IAW arena Steps and the need for Handrails

Russky

Thread starter #1
While we are all appreciative, and grateful for the hard work that Sorac. Cardiff Council and Greenbank have done in bringing the IAW into existence there was one glaring omission that was obvious to me on first visit for the game last night.

This is an definite and necessary need for handrails on ALL the steps between the seated blocks. This is a an obvious health and safety issue. Whilst I acknowledge the rake or angle of the steps from bottom to top is not excessive, this is of no comfort to those who are a less steady on their feet or even have the need to walk with the aid of a stick(s, unlike most of the Devils fanbase. Personally I would not consider trying to walk up or down the steps without holding on to a handrail. I am not exactly without difficulty in this area due to a 'balance mechanism' problem related to my partial deafness. I and one other member of the Devils fanbase witnessed a gentleman stumble and almost fall last night as he climbed the steps and he was particularly unsteady on his feet, needing something to hold onto. Also I witnessed people walking up and down the steps whilst carrying plastic glasses of beer, they too were wary of falling and consequently took their time negotiating the said steps back to their seats.

Having conducted a little internet research, I found out that the Sports arenas in the USA have such handrails on their stairs/steps, they have them so they comply stringent sports arena regulations. surely such regulations exist here in the UK under the Sport Arena building and usage regulations.

There is obviously a need for such handrails at the rink for the reasons I have stated above and hope that the relevant arena management team will see this post and take points made onboard.

Ocko

I don't think regulations exist as no other rink or arena in the league has them and the millennium stadium only has them sporadically even though that's huge with almost 40 rows in per tier in some parts.

Neither the BBT or WNIR had them so I doubt their will be much appetite as it will certainly impair the sight lines.

youngbob

Finny said:
Steps at Cardiff City Stadium are steeper and no handrails.

I thought that was the point in the lift?
Lift gets you from bottom to top or vice versa, not to the individual rows between

If someone has trouble getting to row D, for instance, the lift is no help at all

I'm sure there must be a way to add handrails without spoiling the sight lies, such as by height above the steps, or having them parallel to steps, rather than the slope

Tyke Devil

IIRC both Sheffield and Nottingham Arenas have handrails running down the middle of the stairways. Can't recall them spoiling views. They only need to be 1m high. They shouldn't affect views towards the ice if you factor in the angle of the steps.

The stairwells would need to be 2.4m wide to have these as you will need 1.2m width for each the 2 channels that putting in a middle handrail would create.

Remember these new buildings must be designed with the needs of the ambulant disabled (who can access all areas with only minor support and assistance) in mind and not just those visitors with impairments that require special seating arrangements.

youngbob

davew said:
Perhaps the club shouldn't have used the back two rows of seating for corporate seating....
Corporate boxes are above the seating, so seating needs to be adjacent to them, can't imagine many companies stumping a few grand, to be told you don't get the best seats, next to where you have you food and drink

Plus you'd be back to the BBT problem of sponsor's guests walking around during games

davew

youngbob said:
davew said:
Perhaps the club shouldn't have used the back two rows of seating for corporate seating....
Corporate boxes are above the seating, so seating needs to be adjacent to them, can't imagine many companies stumping a few grand, to be told you don't get the best seats, next to where you have you food and drink

Plus you'd be back to the BBT problem of sponsor's guests walking around during games
That seating is in block 3 and that is completely acceptable, it seems to me though, that the majority of other blocks have had their back two rows dedicated to corporate seating ( it was that way on ST choice day).

jimmy snels

Agree i was a bit put out on the day being 12th on the list only to find almost every back row seat on both sides of the rink had already gone.

I can see why people would need these, a handrail in the centre of stairs would suffice,I just hope it doesn't take a serious fall for IAW to act.

mazza03

I am very unsteady on my feet and wont go up the steps unless my daughter is behind me, that's why we picked lower row. Hand rails would be a plus.

Johnnybravo1927

jimmy snels said:
Agree i was a bit put out on the day being 12th on the list only to find almost every back row seat on both sides of the rink had already gone.

I see what you are saying and agree to an extent but corporate seats cost more money to buy. Same as any event anywhere, pay more for the best seats. At the end of thevday, the club has to make money for there to be a club in existence.

Building control would not have let the building open if there was a legal necessity for handrails but that being said, it sounds to me like they would be a welcome addition and wouldnt obscure any views

Johnnybravo1927 said:
jimmy snels said:

I see what you are saying and agree to an extent but corporate seats cost more money to buy. Same as any event anywhere, pay more for the best seats. At the end of thevday, the club has to make money for there to be a club in existence.

Building control would not have let the building open if there was a legal necessity for handrails but that being said, it sounds to me like they would be a welcome addition and wouldnt obscure any views
Re: Building control. On the whole you are correct however I took over the management of a new 5-storey building only a year or so ago where you had fully opening windows and a cill height of maybe 500mm. Should never have been approved. Oops! I've got plenty of other examples. These things tend to come to light when a building becomes operational. Usually easy fixes.

One thing I should have mentioned that it is not just the physical building layout/construction when it comes to things like this. The management of the building is equally if not more important. So if you do/may have issues with moving around the building let people know in advance. I am certain that IAW and Devils will be more than happy to provide assistance.

pjj365

My wife would welcome hand rails but as a mini fix and by accident we have a fix

Being in Row G we only use the ground floor on arriving to buy progs. visit cafe etc. After that we go up/down to the upper walkway then use proper stairs through the bar

Not the best for flexibilty of choice but a necessity - so yes the issue should be looked at. We have seen too many people struggling/nervous as things stand

Not quite sure why this is an issue, as the steps in BBT were much steeper.

You can sit either near the top or the bottom, and avoid stairs if you need to.

mazza03

BBW said:
Not quite sure why this is an issue, as the steps in BBT were much steeper.

You can sit either near the top or the bottom, and avoid stairs if you need to.
Not so much an issue more an observation, the steps in the BBT had hand rails either side to hang on to. As a lady of advancing years I find it quite hard to ascend steps/stairs without something to hang on too, usually my daughter at the moment :p

Milky

jimmy snels said:
There are no Corporate season tickets holders on the opposite side of the rink. They are pretty much all in blocks 18,19 and 20.