Increased activity outside IAW …..

Kevlar68

If it's air con it could be to do with plant for ice pad as I used to work for air con company and our engineers also did refrigeration repairs like restaurant walk in fridges and such like.

mjh

Looks as if Drakeford will not give go ahead tomorrow. Looking a bit dodgy now for the new season. Can't leave it too late to open the rink.

august04 2.0

It’s being reported on WalesOnline that no restrictions will be lifted until July, to be announced during Drakeford’s press conference tomorrow. Let‘s see what happens, you never know - but time is running out for those CHL games in August if Todd needs 6 weeks to get ready, after being given the go ahead to open.

pjj365

It’s being reported on WalesOnline that no restrictions will be lifted until July, to be announced during Drakeford’s press conference tomorrow. Let‘s see what happens, you never know - but time is running out for those CHL games in August if Todd needs 6 weeks to get ready, after being given the go ahead to open.
Also reported on BBC Wales lunch time news

NathanG

I didnt think I could despise that administration anymore than I do now. I was thrilled at the rate they got the vaccine out after a slow start. But what is the hold up now?? The bars and pubs I've been to over the last 2 weeks have been packed in Llanelli. Everyone having a good time. No increase in local infection rates.

Hockey arenas in the states are packed. Denmark vs Belgium being played now and the stadium is packed. Seems like the world is moving on and we're stuck with the same silly restrictions. Westminster aren't doing any better either.

On a more positive note, Drakeford has said there won't be another lockdown.

august04 2.0

There are 28 people in hospital in the whole of Wales with COVID and just 1 person in a ventilated intensive care bed. The number of cases is increasing, but that’s inevitable with surge testing in areas where there have been clusters of the Delta variant (particularly in North Wales). If people are not getting seriously ill anymore and we can safely say that is largely the case based on current hospital occupancy, then the vaccines are doing their job. If we trust the vaccines (and the roll out has been spectacular in Wales), there is no excuse not to release restrictions generally and particularly no reason not to give the go ahead to open the ice rink, as they are in England. Let’s hope Drakeford gives the go-ahead tomorrow. If he doesn’t, it must be so frustrating for Kelman, with no justification anymore to keep IAW closed.

pjj365

There are 28 people in hospital in the whole of Wales with COVID and just 1 person in a ventilated intensive care bed. The number of cases is increasing, but that’s inevitable with surge testing in areas where there have been clusters of the Delta variant (particularly in North Wales). If people are not getting seriously ill anymore and we can safely say that is largely the case based on current hospital occupancy, then the vaccines are doing their job. If we trust the vaccines (and the roll out has been spectacular in Wales), there is no excuse not to release restrictions generally and particularly no reason not to give the go ahead to open the ice rink, as they are in England. Let’s hope Drakeford gives the go-ahead tomorrow. If he doesn’t, it must be so frustrating for Kelman, with no justification anymore to keep IAW closed.
Announced last night no change for 4 weeks - let's see what is said at lunch time today
Also today's facts don't matter that much. Governments are basing decisions on today's data for sure but as a basis for modelling the future. One decimal point in the wrong place, one distorted axis on a graph etc. and wrong decisions will be made

moggy#9

Announced last night no change for 4 weeks - let's see what is said at lunch time today
Also today's facts don't matter that much. Governments are basing decisions on today's data for sure but as a basis for modelling the future. One decimal point in the wrong place, one distorted axis on a graph etc. and wrong decisions will be made
Given the fixtures announced with Nottingham are normally what we'd have as preseason games, I'm guessing that we're going to be either skipping the pointless challenge cup group matches our pushing the start of the season back to late September. That would probably account for the slow signing news. I can't blame anyone for caution, but I do wish there was a coordinated UK wide approach for hockey.

Earnie

I wouldn’t expect the Welsh Labour Government to willingly coordinate anything with anybody! (I apologise in advance before anyone has a poke at me!)

pjj365

Given the fixtures announced with Nottingham are normally what we'd have as preseason games, I'm guessing that we're going to be either skipping the pointless challenge cup group matches our pushing the start of the season back to late September. That would probably account for the slow signing news. I can't blame anyone for caution, but I do wish there was a coordinated UK wide approach for hockey.
You are forgetting CHL home games at the back end August
Presumably given the activity we are gearing up for this but I can envisage games behind c!osed doors. It has frequently been stated that CHL games are loss making so I wonder what the incremental cost of this would be

moggy#9

You are forgetting CHL home games at the back end August
Presumably given the activity we are gearing up for this but I can envisage games behind c!osed doors. It has frequently been stated that CHL games are loss making so I wonder what the incremental cost of this would be
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant a delay to the start of the domestic season. I can see a lot of prep for chl happening in Swindon with no warm up games because no one will be available to play us.

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #16
Although not identical to our position, looks like these guys have had enough of the current decision making by the government:-

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57505736.amp

Can’t see how Drakeford is preventing IAW from re-opening considering current case numbers and hospitalisations. Does he actually realise hardly anyone is following the rules anyway?

Jeez, at least be sensible and allow admission to folk who have had their 2 jabs!

august04 2.0

They haven’t exactly got a good record using these mathematical models though. They’re usually miles off in terms of eventual outcomes!

And as the CHL has been brought up in this thread, it is a bit ridiculous that these games start in August before anyone has really started properly in Europe. I’ve always though that was odd for a flagship EU competition.

Last edited:

moggy#9

They haven’t exactly got a good record using these mathematical models though. They’re usually miles off in terms of eventual outcomes!

And as the CHL has been brought up in this thread, it is a bit ridiculous that these games start in August before anyone has really started properly in Europe. I’ve always though that was odd for a flagship EU competition.
I think that this possibly reflects the difficulties of coordinating the schedules if so many countries. Many teams in top leagues are already doing their preseason conditioning, and because they don't rely as much in imports it probably makes minimal difference to them.

Saw something on one of my friend's Instagram stories that looked to be one of the staff members at IAW doing mechanical work on a zamboni. So it checks out that they could be preparing for a re-opening - whenever that may be.

august04 2.0

Saw something on one of my friend's Instagram stories that looked to be one of the staff members at IAW doing mechanical work on a zamboni. So it checks out that they could be preparing for a re-opening - whenever that may be.
They might be getting ready but Drakeford made it quite clear that there would be no further releasing of restrictions for another 4 weeks. It would be a big risk for Kelman to do too much before then, we might never open with Drippy in charge!

Last edited: