Import Netminders or Additional Skaters?

Rich Best

The kid should be banging Lordo's door down for icetime - otherwise why stick around and hardly ever play!
Glad he is hanging around, he played an important part in winning us the league last year when Bownsey was out for 5 or 6 games (from memory). He hasn't been used much this year but who knows what the longer term plans are.

august04

Murdy is way under used and the opposite applies to Bowns, who at this rate will be burnt out if he’s not careful. He’s too good to waste a career sat doing nothing game in, game out. If Lord doesn’t think he’s good enough to start (and even when Bowns is struggling, he is loathe to put Murdy in) and he continues to be sat on the bench without getting a look in, then he needs to demand more game time or go somewhere else to develop his game, which surely must be stagnating when you’re not getting any game time. Personally, I think he’s up to it and I can’t understand why he gets so little ice time.

RedDevil17

Glad he is hanging around, he played an important part in winning us the league last year when Bownsey was out for 5 or 6 games (from memory). He hasn't been used much this year but who knows what the longer term plans are.
Once again I disagree with the majority of your post:

For starters Bowns and Murdy are pretty much the same age. Bowns is 28 and Murdy is 27 so there is no ‘long term plan as of yet in terms of them two. The only long term plan is for Lawday who is 20 and isn’t quite ready yet. Murdy on the other hand doesn’t get a single look in which is wrong and he needs to find somewhere to improve his overall game. He’s too good to be a backup playing 1/2 games a season so no it’s not good he’s ‘staying around’ in his mind because it’s totally unfair on the lad. He has great technical ability as shown in the warmup and he’s a good shot stopper as well. Surely that’s enough to warrant more games?

Yes it was good when he was playing 5/6 games when Bowns was injured but that’s nowhere near enough ice time for a solid goalie like Murdy. He deserves more icetime than he’s getting end of story. I’d go for Killeen/Bowns combo and let Murdy go to a team where he plays week in week out even if it’s for a team like Blaze where they all love him there or Dundee even. He’s good enough for them! Lord doesn’t trust him for reasons unknown. How are we meant to develop GB goalies and give them a chance to be a starter for the national team if they’re on the bench every week? Don’t get me wrong Bowns is a fantastic goalie and we’re lucky to have him but when he’s looking shaky (ie the Sheffield game) Lord needs to have more trust in the Mad Dog and put him in.

Last edited:

Devil94

Why would Killeen, a good goalie in the prime of his career stay in the British League only to play half the games?

And why would Bownsy want to play less here? He's been very consistent and successful over the last 4 years playing in 95%> of the games, I see no reason to change that?

If Bownsy gets a chance in Europe, as he is hoping I believe, we would be in a position to get a better goalie than Killeen as our #1.

kingmo19.1

Why would Killeen, a good goalie in the prime of his career stay in the British League only to play half the games?

And why would Bownsy want to play less here? He's been very consistent and successful over the last 4 years playing in 95%> of the games, I see no reason to change that?

If Bownsy gets a chance in Europe, as he is hoping I believe, we would be in a position to get a better goalie than Killeen as our #1.
Presume you don’t rate Killeen too highly as his team ended bottom of the league?

His save% age was superior to Bownsey for almost the entire season! Imagine what he’d be like with our D in front of him.

Devil94

He's a good goalie who has done admirably well at MK.
I think he's proven he is good enough to make the step up to Glasgow, Fife etc, or back to European leagues to a similar quality to ours.
But realistically if us or Belfast are looking for a new netminder we'll look for better.
And I still can't see why at both being 28, Bowns and Killeen would be happy at playing half the matches. If Ben wants to stay, he would want to play as he does now, and rightly so. He's showing no signs of slowing down and has won us many trophies.

mjh

Bownsy is a strong net minder and a key part of our team. He's shutting teams out more regularly in recent weeks (some exceptions I know) and he's undisputed number 1. Most fans are happy with that being the case. I do feel for Murdy though as he's good in his own right. Wouldn't begrudge him a move to somewhere he' d get more ice time but then we'd have to go and recruit someone else willing to settle for a minor role unless Lawday steps up. Danger being any injury to Bowns meaning we need strong understudy to take on responsibility. I feel Murdy covers that role well and has done since he's been with us. On the whole I'd be happy if we kept the majority of this team together for next year.