Increased activity outside IAW …..

NathanG

It's was mentioned on here a day or so ago but I wonder if it would be possible to use the rink at Swindon for our warm up and CHL games. I really don't understand why the IAW can't open when bars in Wales are packed on weekends. I can't see us having full capacity for spectators either until next year. This Drakeford is an absolute tool.

mjh

The only other rink, as far as I'm aware, is in Deeside. Talking about two facilities. Two. Not too much to ask to get them open.

pjj365

The only other rink, as far as I'm aware, is in Deeside. Talking about two facilities. Two. Not too much to ask to get them open.
Can't find the link at the moment but Dragons posted they're a writing off the 21/22 season due to lack of certainty so getting rinks open asap will surely help them

Earnie

The Owners are in a very difficult situation . Drakeford and co. love controlling us and the media attention. We have to prepare as if things will be all go before long. It’s a hard decision but they can not leave it too late.

Hedd Wyn John

The trouble is since the government doesn't like taking the blame for covid deaths they will keep restrictions going for as long as possible even though Wales has had no covid deaths for weeks. It used to be about stopping the NHS from getting overwhelmed now the strategy seems to stop covid deaths completely. I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if Drakeford kept restrictions for months on end. Since covid is seasonal we'll probably get another case rise in autumn, slap bang when hockey season starts up again. I don't want to be a negative Nigel but I'm worried. If we can't fully unlock at the height of summer when can we?

august04 2.0

Good grief, one of the 4 reasons given by the Welsh Gov for keeping ice rinks closed, is the potential increased pressure on A&E services, through potential injuries!!! What a load of tripe. Yet outdoor sports are allowed, which I’m sure cause far more injuries and hospital visits throughout Wales. And the risk of catching COVID from surfaces has now been debunked too. Ice rink users should be protesting at the Senedd over this nonsense.
https://gov.wales/sites/default/fil...p-sars-cov-2-infection-risks-at-ice-rinks.pdf

BostonBart22

Cant see no reason IAW is not open or about to open tbh according to hancock 2 vaccines are job done and go about our buisness , ok saying that, but when, the way its dragging on we wont see CHL at our rink anyway, might get slated but may as well give steelers our place in CHL as they can use their rink, just cant see Drakeford and crew backing down, hope i,m wrong...

NathanG

I think legal action should be considered. But unfortunately that could be a lengthy process.

Drakeford ignored the evidence surrounding the gyms for months. Gym users and owners marched on the Senedd building. I think we should do similar.

I got a response from my local Labour AM. "It was discussed but the time isn't right."

Glad i didn't vote for them.

mjh

I think legal action should be considered. But unfortunately that could be a lengthy process.

Drakeford ignored the evidence surrounding the gyms for months. Gym users and owners marched on the Senedd building. I think we should do similar.

I got a response from my local Labour AM. "It was discussed but the time isn't right."

Glad i didn't vote for them.

I wonder when they think the time will be right? Probably long after the business has ceased to exist. Get that rink open! We need to start a WG 'get your skates on' campaign.

SteveKing

I’m not a conspiracy theorist. I’m not an activist. I try to deal in common sense and logic. I was totally fine with the unusual powers that governments around the world used last year. Nobody knew exactly what we were dealing with. Deaths and overrun hospitals had to take precedence over civil liberties.

The logic and common sense have now changed. Realistically, every vulnerable person in any first world country has either been vaccinated or has chosen not to be. Covid is now (and will continue to be in the future) another one of dozens of health risks that we all take every day that we get out of bed. It sucks but that‘s life unfortunately.

So each of us evaluate our own risk profile and tolerance and make our life decisions accordingly. Nobody can or should make those decisions for us.

The outrageous inconsistency of the government’s decision to keep the arena closed is confusing but more so very disturbing. Vulnerable people or the health care system are not at stake here. So what is their right to take that away from people? Obviously aside from the ice sports that all of us love, this threatens to have a massive impact on our beloved Devils. Our players need to be on the ice. Our plans need to be in place for fixtures in August.

it’s time to start making ourselves heard as other groups have. I encourage everyone to do whatever you can to make our cause heard and make sure this club is still bringing joy not just this year but for the next 100.

End rant!

mjh

I’m not a conspiracy theorist. I’m not an activist. I try to deal in common sense and logic. I was totally fine with the unusual powers that governments around the world used last year. Nobody knew exactly what we were dealing with. Deaths and overrun hospitals had to take precedence over civil liberties.

The logic and common sense have now changed. Realistically, every vulnerable person in any first world country has either been vaccinated or has chosen not to be. Covid is now (and will continue to be in the future) another one of dozens of health risks that we all take every day that we get out of bed. It sucks but that‘s life unfortunately.

So each of us evaluate our own risk profile and tolerance and make our life decisions accordingly. Nobody can or should make those decisions for us.

The outrageous inconsistency of the government’s decision to keep the arena closed is confusing but more so very disturbing. Vulnerable people or the health care system are not at stake here. So what is their right to take that away from people? Obviously aside from the ice sports that all of us love, this threatens to have a massive impact on our beloved Devils. Our players need to be on the ice. Our plans need to be in place for fixtures in August.

it’s time to start making ourselves heard as other groups have. I encourage everyone to do whatever you can to make our cause heard and make sure this club is still bringing joy not just this year but for the next 100.

End rant!

Good to hear from you Steve. Is there a chance the organisation and fan council can meet with Welsh Government to further promote the issue or has this option been exhausted? Petitions have been started, many will have written to their Senedd members, what else can we do? Can the league and larger sporting bodies be encouraged to lobby WG? Any ideas and suggestions welcome.

SteveKing

Good question. I’ll talk to Todd. He’s been in constant communication with the government and he’s provided them with a huge amount of facts showing why we can not only open the rink but open it with fans. I have no idea why we are being treated so differently than other sports and activities.