happy for them to use my money to start the season as the NHL etc did last year - fanless - I really want and miss our sport, but the health and wellbeing of the whole of our society must come before "individual" freedoms.

Don't forget that the more infections occur the more likely a new variant is to be found. The more new variants that appear then it is more likely that a vaccine reisistant variant will occur and spread and we will all be back to square one.

Drakeford might be a pain, but a softly soflty approach is the best approach.
At the end of the day we can't hide away, if we can't fully unlock at the height of summer when can we unlock?

Originally lockdown was to protect the NHS now there's no chance of that happening, the reasons for lockdown seem to have been extended.All adults in Wales have been offered at least 1 vaccine, over half the population in Qales have had 2 vaccines. There's been no recorded outbreaks linked to ice rinks in the rest of the UK. The virus is spreading mostly in unvaccinated young people who aren't socially distancing, meeting in each others homes etc. Deaths in Wales are minimal & have been for weeks.

There's being cautious and then there's being over cautious and Drakeford is the latter. What's the point of Wales having great vaccination success and not making use of it?

august04 2.0

No more comments from me on the political rights and wrongs after this post. Those in charge all over the UK have done a great job in scaring people half to death over this (including me). While some of us want to get on with our lives now that vaccination is so far advanced in the adult population in Wales and are happy to take the risks that inevitably come with getting out of bed every morning, there are clearly those who are more cautious and I do understand that, even if I don’t agree with it as things stand at the moment. Hopefully, we get the rink open soon and see some hockey in the Autumn - well those of us who want to anyway!

Last edited:
I sincerely hope not anymore. As Franny previously commented on this TAG report “you could drive a Zamboni through the holes in this outdated “evidence””. They’re even quoting pressure on A&E from injuries as a reason to keep IAW closed in that drivel - yet outdoor sports are now being played in large numbers again. It’s pathetic.

NathanG

Im in the "scrap all restrictions camp" and I won't apologise for it. I'm 29 and I've had a titful of restrictions. I will not do it anymore. Done. We've all lost a year of our lives. We're only on this earth for a miniscule amount of time. A year is too much to lose as it is.

If you fear a virus that has a 0.099% death rate then you can continue to hide away and wet the bed as the majority of us get on with our lives.

In closing, I ask, Is that an ignorant, disgusting thing to say? Some might say so but I'm done putting my life on hold. We've vaccinated the most vulnerable in society in order to protect the NHS. What the f*ck is the hold up now?