Ice Rink - DUBLIN

Earnie

Thread starter #1
In today’s Press in Ireland there is interest growing to build an Ice Rink in the West of the city of Dublin.
It would be private money . This has been brought about by Olympic interest and the lack of facilities in the South. It does mention use for Ice Hockey. That would be exciting if they became part of the Elite League and we could get some DutyFree on the way!

Earnie

Thread starter #3
The distance between Belfast and Dublin by road is about one hundred miles more or less. Bit like Cardiff to Tenby.

moggy#9

What sort of capacity would they have, I wonder. I'd think they'd need at least 3000 and good sponsorship to cover the travel costs of the elite league.

moggy#9

I would guess that there are multiple reasons for choosing a particular size of building. They probably thought about what they had originally plus a certain percentage, not about the size of market and what could be achieved. Places like Bristol, Plymouth, Brighton, Southampton and Leeds could easily support a 3000 capacity with the right marketing and product IMO.

pjj365

I would guess that there are multiple reasons for choosing a particular size of building. They probably thought about what they had originally plus a certain percentage, not about the size of market and what could be achieved. Places like Bristol, Plymouth, Brighton, Southampton and Leeds could easily support a 3000 capacity with the right marketing and product IMO.
Jamie said on one of his Devils TV stints that they have room to grow to about 2000

Gough60

Could there be an issue with them joining the EIHL (should a. it gets built & b. They wish to provide a team) as they are not part of the UK and are a EU country. Work permits etc.

Earnie

Thread starter #13
Good question Ffil06. Where there is a will there is a way as they say. However not much will going around with politics at the moment!

moggy#9

Could there be an issue with them joining the EIHL (should a. it gets built & b. They wish to provide a team) as they are not part of the UK and are a EU country. Work permits etc.
I honestly don't know how it would work. If they want to play hockey though, they would have little choice but to play in a UK league.

This does raise some interesting questions about league expansion. Places like Bristol and Leeds would be obvious candidates if it were economically viable. At present we'd only have to lose 2 or 3 clubs to cause the league to collapse. If it weren't for three next mess, is be looking at enticing Rouen or a Dutch team in.

Last edited:

Gospel

On the question of visas, it would be the same as when we play CHL or those teams come to the UK. I dont think there is a visa that allows multiple entries to the UK for sporting purposes. I would say, sadly, this is a non starter for the EIHL, in the current climate and rules currently in place.

moggy#9

On the question of visas, it would be the same as when we play CHL or those teams come to the UK. I dont think there is a visa that allows multiple entries to the UK for sporting purposes. I would say, sadly, this is a non starter for the EIHL, in the current climate and rules currently in place.
Sadly that would make hockey in any meaningful, competitive sense impossible for them then.

Hedd Wyn John

The UK and Ireland have a deal called the Common Travel Area which allows UK citizens to live and work in Ireland and Irish citizens to live and work in the UK. No visas or work permits required.

Just think of the rugby - United Rugby Championship. Teams from Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Italy & South Africa all play in a league together.

Last edited: