Import Netminders or Additional Skaters?

august04

A perfectly valid argument if we could find a Brit from elsewhere good enough to replace one of our imports. If you replace Bowns with an import NM you have to replace an import with a Brit or we go back to 3 lines (which is never going to happen). I can’t think of many Brits who are better than any of our imports, let alone factoring whether we could afford them or whether they’d want to come here.
I’m not advocating replacing Bowns by the way. I’d like two goalies capable of starting regularly and Bowns would be one of those.

Ocko

Sorry @august04 my post wasn’t aimed at you. FWIW I think we over play Bowns. 80 odd games is ridiculous at this level and it’s only a matter of time before he burns out or gets injured.

How we rotate him I don’t know as I mentioned in my previous post that without an adequate extra Brit I can’t see how it’s feasable to rotate Bowns and an import - as IMO there aren’t any Brit NMs capable of regularly starting games at this level.

Thread starter #23
Sorry @august04 my post wasn’t aimed at you. FWIW I think we over play Bowns. 80 odd games is ridiculous at this level and it’s only a matter of time before he burns out or gets injured.

How we rotate him I don’t know as I mentioned in my previous post that without an adequate extra Brit I can’t see how it’s feasable to rotate Bowns and an import - as IMO there aren’t any Brit NMs capable of regularly starting games at this level.
sign Bownsy and Jackson whistle, I can't believe that Jackson is happy at Shuff and Cardiff develop their players see how Ben has improved Fournier and etc.

Thread starter #25
£44k and they are still looking to sign an import netminder! He did look that confident at the beginning of the season I wonder if he'll stay?

Fair to say, if his agent made that deal he played an absolute blinder :)

What is it, a 35 week season? £44k / 35 = £1,257.14 a week !!!!

Include on top of that wheels + accommodation! Not bad.
Or about £500/game - everything is relative and when you contrast that with Aaron Ramsey at £400k/week, Whistle seems like a bargain - or has football just lost the plot!

kingmo19.1

Or about £500/game - everything is relative and when you contrast that with Aaron Ramsey at £400k/week, Whistle seems like a bargain - or has football just lost the plot!
That’s akin to comparing apples to oranges.

I think Whistle has done very well indeed to secure such a deal. Let’s see if he’s there next year :)

(They’d probably be better off with Ramsey in goal). :)

ASHIPP

Think this discussion is irrelevant. Whichever option an EIHL team decide upon (either Brit goalies and extra import skater , or the other option), both those players have to be effective and productive to make it work.

august04

Bownsey did a pretty good job of answering this thread this weekend !!!!
Not really. He’s been superb this weekend but my argument anyway was never about the ability of Bowns and replacing him. It was about helping Bowns by having two goalies capable of starting games. He’s way overused at the moment and this may have career longevity implications further down the line.

kingmo19.1

Not really. He’s been superb this weekend but my argument anyway was never about the ability of Bowns and replacing him. It was about helping Bowns by having two goalies capable of starting games. He’s way overused at the moment and this may have career longevity implications further down the line.
Its a nice idea, but it'll never happen. Can't see the powers that be shelling out big money for a resource that's going to sit on his @rse 50% of the time with Bowns also sitting on his @rse the 50% of the time.

Can only see us going into the Netminder marketplace if Bownsey suffers a long term injury.

august04

Its a nice idea, but it'll never happen. Can't see the powers that be shelling out big money for a resource that's going to sit on his @rse 50% of the time with Bowns also sitting on his @rse the 50% of the time.

Can only see us going into the Netminder marketplace if Bownsey suffers a long term injury.
Bowns can't continue to carry the load so heavily without impacting form/longevity in my opinion. Let's see....

RedDevil17

Apologies for opening up an old thread but now that MK have left the league maybe we can now have a Bowns/Killeen combo as of next season? Can't see Murdy being here next year and should go for the sake of his own career. He's wasting it by being here and getting no minutes. Bowns can’t continue playing ever single game because it’ll become too extreme plus it’s unfair on him not having a rest every now and then as well as he’s done the past few seasons

Diablo3

Problem is, I suspect both of them would want maximum ice time given they are both top notch minders. I'd go for it if they would.