How important is the CHL

moggy#9

Thread starter #61
Seemed a bit rich the Liberec coach describing the giants as being like something out of slapshot. I think that Saturday will be very interesting as a DEL team should cope well which physicality.

T10P

Was watching it on the CHL site so had different commentators and could hear the micced up refs. They seem to be making it up as they went along, one second 2+2 +10 next minute it’s a 5+ game lol clueless. Must have tossed a coin or something . No idea how the lib guy got 5+ for taking a beating from raine. Entertaining game, happy giants got the win, albeit with the help of the officials.

jenks33

Fair play what a statement by Belfast. Mullen is going to score a hatful of points for them, particularly on the PP. The two players I was jealous of them signing (Hamilton and Reddox) were also excellent. Ward also impressed.
They already look formidable

Mooney#16

In fairness I thought the refs were ok. They upgraded the penalty after Dalton as linesman interjected so he might have given a different angle. It was a pretty cheap play and would have got answered so prob best to throw him out from a game management perspective. Their were quite a few dodgy plays from both sides but Liberec clearly got a victim complex hence his disrespectful comment. Be a very interesting re match. With a home team ref my bet is Giants get hammered by the officials.

And I could be wrong but in CHL aren’t all fights a 5+ Game automatic.

moggy#9

Thread starter #67
What did the Liberec coach say? Anybody got a link?
I watched Freeport's, so don't have a link. He refused to criticise his team's lack of discipline and said that the last time he saw anything like Belfast's tactics it was in slapshot. IIRC he accused them of blind side hits.

CaldicotDevil

Was watching it on the CHL site so had different commentators and could hear the micced up refs. They seem to be making it up as they went along, one second 2+2 +10 next minute it’s a 5+ game lol clueless. Must have tossed a coin or something . No idea how the lib guy got 5+ for taking a beating from raine. Entertaining game, happy giants got the win, albeit with the help of the officials.
I’ve never seen a fight in the CHL before but is it a 5min game penalty for a fight?

T10P

I’ve never seen a fight in the CHL before but is it a 5min game penalty for a fight?
He didn’t fight though kept his gloves and tried to just hold him and cover up. He failed, took a beating, hit the ice and was chucked out lol. Poor guy.

Was the pelech hit clean? Looked borderline high and the guy came out of it with a busted lip. Seem to be what started all of the tit for tat.

CaldicotDevil

He didn’t fight though kept his gloves and tried to just hold him and cover up. He failed, took a beating, hit the ice and was chucked out lol. Poor guy.

Was the pelech hit clean? Looked borderline high and the guy came out of it with a busted lip. Seem to be what started all of the tit for tat.
It wasn’t a fight, Raine was a lucky boy. He made a few sloppy give aways and I think it was frustration blowing over.

Thought the Pelech hit could of gone either way, initially I though no but after the replays I was swaying towards high. The hit on Forsberg I was baffled it didn’t get called for being high. Right in front of the ref, late and it was obvious retaliation for the Pelech hit.

Last edited:

Gaz G

Not an answer to the original question but how does the draw for the next round work? Is it standard, pick names out of a hat or winner of group A plays second of group H etc?

Be great to get through and draw Tappara Tampere.

pjj365

Not an answer to the original question but how does the draw for the next round work? Is it standard, pick names out of a hat or winner of group A plays second of group H etc?

Be great to get through and draw Tappara Tampere.
Looks like winners Pot A runners up Pot B then draw for A v B

moggy#9

Thread starter #78
Looks like winners Pot A runners up Pot B then draw for A v B
Given some of the unexpected results, that may not work out as giving group winners an easier ride. I'm trying not to think about such things at the moment. I'm assuming that frolunda will be back on form by the time we play them, so the next two games are crucial.